On the Demise of HDHomeRun Premium TV

Hi everyone. We've posted some comments on this topic. You can read it here:

5 Likes

Moving forward, we still want Channels to be the go to app for watching TV and movies for your whole family. We'll be spending a lot of the year investigating new and fresh ways of getting content inside Channels.

im going to read between the lines here and hope you do something like pseudo tv for kodi. create tv channels with existing media that goes in the guide.

Is there a backup plan in case silicon dust shuts down as a company? They delayed the HD Prime 6 to launch this service. That's 2 strikes against them there. Sounds like management isn't the greatest maybe?

1 Like

Not sure if this is in the realm of possibilities... But I would LOVE to see Channels roll out their own version of Premium TV!

4 Likes

I have an eerie feeling there's a reason these types of services are not available - unless you happen to be Omnivision One World Television, soon to be ground to dust under the jack-boot heels of Big Cable. Big Cable and their $Billions$ (they got from you/us) rolls across Capital Hill so every vote props up the monopoly they enjoy on TV.

Unless Channels has a Thermo-Nuclear Device up their sleeve they would be foolish to puff their chests out and pick a fight with Big Cable (or team up with Con-Man and Company - Omnivision One World Television - obviously in it for the short money).

2 Likes

Unless Channels has a Thermo-Nuclear Device up their sleeve they would be foolish to puff their chests out and pick a fight with Big Cable (or team up with Con-Man and Company - Omnivision One World Television - obviously in it for the short money).

TiVo has already fought that fight, and they won. Assuming you have a cable provider that doesn't overuse DRM, CableCard isn't a bad way to go. Comcast's 4mbit/s 60fps H.264 feeds are pretty great for DVR and remote streaming, too!

(That being said, the struggle over whether to buy a used 3 tuner Prime now or wait for the 6 tuner Prime is real)

1 Like

Also assuming your cable provider supports cable cards. Mine does not now, nor will ever due to the fact that would eat into their DVR service rental fees on 'Bundles' only the Rich and Famous can afford.

The fact is, I, and millions of other 'location challenged/fixed income pay tv sufferers' in essence are screwed without some kind of affordable internet based TV (you should have been here for the fuse I blew when 'the representative' wouldn't sell me 'just internet' without their 'Gold Standard Bundles' - it was ugly, but ultimately I, and 3 'supervisors' up the chain worked out a deal - when they realized some money was better than none).

Also assuming your cable provider supports cable cards. Mine does not now, nor will ever due to the fact that would eat into their DVR service rental fees on 'Bundles' only the Rich and Famous can afford.

As you are likely already aware, in the United States, cable providers are required by federal regulations to support CableCards if they offer digital cable. Who is your provider?

3 Likes

LOL!

Atlantic Broadband.
They can do whatever they want 'cause the people they serve have ZERO OPTIONS!

You can bet your bippy AB has all the horsepower they need to do whatever they want. Big Cable and well paid Government has paved the way to financial bliss. Big Cable can only get bigger as the cost of pay tv can only increase. It's built right in.

It doesn't matter how uncompetitive your market is. CableCARD support is required by law.

47 CFR § 76.1204 ("Availability of equipment performing conditional access or security functions") requires that CableCARD be offered in lieu of a set top box.

The August 2011 FCC CableCARD Enforcement Advisory requires that CableCARD be offered for all service plans, and that it must cost the same (and often less) than the plan costs with a set top box. It also requires that your cable provider allow you to self-install your CableCARD if they allow self-installation for set top boxes.

You will definitely have to get on the phone to order a CableCARD, and if the rep says a plan isn't available with a CableCARD you'll definitely have to ask them to double-check with a supervisor (be sure to cite the sources above if necessary). But keep trying. You're talking to someone working in sales, not support, so they will be more willing than you might think to accommodate because they also want to make the sale.

1 Like

Tried, didn't work, they flat refused to even discuss it. It doesn't matter much anyway, 'cause the internet along with any of their pricey bundles is completely out of the realm of possibilities. 200 bucks a month for internet and TV? Maybe - if burn the furniture in the winter and give up eating, but no... not happening.

I'll just do the same thing I've been doing since they give me no other options - I do have that fancy internet... and know how to use it, but TV on a wire to be recorded would be nice. Just not in my neighborhood.

Outside of blocking every premium channel in the guide, is there a faster method to disable premium TV ? Changing the “HDHomeRun Premium Channels” setting to off has no effect.

There was an issue with the company HDHomerun was using to provide the service, they got sued. Similar OTA services are in similar situations

1 Like

While I haven't subscribed to them I did find a couple threads that may help using the forum search for Premium Channels.

https://community.getchannels.com/t/hdhomerun-premium-tv-channels-showing-in-guide/14191

https://community.getchannels.com/t/unavailable-hdhomerun-premium-channels-still-present-in-channels-guide/12396

If they don't help, I would create a new thread in DVR Troubleshooting.

1 Like

I never got what the Premium TV thing was all about. Is it a streaming service? How does that work with a TV tuner?

PTV is IPTV - kinda.

IPTV is TV that arrives over the internet - like Netflix/Prime/Other. I don't think PTV could have worked without one of their tuners - that would see it as a source. I don't think your TV could use it - but that's a very general guess.

With an HDHR Tuner, the OTA shows up normally and the PTV showed up as another source - like magic. PTV actually used a tuner in the HDHR box, but I don't know if your TV could see it as a source. Basically it worked with HDHR units and as far as I know that's where it stopped working also.

The idea of it was great.
The implementation was a total disaster.
Be glad you weren't annoyed by it because even as it's mule saunter's off into the sunset dramatically, the ploppers it's leaving behind stank to high heaven. I have it for another 27 days - and it's broken.

1 Like

How strange. Of course I'm familiar with IPTV but as you say that's usually delivered by means of app, not piggybacking on a network TV tuner box. Just all seems very odd.

1 Like

Indeed. It was extremely odd - and in six months they NEVER could deliver what was promised. It was/is awful.

After finding out a bit about it's 'creator', there's something really fishy going on there - seeing as how everybody with a dog in the Big Cable arena wants to build a gallows to dangle the guy.

A PTV thing could be great for us, but I don't think Big Cable will ever let it happen.

2 Likes

This was about cable? Right - as HDHomeRun is only over the air in the UK. We do have cable but it's a closed system.

1 Like

I love UK TV. I've always said we get the best of your TV and you get the worst of ours. lol

UK TV is very open and honest - you pay for a 'license' and that money goes into the system. Your ads help, but you don't have nearly as many as we do because your ads help pay the bills - our ads have turned into a giant monster eating everything it doesn't smash or cook with it's breath of fire.

Hope your TV never turns into our TV.
"There will always be an England" - unless advertising is allowed to take over.

:smiley:

1 Like