NBC, NBC Sports, NBCU Networks No Longer Available via TV Everywhere Providers

I was thinking about this too. I grew up in a rural area and we could only get 5 or 6 channels, sometimes a few more depending on the weather.

While it’s disappointing channels can no longer record NBCU, it’s not like I’m losing one of 5 channels.

If you like bravo programming, and can wait a day, the peacock ap is pretty good. And can download most shows on the go.

To the developers, is there any hope that channels could one day work with DRM content? Or should prepare for the “new normal”?

1 Like

Just tried with Arc Browser and it does not work. Arc is new and still invite only, likely only a matter of time before the add widevine.

So for a whole bunch of years I've had TVE set to record MSNBC starting at 5am and we watch it starting about 90 minutes later while we get ready for work and I'm able to fast forward through commercials.
Is there any solution out there now that will allow that?
I see PlayOnCloud requires you to wait until the show is over to begin play back so that's not an option.
The cable provider login we're using isn't so much for the same location I'm in so the Homerun products won't work..
I assume we have to switch to CNN for the morning news shows now... Thanks!

1 Like

Well, there's Newsmax for free...

4 Likes

Same, I record RAW and other shows. Trying to find the perfect solution. But haven’t landed on anything. Shooting closer for Audials.

I have a bunch of Custom Channels (via Pluto, Stirr, Plex, Samsung+, etc.) and when I search for NBC News Now it shows up 4 times in the list so yeah, probably one of those. It also plays freely at NBC News NOW | NBC News without even having to log in. So I figured it wasn't the same kind of protected stream? I'm sure it's much more complex than that, though.

1 Like

KeepStreams doesn’t record in real time. Somehow they download the full video. But KeepStreams, Streamfab are super expensive and not willing to invest into that. Going to purchase Audials. Just got manually record my show Monday Night RAW live on the USA network every Monday or I can record the playback of the show on the USA network website after it gets posted on there the next day. Or I can record it from Hulu as well. Cost of Audials is like $38 dollars.

My Spectrum app is available thru Apple TV. I can use the same remote in that case, however, I still have to stop Channels app, start Spectrum app (not as user friendly as Channels, then reverse to get back to Channels.

I prefer to use Channels with the Amazon Fire Stick. For some reason, my "On Now" displays differently using the Fire Stick than it does using Channels on the Apple TV.

Here is what my On Now looks like using Fire Stick:
IMG_3006
The programs all have a thumbnail of the program that is on, as well as, showing the network. I am a visual person, so this works well for me.

Here is what my On Now looks like on Apple TV:
IMG_3007
Instead of thumbnails, a lot of channels only show the network logo or will have the name of the program, but no thumbnail.

I do have the Spectrum DVR. I only use it to watch programs that did not record properly in Channels. It does not have commercial skip and other features that I enjoy using Channels. I personally find that the Spectrum app is not as user friendly as Channels.

I'm pretty much a geek when it comes to technology, so it is not lack of ability that prevents me from using Spectrum through Apple TV. Due to recent events, it looks like I will have to get over that as I will have no choice but to watch some of my recorded programs from the Spectrum DVR.

They say all good things must come to an end, but I am hopeful that the future will bring back these networks into Channels. To be fair, I'm still waiting for Locast to return! :flushed: :blush:

2 Likes

I was wondering what happened to the NBC Sports channels. Too bad TVE is going DRM because I like some of those other NBC owned channels like USA and MSNBC. Luckily, I still have those channels with my HDHR Prime with Comcast.

One thing I did notice when I was checking TVE channels for the first time in probably a year is that now I can get TVE Comedy Central, CMT, TVLand, etc. I guess that kind of makes up for some of the missing NBC channels.

4 Likes

Seems like you enabled the "logos only" option for your TVE source in settings under Manage Sources

1 Like

WNBC NY Continues to work via TVE for me. My authentication is via Verizon FIOS if that matters. I'm running beta Version 2023.04.20.0310.

2 Likes

Just now in safari ipad
NBC live works all channels subset (listed on the nbc grid)
For web viewing anyway….

1 Like

I agree, I’d pay more to get these channels back. I am new to Channels and basically used it for USA and the locals, now 2 of those 3 are gone. I was just getting ready to cancel all my other stuff cause Channels was working so well for my household but now seems like I’ll b getting rid of channels. I’d pay an extra $5 a month to get it back.

1 Like

I get all the locals using an HDHomeRun. My wife will miss being able to time-shift the Bravo Top Chef series. Sometimes I have watched MSNBC but as I have no need to record it, I can use the NBC app which I can authenticate to.

This is a bummer, but no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The docker for TugoTV will replace many of the channels at a minimum of cost.

Thank you to the Channels developers and extended developers for continuing to build out an exceptional TV watching experience!

4 Likes

They did not loose "millions" of viewers. Very few people get NBC stations through TVE. Most all are covered by Antenna, Cable Providers, or streaming services like Fubo. TVE viewers are a tiny minority that nobody cares about.

1 Like

That's why I called it "a wishful dream."

And it's spelled "lose," not "loose."

1 Like

Good question... any answers?

I love Channels. But it seems like a good path to examine is a merger or Channels being acquired by someone like  who may have the resources to support DRM. Honestly, this is the best television experience I've ever seen. But if most of our channels are eventually going to go DRM, we need to find a way for the current devs to be able to afford making that happen; Or, alternately, the Devs should see if there is someone out there with deeper pockets that might wish to take it on. I can totally see  being interested, especially with Channel's ability to use over the air sources.

The ideal solution is to remain independent. But I'd prefer that they look into being acquired rather than die a slow death by DRM,

Thanks for the information. Is there any way we can get email notifications when channels drop off? I only found out about this because I noticed I was missing recordings this morning. There was no notification in the app until I went into my scheduled recordings and saw an error from a previously scheduled recording. I wouldn't have known if it hadn't impacted something I wanted to watch this morning.

3 Likes