Notifications when recordings fail?

Is there any way to get a notification (email or similar; maybe a popup in client) when a recording fails?

I just realized that my HDHomerun got unplugged on New Year's Eve, and has remained so ever since. We don't record/watch a ton of OTA channels, so it doesn't really matter, but there are few shows I realize now that we didn't get.

Would like to avoid this in future. I'm well into "set it and forget it" mode with the Channels DVR -- I don't look at the DVR Schedule tab, like, ever.

Thanks!

1 Like

I had a similar suggestion: Status Dashboard

This is a good idea.

I run a network management system that provides alerts yet this is fairly advanced. There are simpler tools that will ping a list of IP addresses and notify you if one goes down. Both of these solutions will catch the failure when a device fails yet they don't guarantee it's working and why an application based solution is even better.

Morris

Yeah, thinking back I've missed some recordings when the Turner channels go on the fritz on TV Everywhere -- a Channels alert when recording failed would catch that too.

That said, since it sounds like Channels doesn't have something built in at the moment, I'd be interested in adding a ping test/notifier as a band-aid for now.

I'm using a Synology NAS (and running Docker if that's useful) -- any recommendations for one of the simpler tools that would run on that setup?

Thanks.

Agreed on the need, but any failed recordings can be seen on the DVR schedule screen. It's not great, but at least tells you...

That's a pull and you could miss a lot if not looking. Push notifications are much better.

1 Like

Joke, I hope someone formula with Synology can make a suggestion for you.

1 Like

I look at the setting page 10 times more often than the Schedule screen.

Yeah, and I look at the client's library/guide/shows screens orders of magnitude more often than that.

Just a little badge on the persistent left menu bar to indicate a recording has failed would be perfect. (I use AppleTV, don't know what it looks like on others.)

1 Like