Philo or Sling TV for Channels (like Frndly TV for Channels)

With the loss of the Viacom TVE stations is anyone aware of any projects that exist that would allow something similar to matthuisman's Frndly TV for Channels project that would work for Philo or Sling?

I think with the demise of TVE, the spousal approval factor for Channels is waning in my household, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options:

2 Likes

I have Sling and can confirm both CC4C and ADBTuner work with it.
I used to use Philo and then add Sling for racing season.
ADBTuner works so well, I just cancelled my Philo and went full-time Sling.

Chrome Capture for Channels:
Worked generally fine, but crashed more often than I would like. I am a very heavy recorder so this may have a lot to do with it. I believe this works with Philo, and I would think would complement the extensive (and flawlessly working) Philo TVE channels well by adding in the ones you can't get with TVE.
Pros: There are pretty good, simplified instructions that worked well for Windows. It's free. I think they got the Docker working as well.
Cons: I think you need a dedicated, modern machine and it crashed every 2-3 days. (You could set a Windows task to start the process every day at midnight as a fix).

ADBTuner
This works phenomenally well.
I have Pluto, plus the basic Sling membership paired with a 2 stream Frndly subscription, and a HDHomeRun 4 channel OTA tuner. I have the Sling TVE setup in Channels, 3 encoders in ADB, and use the Frndly and Pluto docker in Channels. Wife acceptance factor is high as all the cooking shows and Christmas movies are there. I get racing, movies galore, and a ton of old TV shows I will watch "someday."
Pros: Added it to my existing Docker setup and it just worked. So, you can likely use your existing Channels setup.
Cons: Encoders and streaming boxes add up. I paid retail for my encoders at $115 each. The cheapest streaming device that works with this is an ONN 4K box at $20. So, to get your 3 streams (Sling Blue) this can add up. Many save a bundle shopping on eBay, though. (I already had 2 Firestick 4K devices and they do seem to work better than the one ONN, but I have a WiFi 6 network so that may be the difference)

Note there is also an HDMI for Channels project that ADBTuner spawned from and deserves mention. Since Sling supports deep links, one of the two above is probably the better fit.

I hope this helps.

Note: I am continually blown away by the extensibility of Channels, the support of the Channels Team, and the ingenuity of the Channels Community for creating the Dockers, the apps, the non-Docker links, and everything else. So, thanks to all of those who contributed to the things that make the TV experience so much better (and cheaper).

6 Likes

Fubo TV Project
I have come across this project that looks interesting for Fubo. All channels except disney and premiums
expose an m3u8 during playback.
Perhaps someone could figure out how to deploy it? Would be awesome to get something like this piped directly into channels
Maybe a modified Webcam Resolver??: (Way beyond my abilities.)
"Use this tool as a proxy to get the true streaming URL for a webcam Link to use in other streaming apps like with Custom Channels in the Channels app." Example URL: h ttp://www.surfchex.com/cams/avon/
If you look at the Webcam Resolver project, perhaps a similar offshoot could accept something like:
h ttps://www.fubo.tv/foxnews-live-stream ..... as coded in the Custom Channel
And "Fubo Resolver" would launch that and retrieve the exposed m3u and return that to the Custom Channel.

1 Like

The fubo docker would be the best solution at this point.
if the stream is encrypted, you won't be watching it.
Don't forget if you have ADB tuner installed and have the fubo App on the device, you can use it to tune into The encrypted stuff.

1 Like

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone!

I'll be honest, I think for the time being I'll be switching over to Fubo or YouTube TV until there's some more turnkey solutions. I've got a bunch of custom channels on my server but aside from the Frndly TV and Pluto TV I've had pretty frequent issues with custom channels, including Chrome Capture, which just wouldn't fly for the core stations we watch. I'll continue to follow along with the community to see what comes from these TVE changes.

1 Like

Loving the Fubo service along with TVE. I used to have YTTV until TVE stopped working.
My Fubo log-in on Fubo is working great.

go save yourself some money.

1 Like

Those .m3u8's change with every program. Each program has a different encryption key hashed into it.