New Apple TV 4K hardware!

I have an apple tv downstairs in my family room & im.not saying it's bad, 4 years old & still running good. I have a fire tv & I just cant stand the interface & all the junk it puts in front of me. I have a roku in my living room & daughters room.... no complaints & have a roku tv in my son's room...many complaints. I guess everyone has their favorites, but if roku is so horrible, well they have a hugh user base so they are doing something right. I have alexa in my home so it's also nice that roku works with it, I'm not sure if ATV works with alexa.

They are doing something right, they are cheap and sold everywhere you look, which has made them popular. Because they are popular, doesn't mean it's a good platform.

I have several roku devices in my closet of discarded technology.

1 Like

Again, for me, I have no complaints, but if you wanted to be technical you could say the fire TV is junk also because almost everyone bought it to use kodi. Now it's only a matter of time before amazon kills side loading apps & google is eventually putting ads on the shield. Apple tv... good hardware but very closed eco system & doesnt play nice with alexa & probably google. I left out samsung but thata a little different because its built in the tv.
I think some people have their favorites, some people go for the cheapest & who knows with the rest, but all these devices have flaws.... not just roku. There is no one perfect device.

I’m curious what part of Apple’s “closed eco system” prevents you from doing what you want to do with the device? Amazon and Google are no different. They want you to buy apps from their eco system the same as Apple. Apple does charge a premium, but what you get in return is top of the line hardware, and a clean, ad free interface. Sometimes it pays to be brand agnostic.

1 Like

I'm not saying apples closed eco system stops me from using channels, I'm saying every device has pros & cons. Im not trying to make this an argument about apple, I'm talking about devices in general.

No one is arguing. Just trying to understand your perspective. My apologies.

I agree with you 100%. I have used Apple, Android, Fire, and Roku. Prior to the new one this week, the only nagging issue with Apple TV was the odd remote that resulting in many people opting to buy other remotes. With that now fixed, there is no question that the Apple TV is the top platform for performance, clean UI, and usability. I suppose the only area that it might be lacking is if you have all Android phones and want to cast to your TV. We have kind of an ideal setup because we have Sony TVs that run Android and Apple TVs for our main streaming box. I can always override the TV if I needed to cast something. The Sony's have great CEC remote support which Channels takes full advantage of too.

1 Like

4K HDR / compatibility has also been a pain point on the ATV 4K's, when compared to others. The hope is that 60fps on the new kit will help here.

No issues here with 4K HDR

2 Likes

Depends on source. Streaming services will be fine. "Live" HDR (eg Fubo / FOX) is impacted by not accepting HLG and/or 60fps.

They had me at Mute Button.

1 Like

Sucked it up and ordered. Here's to hoping live FOX HDR eventually gets fixed!

I got two pre-ordered. Helps me get rid of the old Apple TV 4's now. I might only have one of those still in the house after these are added.

Just pre-ordered 2 myself to replace others and move those to other tvs in the house.

I pre-ordered one remote. The new ATV 4K isn't much better than the ATV 4K I bought six months ago so no reason to splurge. Still debating whether I should also upgrade the cracked Siri remote belonging to my Guest Room ATV HD or just replace it with the Siri remote that came with the 4K...

Ordered mine. I know the interface will be smooth. Apple is great at that. Will see how it performs over all. The old remote was a deal breaker — my wife would have divorced me. The new one looks promising. The industry seems to have settled on a standard cord cutter remote format. Let’s hope it is only refined from here on.

I like the older 4K touch remote. I've got 5 4K ATVs and all of the siri remotes are in silicone grip holders. Comfortable, they look and feel great and the touch surface makes things super fast and easy to navigate compared with a push-button remote. And other than the remote change (which I don't want), I don't see a compelling reason to update to the newer 4K ATV. Maybe when I own a 4K HDR HDHomeRun and my local OTA is broadcasting 60fps HDR. But I don't think thats going to happen within the next few years.

1 Like

Ordered mine deliver between June 1st and the 8th.

so far as I'm aware the calibration is only supported on the 4K versions of the Apple TV, not the older Apple TV 4 HD.

This is not true, I ran calibration on my AppleTV 4 HD without any problems. It made a big difference too on the Sony Bravia TV its plugged into. I also ran it on my 4K AppleTV in the living room, and it made a nice improvement on my Samsung TV there.

2 Likes