NBCSN steam not live

Another rescan attempt today produced this error "drm not supported". So that's at least 3 different errors I've seen. I tried to load it up in a web browser but it wanted to install flash so I gave up.

For the folks that have this channel working 100% (including the Channels DVR developers), can you please list some additional information about your setup? Things like geographic location, host operating system, chrome version (this seems to be required on Windows?), TV provider used for authentication, etc.

This is so disappointing. The EPL is the only reason I would want this service because I'm usually always working when the games are on. I was excited to record them and watch them as if they were live.

Figures! The one channel I wanted doesn't work.

Yes it seems they have up the ante. Tried to watch the program before the soccer match hoping to leaving it playing and it cross over to the soccer match. But I too got this error:

2020/01/21 13:16:51.527215 [ERR] Failed to start stream for ch6161: TVE: drm not supported
2020/01/21 13:16:51.588031 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6161-dANY-3a68a1f1fdb2: TVE: drm not supported
2020/01/21 13:16:51.588070 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch6161-dANY-3a68a1f1fdb2

Wonder if they're using Adobe DRM, Widevine, or something else. Adobe Flash-based authorization is not supported, but perhaps Widevine libraries could be used?

(Channels' TVE implementation usually uses an external Chrome/Chromium install; however, I believe that Channels may be able to use the libraries for DRM encumbered streams. As an aside, Kodi's Adaptive Input Stream plug-in uses Chrome's Widevine libraries to enable support for Netflix and other DRM-encumbered VOD sites; perhaps this support could be looked into for such situations.)

another game is about to start and of course it doesn't work. I wonder if @eric will ignore it again.

2020/01/22 15:00:22.556590 [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6161-dANY-2ebc19ab2ce3: TVE: drm not supported
2020/01/22 15:00:22.556590 [HLS] Stopping transcoder session ch6161-dANY-2ebc19ab2ce3

you know, i love this software and recommended it to lots of people, but now im getting a bit perturbed by the lack of any information. Even gave @tmm1 a sub account from my service, @maddox never responded to my support email after he asked a question about this channel weeks ago.

if this was a "i don't know how to port forward" thread, or my shield on wifi doesn't work thread, the staff would jump right in. Please don't turn into Plex and their disastrous help forum.

I get this is beta, i get that the team is small, i get that its dependent on third parties, i get all that. I simply ask that you either tell us you cant do it and remove the channel or if you are actively working on this.

thanks.

I'm curious about the DRM error message. Can you stream from their website on a browser without DRM/ERE such as Widevine? Perhaps using plain Chromium, which doesn't have Widevine support by default. (Nor does it have any ERE by default, I believe.)

If you can't stream on a browser without ERE, but you can with, then I imagine that will go a long way towards narrowing the problem, assuming the error message is descriptively correct.

be curious all you want and please, go ahead and try what you suggested. I'm not doing it on my production system and i dont have the time to setup a test environment.

but before your curiosity gets ahead of you, read the entire thread and tell me what you think others that are not part of the company should try because there are multiple errors besides the drm.

but hey! i can now watch channels on the Tesla that i dont own (Watch Channels Full Screen in Teslas) and if i did, i bet NBCSN wont work. i wonder if you can install chromium on a tesla?

official information. thats all that is asked.

There's no official answer because we simply don't know. If we knew what the problem was, we would have just fixed it and pushed out a new build like we always do.

NBC has started applying DRM to some games. We cannot support DRM, so if the programs you're interested in are showing "drm not supported" then you should simply hide the channel and not use it because it is not going to work.

The other errors we're still looking into and don't fully understand what's happening or why it is only happening sometimes.

thank you aman. information is all we asked for, that we never got. we didnt know if you we were working on it and now we know that it hasn't been intentionally forgotten.

TVE support is a beta feature. Also, the TVE endpoints for streams seem to be a constantly moving target. I feel that the developers are being incredibly responsive and proactive with all of the changes needed to make a test-feature work for a quite sizable number of customers.

Perhaps the moving target of NBCSN streams is too taxing and they ought to just remove support for that website. Then they wouldn't need to worry about trying to regularly modify their software to fit your use patterns. If you are able to access the NBCSN streams from their website, then you already have 3 viable options to view that programming:

1. Your cable/OTT provider, using their equipment or app. (You may also be able to use said equipment or app to access DVR functionality.)
  2. NBCSN's app, which provides an interface to access their streams across your devices.
  3. NBCSN's website, which can be accessed from most any device.

Personally, I do not have access to NBCSN streams via the cable/OTT providers I use, so I cannot help you physically troubleshoot. However, properly troubleshooting and providing aid requires some additional effort on your part, too, to help reach a solution. By using prerelease software and beta features, you are essentially volunteering to help test features and aid in their troubleshooting and support. If you do not wish to participate in the beta/prerelease process, then you are not required to do so.

3 Likes

all right dude, we get it, you dont need to carry their water on every thread. read the thread, we understand how things work, we understand its beta, you dont need to lecture people on something you cant yourself use.

don't assume i havent put effort into this because if you did, you wouldnt have to tell me that i dont have to use a beta in a condescending way. save all that typing for something more important, or frankly, something that affects you.

information is all that was asked for, and we finally got it after i had to "sternly and dickishly" ask.

I just tried this out of curiosity and get the same error in DVR Log.

[ERR] Could not start stream for ANY ch6161 NBCSN: TVE: drm not supported

I then tried to view the stream in a browser and found out what is wrong.

You currently do not have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed.
You will need Flash Player 19.0.0.245 or higher in order to view this site.

We have removed NBCSN in the latest dvr build. It's broken in too many ways and not something we can support.

4 Likes

Think I recently read that NBC is shutting down NBCSN by the end of 2021.

US media giant NBCUniversal is shutting down NBC Sports Network ( NBCSN ) by the end of 2021 and will shift the bulk of its sports programming to the USA Network cable channel and Peacock streaming service.

So if you want to keep NBCSN don't update to the newest release? The channel is working perfectly for me in build 2021.02.05.2150 for windows and I don't want to lose a working channel especially since I watch it a lot.

It was added back. But problems persist, and it is unreliable at times. (Personally, I've disabled the channel because it errors out too frequently because of they way they block certain streams, or the way their pre-roll ads affect interoperability with Channels.)

If you disable it then you don't have it 100% of the time. I'd rather not have it some times then never. So far I must be the lucky one because all the live sports I've tried to record has worked.

Many issues were fixed so it should stream reliably now except when certain sports use DRM.

2 Likes

Sadly NBCSNs days are numbered. NBC sports coverage is going to get harder to get. Their moving their sports to USA and Peacock.

Yeah any sports on Peacock will suck because there isn't any DVR option so it will be watch it live or not at all unless they possibly do on demand after airing. Even so you know being a Comcast company that any live sports won't be available on the free tier of Peacock I'm betting.