On-screen "What's Next" button

Hold down the right button, and after the initial 30s skip, it will fast-forward.

Ahh right, that's considered fast forward - I see :slight_smile: I have used that but it goes so quickly I didn't consider it a traditional fast forward.

Ummm in that case yes I think it might also happen when I fast forward, but I'll need to confirm.

1 Like

Two of my biggest peeves with Channels in one thread...

• Get rid of the damn What's Next button or at least provide an option to get rid of it. Hell, it doesn't even work for its intended purpose.
  • Implement real multi-speed ff and rev.
1 Like

The Next Up card that shows while watching a recording in progress is a bug. It’s been around for a while.

We’re finally getting around to looking into it.

3 Likes

On Android clients, it does not seem to work as expected, true. However, I haven't had any issues with its functionality on Apple clients.

While this would be nice, the streaming nature of high bandwidth OTA streams makes this non-trivial. Before Channels I used Tvheadend and MythTV as my DVR backends, and Kodi as my TV frontend client; FF/Rew at 2x was acceptable, but 4x, 8x, and greater were a mess.

It's not really the fault of Channels that this doesn't work well, it is more due to the nature of the source content. Yes, I understand you probably don't care about why you don't have a feature; but perhaps understanding why it's not there may take a bit of the sting away.

1 Like

My comment was regarding the Apple TV app.

Anything happening in the Android app is a separate bug.

If anyone can give us a reliable way to reproduce it, please post it.

Thanks but I could live with incorrect info in a card for quite a while. It's living with a so-called smart TV that fails to skip/fast-forward that's a problem here. My wife has gone back to TiVo! And apparently it's not just my one Insignia model, but also a couple of Sony Bravo Androids.

It's easy to reproduce with the right (wrong) smart TV: skip and fast-forward simply don't work. I can send in more reports from the client if you want.

This seems to be fairly reliable for me:

1. Nightly news recording starts at 6pm
  2. I'll start watching at about 6.20pm
  3. When the first set of commercials comes up I would normally quickly press skip 8 times and that would land me on the other side of the commercials, but lately when I try this the What's Up Next window appears and this stops the skips from happening, I continue to try and skip and it moves forward slowly but the what's up next keeps popping up

I believe he was referring to the erroneous "What's Next" card being displayed; you know, like the title of this thread indicates.

Could you give some more details about your client? Which device, and is its OS version? Is this with the stable/release client, or with the beta version? If the former, have you tried the beta version? (And which app versions are you using?)

Yes I'm aware of the title, because I wrote it, lol. In my first post here I reported that, among other problems, the "What's Next" card pops up when I try to FF. In subsequent posts I reported that particular problem happens only on one of my so-called smart TVs, and now we have two more examples from a different brand. All Fire/Android TV sets. I was responding to the request for ways to reproduce "anything happening in the Android app".

He's told us it's two Sony Bravia Android TVs (KD-55X8500E and KD-49X7500F). He's on the most recent stable release of the Android client app, 3.5.2, and because I've already reported that I'm seeing the same FF problems in all the beta releases on my Insignia Fire TV Edition 24" (NS-24DF310NA19, but not on my Insignia 50") he then asked if there's another beta coming with a fix. And now here we are.

I've attempted to repeat this just now, it was already 30 mins into the news. What I noticed today is the issue only happened as I nearly caught up with live tv.

Although I didn't follow my normal procedure. Next time I do that I'll pay more attention to exactly when it happens.

Yes , because the feature is written so that when you’re approaching the very end of the video, the card pops up to offer you the chance to watch the next item.

Since you probably have news set to “watch newest first”, the next item is the previous episode, and since you’re approaching live, it’s detecting that you’re close to being at the very end of the video.

This is a very normal bug. We’ll look into it soon.

So is that why, when I'm at the beginning of a news recording, the card pops up and shows the episode I'm already watching? And is that why, at any point in that news recording, any attempt to use skip or FF brings up the card again and blocks me from moving forward? There are two of us reporting this now, on Fire and Android smart TVs.

I've been reporting this since June, and although the skip/FF problem seemed to get better in one of the betas, it got worse in the final release and has not improved in any beta since then. I understand this is hard to reproduce without owning one of these TVs. So for now it would really help if we could simply turn off this feature in Settings until the bugs are resolved. Please?

It's hard to say. I have to be honest, no one in this thread is reporting information with any sort of real precision to really understand what is going on. When you say "at the beginning of a news recording" do you mean one that's currently in progress? How much has been recorded? How close to "live" are you? Things like this go a long way in figuring this out or understanding the scenarios you're in.

Here's some questions I'd love answered for when this scenario happens:

1. Is the recording currently in progress?
  2. How much time is between where you are in the timeline and the end of the timeline? IE, how close to the "end" are you?
  3. Is this show set to Watch Newest First in its settings?

A video of it happening would go a long way in helping as well.

Understood. I am talking about complete recordings with complete commercial indexing, no live TV, with Watch Newest First selected. But the logic behind what the card says and when it appears is not my primary concern at this point. The biggest bug I encounter is that the card pops up to interfere with skip and prevent fast-forwarding on one of my smart TVs. That happens at any point in the recording. Do you need a video of that?

Yes.

PM with video link sent. Thanks!