On to 2023, what are you missing in Channels?

yep. its been in beta since 2021 - kind of a side project. Better than nothing, and I'm happy for anything, but its different than an official branch.

1 Like

Another crowdsource data usage: I suspect many of us record the same things (possibly even from the same source). It would be cool to enable an option to use crowdsourced comskip markers, so that I don't need to use my own CPU/resources. So we could toggle a switch, and the local DVR could use other people's comskip data on our recording. Even a little raspberry pi could then have super powers.

5 Likes

A user account for my mom.

3 Likes

My wish list would be;

• A PIP, a little like how Plex does it, or some way of playing in a small box as part of the guide layout, separate and not floating like the tvOS system PIP
  • Option to remove channel numbers from guide, perhaps for larger logos
  • ‘Graceful’ in and out of channel streams via guide - for example BBC iPlayer in the UK employs a nice quick mix when returning from playing video to GUI
  • A grey colour scheme option
  • Removal of US-centric guide details for UK users
  • If I was being really picky, on tvOS, the ‘Start from beginning’ prompt would be more in line with the tvOS interface so smaller and a bit more discreet

Thanks for the lovely job on the picture quality - it’s 100% on the Apple TV the deinterlacing is second to none.

3 Likes

How about a barebones CarPlay/Android Auto interface that allows live, audio-only access to our Favorite channels?

3 Likes

Have you seen this thread:

2 Likes

Pretty sure @Fofer is aware of the audio feature already since they're all over that thread. But they're asking for a car-friendly interface to quickly get in and out of streams without dealing with their phone while driving.

I'm not sure if the devs are willing to dive into car interface development, but maybe expanded Shortcuts functionality with the audio streams could be a middle ground so you could use Siri while driving?

2 Likes

Thanks alai, yes that's kind of what I was getting at. I had been navigating to the audio-only streams via the Channels app itself, which doesn't work for driving and multitasking was often problematic. Then I used the webUI to navigate, saving some channels as "apps" on my iPhone home screen, but Siri didn't recognize those, and suggested I search in the App Store for them, lol.

Creating shortcuts instead, that just open the appropriate URL in Safari, seems to be working fine with Siri, so I'll use this method now. I'm hoping these URLs don't change or expire? But yeah, if the Channels shortcut functionality expanded to include audio-only streams, I'm thinking it might work better with multitasking. That’s great feedback.

All that said, this was submitted as just another "wish list" item for 2023 or beyond, I think a simple car-friendly interface for audio-only versions of our favorite (and/or commute-friendly) channels would be a surprise feature that would intrigue and inspire customers, new and old. Lots of folks probably wouldn't be interested in manually creating shortcuts for every channel ahead of time, but they'd be delighted to discover that their setup works natively with CarPlay and Android Audio. Especially since it would make it safe, easy and intuitive to surf between different audio channels when commercials come on. A drive-friendly touchscreen interface feels easier to use than voice commands for everything, IMO.

Anyway, this is just another killer feature that would further differentiate Channels from every other local and cloud DVR solution out there. I’m grateful these questions are being asked and that our wish lists are being given consideration.

My issue in the car is if I need to play with Apple Pay at a drive thru or use another app, I miss my programming. Also, phone locks and it constantly distracts or interrupts reopening / navigating etc. I'd love this.

No, but fast kinetic swipes up/down can easily traverse many pages of info in the guide, assuming you haven't disabled the touch capabilities of the remote.

OK, but let’s say we have 40 favorites we enjoy browsing through. We’re swiping or clicking down and eventually reach the end of the guide listing. It takes like 9-10 swipes to get back to the top. Wouldn’t a single down click be more elegant and intuitive?

When actually clicking to channel-surf through these same 40 favorites of live TV though, clicking up to go down (mentioned previously in this thread, but I digress) when we get to the end of the list, we wrap back around to the beginning of the list, so even just for the interface consistency's sake, I would think the same “wraparound” behavior would happen in the guide, too.

1 Like

Change the posters for collections so that they match the other poster styles like a regular movie poster. There are tons of posters already made out there for collections on places like theposterdb but they are all oriented in a classic movie style poster so they aren’t usable with the collections posters with channels.

Fix the apple remote settings so that you don’t have to shake to mute anymore. This is problematic for PIP users who want to mute channels while doing something else on the Apple TV because the newest remotes don’t work like this.

1 Like

I just tried this tonight when driving, and unfortunately, Siri shortcuts don't play nice with CarPlay. At least this one doesn’t. I couldn’t get KTLA Audio to play via voice command like I can at home with regular Siri.

I get this response with every attempt with CarPlay: "To do that, please try again on your iPhone, when you're not driving, of course." :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :unamused:

Here's a request from a while ago that I forgot to add this to my earlier post:

It would be super nice to have this enhanced customizability in the Collections view, although I've settled on having mixed movies and shows in virtual channels for now.

I'm hoping we can add the following.

1. direct Philo Integration (Stemium is lacking in development would be nice to be free of TVE).
  2. Bally sports integration.
  3. the ability to browse NetFlix and Hulu as we can in Playon home. Get content to one app as much as possible.
    5 add some of the docker projects to channels to allow for plug-and-play for users.
  1. When viewing a recording in the Library, under Details, I would like the full path of the recording shown including drive letter and folder where located and the date recorded. Reason: I have the same folder names on multiple drives. Seeing the drive location and date would make it easier to determine which recording to delete when duplicates are found.

2. I would like a “Find Duplicates” for movies that, when clicked, would produce a list of all duplicates located in the Library and the location (drive letter and folder name). Reason: As my collection of movies grows, it is getting increasingly difficult to weed out duplicate movies. A search can be done by movie title and duplicates would be found, however, one must know that there might be a duplicate to find it or go through an extensive list to find in large collections.

3. In the Navigation list (On Now, On Later, TV Shows, Movies, Etc), I would like to rearrange the list to my personal preference. Reason: I use Scheduled and Search more than some of the other choices. I would prefer these be closer to the top instead of the bottom of the list.

4. In the Server Guide, I would like to be able to scroll the guide left and right from the time bar. Reason: As it is now, one must pick a date and a time slot to view the guide. This is very cumbersome if looking at future programs from one channel or source.

5. When viewing recordings in the Library in the server, the only choices to move through the Library is “Previous” and “Next.” I would like additional buttons added. Example: “Last” and maybe an Alpha selection so that when “S” is selected, a list of all recordings starting with “S” is displayed. Reason: As the list of recordings or movies grows, it takes considerable time to get through the list using only the “Next” button. Adding these additional choices would make it easier to find or see what is in the collection.

6. If request #5 is not an option, then change the Library view where it is one continuous list that can be scrolled up and down like it is when viewing from the TV instead of having to view the list one block of icons at a time.

7. In the Edit Commercials area, add a “check all” and “uncheck all” box at the top to speed up commercial editing. Reason: On some recordings, it is necessary to check or uncheck up to 20 or more boxes to get those frames to be included or excluded in the recording. This happens a lot on recordings from Turner Classic Movies.

8. In the “On Later” menu, a program or movie can be clicked on. A box will appear giving information about the program or movie with the option to schedule for recording. The box does not show what channel or channels the selected item is on. I would like this information included. Reason: I select what I will record depending on the channel. As a rule, I only record movies that have no commercials, so knowing that a movie is on a channel with or without commercials would determine if I schedule it to be recorded. Also, certain channels always have interruptions or fail to record for some reason. I would avoid scheduling a recording on those channels if the information was available.

9. I would like the time displayed on all menu screens, not just the guide.

10. Would like the option of viewing my Library movie list as text, as well as, icon view. Maybe make the list printable. Reason: Sometimes an alpha list would be easier and faster to go through than the present icon view.

5 Likes

A “reminder” feature, configurable in the guide.

So I can highlight/click whatever channel at whichever time in the future, an option will be available for “remind me” and at 5 and 2 and 0 minutes before the event, something pops up to say “reminder: Whatever Title on channel X”

I know channels doesn’t mux— it could even be some sort of automatic PIP window that shows the reminder. Or just automatically start playing the reminder channel in PIP a few minutes ahead of time.

3 Likes

My two most requested features:

1. Skip to Time. I'd love for a feature to be added to enter a time that the timeline can jump to. Right now, if I need to skip ahead an hour or so, I need to hold down the right arrow for ~30 seconds or so. But if i would like to skip directly to a specific time would be great.
  2. User Profiles. Simply to keep track of a user's progress this way two people can watch the same recording without having to remember how far they were when they resume.
2 Likes

1st, Happy New Year and thanks for a program I actually am glad to purchase! I would love to see integration for paid streaming services to keep from having to leave Channels. For example, I have to leave Channels for HBO-Max or Disney Plus and of course the Weather Channel. I understand DRM issues but if there could just be a shortcut within Channels to launch the native apps that would be great! Don't get me started on the WX Channel App not running on Apple TV. I still have Tivo's on a separate input just to have local weather/radar. I do have Frndly and WX Channel national.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This is more of a UI usability suggestion. You have two types of people using Channels: Geeks and Normal people. Most of us responding are in the Geek category. Normal people need 99% of the functionality available via the on screen UI. My wife will never access Channels Settings on the computer nor on the screen UI. If a feature is buried in settings, by definition, it is not usable by normal people. Here are some examples:

• Trash - ability to navigate to Trash from the show just deleted to undelete it
  • Season Pass - copy Tivo's SP UI for simple on screen setups.
  • Separate the Scheduled Recordings, Your Passes, and Trash away from Settings into it's own section.
    ** Normal people don't alter settings, but they do alter recordings schedules.
    ** Schedule is on the top menu already.
    ** Maybe separate or group Managing Recordings from Viewing Items
    ** A History would be good to see why a show didn't record (e.g. weekly Discovery login errors)
  • Having an onscreen setup of a basic virtual channel (maybe your favorite shows with an option to specify how many are kept). Anything more complex goes to the backend.
  • In my mind, each of these simpler things work exactly the same on the backend. Your get less options to reduce complexity / confusion.

I know many people who would enjoy Channels if the complexity was separated into BASIC DVR Functionality (done on Screen UI) vs Complex DVR.

I define Normal People as anyone who should NOT be messing around with ANY settings. They would BREAK the DVR!!! (e.g. my wife, my neighbors, my (no longer) younger kids, etc) Until we can get a handle on these frequent authentication errors Normal people are relegated to CableTV providers.