NEW: FireTV app for Channels DVR (experimental)

If you have an amazon UK account, maybe you need to use this link

I believe the need for the UK link was the problem. Iā€™ve now updated preferences there too. Can you please retry?

Thanks

Before I go out and buy a couple of Apple TV boxes, is FireTV support far enough along to consider it. Applications is with a HDHR Prime with Channels app and DVR to 2 TVs (one 4K, one not)

Thanks!

Personally I would buy the Apple TVs, especially now that Amazon is available, but thatā€™s just me. Depends upon your balance of quality vs cost.

Channels works well on the FTV. It plays H264 and MPEG2 video just fine. Buffering still takes a while (~10 seconds for me using a linux DVR box vs approx 4 seconds on aTV). Live pause is enabled. It will play recordings no issue.

The only downsides are that you cannot set or manage recordings from the FTV. You have to either use a tvOS/iOS device or the web interface. It also crashes occasionally.

Thanks! While cost is always a factor :slight_smile: I can handle the ATVs, and it sounds like that will provide the best experience for my wife right now.

I have FTV 4K hooked via ethernet. FTV is running the latest system software (22 Dec 2017) and I have 1.0.35 of the Channels App Beta. My DVR (DS116) does not have hardware transcode as mentioned before.

I tried to use the app and got constant buffering on the live stream.

Is this supposed to be fixed? Looking at shepherdr post from 4 days ago, it sounds like this should work now.

Are you sure itā€™s the 4K FTV? The one that looks like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51AOKqohyVL.SY355.jpg

No. I have the version prior (no dongle) that has both Ethernet and wifi capability

AFAIK, only the ā€œ3rd generation (2017)ā€ Fire TV is able to decode and deinterlace mpeg2 video.

Try the HDHomeRun official app and watch CBS or NBC (those are both 1080i, ABC and FOX are 720p). Do you see interlacing artifacts? Usually described as a ā€œcomb-ing effectā€ during high motion.

I have used the HDHomeRun App on the version I have. It had the interlacing effect on 1080i content and thatā€™s what drove me to ATV 4K and the Channels App. I only have one ATV 4K box and was trying to use the FTV boxes on other TVs with the new Channels App if it can give me performance close to ATV 4K.

I guess I misunderstood what FTV boxes were going to receive the fix for mpeg2

Sorry for the confusion. I didnā€™t realize the older generation was also 4K compatible.

Hereā€™s the definitive list of models: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_TV#Models

Only the 2017 model has a proper mpeg2 deinterlacer.

No problemā€¦guess I will just need to buy another ATV 4K. This is a great app!

1 Like

Yes the previous generation only supports 4K 30fps. The UI is rendered in 1080p 60Hz but you get an ā€œOptimizing for 4Kā€ screen during the initial buffering before the switch to 4K 30fps. It doesnā€™t support HDR either.
Other than that this box is actually better than the newer dongle one. The processor is much faster and it feels snappier all round. It also has built in Ethernet rather than relying on a USB adapter. Shame it doesnā€™t support MPEG2 deinterlacing because I was going to put mine back in. The benefit of HDR on my TV isnā€™t really worth it to be honest.

Iā€™ve followed the instructions in Post #1

Would love a FireTV app invite!

Wow that was super fast! Thank you!

Would like to get a FireTV invite to test the app. I currently have the app for the appletv and love it.

Iā€™d like an invite to FireTV Channels DVR as well. Thanks!

The FireTV app is only available to DVR subscribers.

Just got a Fire TV 4K. Could I get an invite? Thanks!