Plex Live TV Channels M3U?

You are a true community gem. Thank you. Might take the same route as you on this one and create two sources. The thing that got me was the guide data and specifically leaving it blank for Gracenote. Appreciated again!

1 Like

Hey i seem to be having an issue where no matter what i put in for the plex code it just gives me the local playlist for an output.
Any thoughts on this?

So how would one get gracenote data for say philo or Pluto tv? I for one would love to have 14 day guide data.

The easiest way is to not include the XML guide data and then just map the stations manually:

Your warning is that not everything has one, and many are certainly not clear which one is best. Some people around here have also gone through the effort of basically creating their own m3u's so that the station mapping is in there. The end result is relatively the same, just depends upon where you want your sanity to live.

1 Like

I lost my sanity a long time ago lol. And all of this is new to me and i have no real clue what i am doing. So all the guidance and help i can get is a huge help.

Now if i understand correctly put in the m3u and leave out the guide data xml and that will use grace notes guide data. Then just map what channels.i want and it should work and give me 14 days of data? Would the the same apply to pluto? Or should i keep using the m3u and xml you shared with me a little while back?

Yes.

No, only if you map them.

Maybe. It's only as good as Gracenote has, but that has been fairly common. Again, not all stations are going to have something you can map to. From what I've read from others who have done this, Pluto's Viacom stations (ones internal/same company) are not the best. Basically, it is going to be hit or miss and YMMV.

The same directions apply to every m3u source:

That's up to you. How much work and effort do you want to put into this for guide data? How complicated do you want your life to be?

4 Likes

Definitely going to give it a shot at least. Thank you for the complete walk through. I really appreciate it a lot. Its beayond helpful.

Its very hard to naildown the guide for these streaming stations. Many of them offer the same channel name but run different episodes.

Couple of examples:

The This Old House channels on Samsung, Pluto, Pluto Canada and Plex are all different. One might air Ask This Old House while the other is running season 42 episode 3 and yet another is on season 37 episode 5.

Same with the Top Gear channels on Samsunng, Pluto, Pluto Canada, Pluto UK, Plex and Tubi.

As babsonnexus said, YMMV.

I gave it a shot for only one channel for my s/o. Akc channel. Sadly it would stop playong about every minute. Would have to restart the stream. Just not worth it. But it dod work setting it up as described.

2 Likes

OK I've been wanting to try this for awhile so I installed Docker and gave it a shot. I believe I installed everything correctly but I can't get 127.0.0.1:7777 to come up in my browser for the Channels entry details. Here's a copy of the install log:

2024-06-22 21:02:13 Initialize XML File
2024-06-22 21:02:13 Run channels to load self.channel_list
2024-06-22 21:02:15 New token for us_east generated at 2024-06-23 03:02.13 +0000
2024-06-22 21:02:17 Day One Initialization of EPG data
2024-06-22 21:02:17 Retrieving us_east EPG data for 2024-06-23 through 2024-06-23
2024-06-22 21:02:43 Continuing to retrive us_east EPG data....Elapsed time: 25.55 seconds. 150 Channels parsed
2024-06-22 21:03:16 Continuing to retrive us_east EPG data....Elapsed time: 58.66 seconds. 300 Channels parsed. Please wait
2024-06-22 21:03:42 Continuing to retrive us_east EPG data....Elapsed time: 85.33 seconds. 450 Channels parsed
2024-06-22 21:03:56 Retrieving us_east EPG data complete. Elapsed time: 98.74 seconds. 551 Channels parsed.
2024-06-22 21:04:00 ⇨ http server started on [::]:7777

When I go back to the main Containers page it lists the plex-for-channels container as running, but the column under "Ports" is blank? Trying to figure out what is wrong and how to get Source URL and EPG credentials entered?

Not enough info.

1. Show us your docker run command so we can see what you did and if anything is wrong there.

2. What is your installation setup? I.E., are you on a Windows/Mac/Linux server? Is Docker installed on the same type of server or a different one?
    -- Depending upon this answer might be your connection issues. You should try using the IP address or server name of the machine Docker installed on. If it is the same server, you can use localhost.

3. You mention the port column being empty. Can you provide a screen shot?

4. Do you have anything else running in Docker or anywhere else already on port 7777? If so, you need to map to a different port during creation, like 8888:7777.

Thank you for helping! Answers:
Question 1:

docker run --hostname=docker-desktop --env=PLEX_PORT=127.0.0.1 --env=PLEX_CODE=us_east --env=PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/root/.local/bin --env=LANG=C.UTF-8 --env=GPG_KEY=7169605F62C751356D054A26A821E680E5FA6305 --env=PYTHON_VERSION=3.12.3 --env=PYTHON_PIP_VERSION=24.0 --env=PYTHON_GET_PIP_URL=https://github.com/pypa/get-pip/raw/dbf0c85f76fb6e1ab42aa672ffca6f0a675d9ee4/public/get-pip.py --env=PYTHON_GET_PIP_SHA256=dfe9fd5c28dc98b5ac17979a953ea550cec37ae1b47a5116007395bfacff2ab9 --env=PYTHONUNBUFFERED=1 --network=host --workdir=/app --restart=unless-stopped --label='org.opencontainers.image.created=2024-05-24T00:09:33.471Z' --label='org.opencontainers.image.description=' --label='org.opencontainers.image.licenses=' --label='org.opencontainers.image.revision=dfd73adf84244b603d05d3e57d6e194857de2446' --label='org.opencontainers.image.source=https://github.com/jgomez177/plex-for-channels' --label='org.opencontainers.image.title=plex-for-channels' --label='org.opencontainers.image.url=https://github.com/jgomez177/plex-for-channels' --label='org.opencontainers.image.version=1.10b' --runtime=runc -d Package plex-for-channels · GitHub

Question 2:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Question 3:

Blank

Question 4:

I had tried Tubi for Channels which also used Port 7777 but I had uninstalled it before attempting this.

Change that to the port number you want (you have an IP address there)
Since you're running it in the host network (--network=host), it won't display port mapping.
If you want it to run in the bridge network and use port mapping you have to drop the --network=host and --env=PLEX_PORT and include the port mapping you want.

You also have a lot of unnecessary statements in your docker run command.

As @chDVRuser said, you put in incorrect variables; this should be a port number.

On the GIT, it shows these options:

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --network=host -e PLEX_PORT=[your_port_number_here] -e PLEX_CODE=local[,us_west,etc.] --name  plex-for-channels ghcr.io/jgomez177/plex-for-channels
docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p [your_port_number_here]:7777 --name  plex-for-channels ghcr.io/jgomez177/plex-for-channels

Where it says [your_port_number_here], you need to put the number of the port you want to use (i.e., 7777, 8888, 3298, whatever, a number... and don't use the brackets, just the number).

I'm also assuming you are copying the run out of Docker Desktop, which will show all that other garbage. I meant like one of the two above; what you put in.

And unless things have changed, Docker Desktop for Windows does not do host mode networking.
So he'll have to port map using the second run command you show.

Thanks guys. So I took out the previous container and made a new one using this command in the Terminal:

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --network=host -e PLEX_PORT=7777 -e PLEX_CODE=us_east --name plex-for-channels Package plex-for-channels · GitHub

Here is a screenshot of the installation log:

And finally a screenshot of the Status window:

So as far as I can tell it is running, but my brain can't figure out what to enter in the Custom Channels, Add Source, URL or EPG entries.

Granted, this all might just be way over my head to figure out...my apologies.

Stand by I will try what chDVRuser suggested.

FIGURED IT OUT!! Guys thanks so much I really appreciate the help I was totally lost.

You should install this if you're going to be using docker containers with Channels DVR

3 Likes

I had that same issue when I was using this M3U: https://i.mjh.nz/Plex/us.m3u8
However, once I switched over to the the plex-for-channels docker instead, installed easily via OliveTin's aforementioned Project One-Click, the problem was resolved. Now Plex streams play continuously, without interruption. As always, YMMV...