NBC TVE looking great for SB

I know we all like to bag on TVE quality but I have to say the TVE nbc feed right now is looking fantastic.

1 Like

The last I checked (see my post here) all NBC Universal channels on TVE streamed at 1080p 29.97fps with a bit rate of 8.2 Mb/s. That's why they look pretty good.

I'm recording the SB now. Once it's over, I will check the recording details to update my spreadsheet. I'm curious to see if they changed anything for the SB.

Watching football at 29.97 fps is terrible, unless you are watching on your phone.

4 Likes

It looked great on peacock. 1080p/60.

No phone - 77 oled. I can only compare to football from earlier this season from fios feeding a TiVo w/ cable cards and it was as good or better.

I’ve been watching 29.97fps tv and 24fps movies my whole life I guess my old ass just doesn’t know any better.

Just trying to throw out a positive thought in a forum full of complaints and arguments.

2 Likes

yup. and NBC is the only one of the big four that doesn't broadcast the TVE feed in 60fps.

2 Likes

I don't think it's the frame rate. NBC's Olympic video quality is all over the place. Some events are gorgeous and others meh. It is all at 1080/30 FPS. Many look like low quality optics (lenses) and others like pore transcoding from the European broadcast standard. I suspect they have not invested in the servers and cameras necessary to do a superb job. Then they wonder why viewing is down.

The TVE broadcast of the Super Bowl signal was 1080p, instead of 1080i. It also used AVC encoding, at nearly the same bitrate as the MPEG-2 OTA channel. However sound was still just 2ch audio. If only it had AC3 audio...

I watched my recording of the Phoenix Open from OTA CBS, also 29.97 fps.
Interesting thing, I watched a good bit on speed of 1.25
Sometimes it played fairly smooth, the ball rolled smoothly, just a tiny tiny bit of judder.
Sometimes it played with a lot of judder !!
I wonder if, some cameras are 29.97 and some are 60fps??!!
Does anyone know where the fps originates, in the camera or do they reduce the fps for efficiency and bandwidth and then why does it seem to change.
Just wondering, inquiring minds want to know !

Another question. Convert 30fps to 60fps.
I wonder if it would ever be possible for ChannelsDVR to include an option
to convert recordings, or maybe convert on the fly,
30fps to 60fps.
There are such converters, I've never used so I don't know if it actually works well.
And I agree, sports like football look much better at 60fps.

1 Like

Do you want to go from 1080/30 to 720/60? There the same. Also 1080/30 interlaced is the same as 1080/60 interlaced. It's about the data, not the frame rate. Our eyes can't see the difference at about 18 FPS. One could up res and gain a little yet a bad source is a bad source

LOL.
Garbage in, Garbage out.
BUT, yet, I think I see a difference between my Cox dvr box on football, it says 1080p/60fps( if believable)
and the TVE stream which is likely 30fps, its not as smooth.

What do you mean by smooth? Do you mean there is stutter?

Yes, a "judder", not pronounced, but it looks like it needs more frames.
But funny thing, If I watch what I know is 30fps, after a while I don't see the slight choppiness.
The brain is a wonderful thing, it fixes things !

I don't have a problem with the PQ of TVE. It's the janky stuttering and authentication issues.

1 Like

Yeah i noticed this with TVE for all the NBC channels, USA, Olympic Channel, they're all 30fps and not the smooth 60 fps. It's really noticeable and distracting during hockey games and other sports with lots of constant motion. If all tv was 30 fps in the past, i don't know why my brain doesn't like it anymore

Re: the stuttering, if you use Appletv with match framerate and content on + experimental video drivers, it looks perfect. I have absolutely no stuttering whatsoever. You cannot tell a difference between my TVE content and HDHR.

Can you give me a run down of what settings you use as I've played with them a lot and couldn't find a good combination. Are these all settings in Channels, or are you changing the Apple Tv's video settings as well?

I'm also curious to know what settings in the app you are using. Specifically, do you also have Deinterlacing mode set to experimental? And is match frame rate for Live TV set to On or Off?

Basically my config is this:
Appletv -
March content and frame rate on
4KSDR resolution

Channels DVR
Latest testflight beta
Video - experimental
Deinterlacer - experimental
Audio - default

TV settings (very important)
Disable ALL post processing, smoothing, motion flow, enhancers, everything

I have done this on my Sony bravia and my Samsung TV. I was actually thinking my Samsung was broken and needed to be replaced. After disabling all tv processing, it was like night and day. Everything worked perfect. I used to curse TVE for jitter but I really should have cursed the TV manufacturers and their default settings.

It is amazing to me how bad the TV processing is and it is usually turned on by default.

The only content that looks slightly bad is 24fps imported content. You can notice a slight stutter when there are excessive camera pans. Like I said it is very slight and nothing to get worked up about. TVE looks amazing, I have discovery plus and discovery TVE looks way better on channels.

2 Likes