PBS Suddenly Missing from TV Everywhere

Some time in the last week, PBS (channel 6005) disappeared out of my lineup. The option isn’t even there to manually rescan the channel. So, I tried updating to the latest pre-release but that didn’t fix it. I know it happened in the last week based on when my last recording from PBS was. I’m not sure what happened. CBS is missing too but it was always spotty in my area. Logs submitted. b0768f12-3383-4e85-9f29-efc0acc5b915

1 Like

It's probably just the TVE provider. I've had 6006 PBS disappear and reappear on me a number of times. They might just change the definition of what is allowed from a certain area or some contract with the local PBS comes up that needs adjustment.

1 Like

The stream is still live though and I can access it from their app and the web. It’s just missing from channels.

You could try toggling the TVE locals checkbox. If that doesn't work, submit diagnostics and email support.

https://i.mjh.nz/PBS/all.m3u8
https://i.mjh.nz/PBS/all.xml

You can manually add every PBS as a source.
https://community.getchannels.com/t/pbs-feeds/26857/12

I just got an email from YouTubeTV saying that they have added your local PBS stations to their line up. I checked by logging into YouTubeTV and sure enough they are there. Now, how do I got them to show up in my line up on ChannelsDVR? Do I have go to the PBS website and login using my YouTubeTV credentials? That's how I got the Turner Broadcasting channels to show in my line up.

You don't. PBS has enabled DRM on nearly every single feed from their website, which is incompatible with Channels. PBS stations used to be available via the local network options with TVE within Channels, but unfortunately that is no longer possible. Hence, they were removed from Channels.

You will either have to use YouTubeTV's app, PBS' app, or the website to stream your local PBS networks.

1 Like

Yeah, I know about that change months ago, but I was hoping that if they are now available thru YouTubeTV that there would be a way to connect. I just doesn't seem logical that they allow you stream for free on your web broswer but block other connections.

It's not that they are "blocking" connections, rather requiring certain additional features that while present in your web browser, are not present in Channels.

Think of it as certain coupons/discounts at the market only available to shoppers with a rewards card. In this example the browser/YTTV app acts as your rewards card, but Channels does not have it. It's "free" to get the rewards card, but not everyone has one. (While a slightly clumsy example, I feel it is fairly comparable.)

But it is still the fact that they using a system that the none of the other channels are using. And they have to know that it creates problems for those that wish to connect. So, in essence, they are willing to lose viewership over the issue. That doesn't make logical sense....

Not true. There are numerous other networks that allow you stream via their website, but still implement DRM incompatible with Channels. Game Show Network, MSG, Bally Sports, etc.

Honestly, I doubt they rightly care. They are trying to drive users towards their own paid services, or to use first-party apps from cable/OTT providers that pay additional carriage fees.

Most all of the networks implementing DRM are already part of a larger network of channels/services that extract premium fees via carriage agreements. Losing the viewership from users who are not paying the additional fees is inconsequential.

(Why do you think cable packages are structured the way they are? You can't get Bravo and E! unless you also get NBC Sports and Golf, and vice versa; the housewives subsidize the sports fans, and the sports fans subsidize the housewives. And the networks get twice the profit. Welcome to modern American capitalism.)

Well, what happens if all the channels implement DRM? Could that happen?

Then you’ll have to read a book, or go outside, or do a sit up. The world is full of possibilities.

Or something called, adapt.

Yes, it could. And if it does, then you will lose access to them from within Channels.

It's no different to the cable companies offering the local networks without encryption; but if you want any additional channels, then you need to rent a cable box to decode the encrypted channels.

(Remember, encryption and DRM are different things ... however the parallel and analogy remains true.)

@Bandmaster, if you live in a market that has LocalBTV and is broadcasting their PBS station, you can use the LocalBTV m3u (see LocalBTV thread for details) to get the station. No long term guarantees that this will stay up or work forever.

2 Likes

It’s not missing, it’s just cable doesn’t want to put it on. PBS is a non profit organization that runs off private donations from various organizations and individuals. Plus they get federal, state, local grants. It’s my understanding they get about the same amount private vs government. Trump tried to eliminate funding for it but it didn’t happen or it was reinstated. It’s vital for children both at home and in the school room. It teaches pre—K and through 12th grade so much with its programs.
I’m in Virginia and get PBS VPM with a simple approx. $10 rabbit ear antenna from Walmart. I have also used a butterfly, you put on your window. I have given up on cable— it’s too expensive anyway, don’t miss the repeat channels and they don’t have some of the channels I get over the air. If you want, and have someone to do it, you can put a roof antenna to get more stations from much further away, but I get a solid 35-40 channels with just the cheapie one. Fine for me. I rescan occasionally to pick up new material. With the antenna you get the same clear, sharp picture as with cable (broadband. FIOS, XFINITY, ETC.). You just don’t have that bill. It amazes me the people still paying for cable — even those who aren’t interested in sports. Use your internet and do like I do. I use my iPad and send it via Airplay through my little Apple TV device and can watch everything from Prime, Netflix, PBS, and dozens of other networks, like YouTube, etc. on big screen tv. I have internet at home via FIOS Verizon so no issues with running out of data like with cellular and can use it with phone, tablet, computer, etc. Depending on income, you can get some program that saves you money ie federal or state funded program. I don’t even have the basic cable tv, and just seldom ever have an issue. NBC is the only toughie network but even it is just an issue maybe 1-2% a year. It’s your positioning of the antenna that might be a problem. In terms of the signal, in fact, when I was staying with someone with cable and I had the antenna in a back bedroom, I got the signal faster than he did and we were a block from Comcast. It was like an echo when you opened the door - I guess running through cable company’s system slowed it down. I get 5 channels 12.1-12.5) and you need an antenna that has the thing in the middle and the knob to get the NBC channels. I got a very involved email from a broadcast guy that explained the situation with it. Most times I have it, just occasionally it goes missing. You can contact NBC on this issue of the network going missing and they will tell you how to solve. For PBS, I get like 5 PBS/VPM channels ie 23.1, 23.2, 23.3, 23.4, and 23.5. That’s the same for all the channels for 6, 8, and as said 12, 23, 35, 45, 65 plus some others that slide in depending on weather, I guess and how the satellite is positioned. What’s on depends on the time of the day and which you are watching. It may be the kids programming in the morning and throughout the day; Then there is the channel with crafts, gardening, cooking, etc. Then there are several World news Chanel along with programming about the culture and difficulties encountered in different countries, etc. Also on PBS there is the period romances like the Downton Abbey, Victoria and many many more that are series type programs. Just lots of different and interesting programs. Can’t forget historical programs either. I can always find something which is interesting, enjoyable, educational — something you can find to improve your mind rather than the plain silly, or stuff that doesn’t do anything to improve your life like you find on some of the network channels.

I also watch non PBS shows like NCIS, NCIS LA, NO, Hawaii, Miami, or the other ones like Blue Bloods, SVU, etc. you find on ION network. That said, PBS is a big part of my life to where I do donate to them every month and have for decades — not tied to any offer like where you donate $5/month and get some video etc. Just included in my monthly bill pay. And you can also include them in your estate plans especially if you don’t have someone to look out for after you are gone. I think they are very important to the welfare of our children. I’m 70 and have watched it since I was a child. No matter where you move, if you have a tv and antenna you can get it free of charge. Now, depending on the locality will depend what channels your local station brings in. You need to contact them for some of the other shows annd ansk for them. Some anre just for that area. But here’s the thing, between the regular digital over the air tv and watching all in the PBS/VPM website - you have plenty to view. And you and your children have access to a decent education and lessons on being a decent person and how to treat people. Many kids have learned their alphabet, math and reading, etc. watching PBS before they even get to kindergarten ir first grade. And as they get older, they learn history, and all about the world culture, travel, etc. There are many shows on the different channels for us. Even the kids programs are done in such a way that adults can enjoy without feeling like you are talked down to — I mean shows like Clifford, The Big Red Dog or Curious George — everyone can enjoy those with your children. Well I know I rambled but just wanted to express my love of PBS channels and how important I think it is. And also encouraging the saving of money by cutting the cord. That a decent chunk could be saved in an Ally bank account.. which compounds daily, no fees or very few and now paying as much as 4.35%. Just something to think about. Everything is so expensive these days so we need to set aside.
Best of luck.

1 Like

K. This topic is almost a year old now, but it has nothing to do with cable. PBS streaming never had anything to do with cable. What happened was that PBS suddenly encrypted its live stream. It still requires no log in. I can go to the PBS app right now and start live streaming without logging in. But because the Channels DVR system does not try to get around encryption we lost access to the live streams. Channels doesn’t circumvent encryption on TVE channels (or things like PBS) because that keeps it on the legal side of a DVR. So fair enough, PBS starts encrypting, and we lost access. But in this case, it’s not the fault of the cable companies. It’s all on PBS. Why they decided to encrypt their livestream when they had previously been happy to leave it unencrypted, and they still don’t require a log in I don’t know. But they are the ones who made the change.

2 Likes

When PBS funding was cut, they had to make deals with HBO and Apple. That's why Sesame Street is on HBO now, and the Peanuts holiday specials are on Apple TV+

As part of those deals, they were legally forced to change their streaming methods.

What's interesting to me is that their on demand pbs passport programming still isn't encrypted even though their live stream is. Seems like you would encrypt both.

To get PBS back, see this: