New Apple TV 4K hardware!

It worked fine on my Gen4 Apple TV HD (non-4k). Took a few tries, but successfully calibrated and the picture on my TV is improved.

Are there any plans for Channels to have the capability to use some of the new buttons and gestures/motions on the new Apple 4K remote?

Huge pass. I only use my Apple tv for apps my Lg tv doesn't have. Apps suck on the Apple tv and PQ isn't as good as directly from the tv.

Lol, that's debatable.

Maybe on your setup. Not true for many others.

Apple tv seems to have a haze around the picture. Even my $40 stick has a better picture. Try FFing on an app like Netflix. Apple tv has no thumbnails and just randomly skips. Other apps like Sling you can't open the guide while watching tv. Atmos on Netflix voices skip to surround channels. Even the Apple tv app is better on my Lg tv.

Not on my AppleTV's. I have three.

Perhaps for you. But it also has a terrible interface and UX, and the low price is subsidized by advertising.

Not on my AppleTV. I can FF and scrub through the timeline in any Netflix content, with instantaneously updating thumbnails. No random skips. I do this all the time.

That sounds like a Sling problem then. Not an issue for me with Channels or Fubo.

I haven't heard about or experienced this issue either. Sounds like something specific to your setup, though.

1 Like

So you are saying you have a different 4k Appl tv then me? These are known issues

I've got more than a few. And have never had any of the issues you mentioned.

1 Like

Here is the Atmos issue
https://amp.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/dh82z9/atmos_wrong_speaker_issue_with_netflix_atv_app/.
The scrubbing could be I don't use the Apple remote, but other devices produce thumbnails.
While the Sling issue is because of Sling, still the App I'd terrible only on Apple tv.

Mine will be delivered today

mine too. I gave in

Mine too. Need an idea on how to distract the wife for a couple hours so I can play with my new toy. Suggestions?

Send her to Target

2 Likes

Not especially creative, but I suppose it could work. Couldn't hurt to increase our toilet paper hoard.

2 Likes

Delivery #1 just arrived, I have paired a new Siri remote to my living room AppleTV 4K.

Working well with Channels, feels great in the hand :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Anyone else having issues with left and right button seeking on new remote?

Seems ok in other apps but channels has a hard time recognising the seek jumps.

1 Like

Yes. Skip seems to work on Hulu Netflix etc. but not on Channels.

1 Like

Got mine today. My first ever AppleTV but I’ve used a iPhone for years. So far I’m impressed. Navigation is very smooth compared to my FireTV. I like that I can change where the home button takes you. It defaults to the AppleTV app but you can change it to go home. Calibration works and and seemed to make a slight difference. Imported media seems to play better, especially MKV’s. I was pleased to find that Siri dictation works in search — I was prepared to be disappointed but it works well and is more elegantly deployed than Alexa on the FireTV. Will be nice when the skip function is worked out but I know it will so I’m not stressing over it. In the meantime, fast forward is actually usable on AppleTV. I found it to be absolutely useless on FireTV.

Just a few thoughts.

3 Likes

the SKIP works now on the new remove (as of the latest beta a 5.21.2135 few minutes ago)
JOG is the part I am hoping for!

1 Like

Is the jog gesture working in any other app? I couldn't get it to work in TV+

EDIT: Figured it out. You have to tap-and-hold for a second for the jog control to show up. This is something that's built-in to the system player, so its not going to work in Channels unless we recreate it from scratch.