Plex Live TV Channels M3U?

Does anyone have issues watching Plex channels in Channels? Whenever I watch certain channels, it stops and I get an error from Channels after a couple minutes. If I back out and go back in, it works again but only for a few minutes before stopping again. Trying to figure out if there is something I can change in settings that might make it a bit more stable? Running on a NAS. TIA.

See the last few posts of this thread:

Basically, everyone relying on the mjh hosted playlist are sharing the same tokens so it quickly exceeds the session limit. You have to generate your Plex m3u playlist locally with your own unique parameters.

1 Like

kyl416, is there a step by step guide for dummies like me? I have channels on Synology NAS. I do not understand "olive tin". I downloaded the Docker app for Synology but have no idea how to use it. I appreciate any help you can provide.

1 Like

I might be asking the dumbest question, but how can we generate the Plex m3u playlist locally? I have Docker setup with Pluto and Fubo and it's solid, but does something similar exist for Plex already?

I added a couple of Actions to OliveTin-for-Channels to support both the Plex token generation, and to host the Plex M3U and XML files, so you can add them the Channels Sources by URL. See here:

OliveTin does a couple of dozen other cool Channels DVR related tasks too -- so, anybody that's not frightened by Docker and Portainer should really add it to their toolkit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did create an updated docker for Plex you can try

docker run -d --network=host -e PLEX_PORT=<port_number> --name plex-for-channels jgomez177/plex-for-channels

5 Likes

you are the best!! first the Fubo container and now this! thank you - your solution was easy to add to my existing docker setup.

2 Likes

That looks good Thanks

1 Like

just installed the new version and it looks good.

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together. I tried to generate the guide data with no success and i'm seeing these messages in the container logs:

Running EPG
Day 0 run for 2024-02-10
Day 1 run for 2024-02-11
Day 2 run for 2024-02-12
Day 3 run for 2024-02-13
HTTP failure 429: {"Error":{"error":"Too Many Requests","message":"Rate limit exceeded!","statusCode":429}}

Any suggestions?

BTW, I'm using PLEX LOCAL. I tried US-west and it failed as well, but us-east seems to work.

1 Like

US -West worked took a long time to load guide data just let it sit there.

1 Like

This is really nice! I used this and it was very happy:

docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped -p {YOUR PREFERRED PORT NUMBER HERE}:7777 --name docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped -p 7971:7777 --name plex-for-channels ghcr.io/jgomez177/plex-for-channels:latest:latest

NOTE: Edited for the change to Github so it is up to date.

The one thing I'm wondering if you can change is the channel-id? You can see using the i.mjh.nz and the OliveTin/Script methods that are based on that it looks like this:

Your method produces this:

Unfortunately, that means when trying to change the methodologies, it forgets all the favorites/hides and Channel Collections. It would be super helpful if they matched so it could just be a seamless replace!

1 Like

I know the other ones were built using different IDs but keep in mind I did not built to match others, as they are not consistent with their usage either, so I did mine consistent across my implementations with (source)-(slug). That being said I can add to match others as requested but not always beneficial for my own usage

I realized requesting several days worth of epg data is a bit much and started noticing that issues for that initial build. Gonna rework that to resolve how I’m requesting that data

1 Like

Another note here is many of the Plex channels I have been able to find a corresponding tmsid (gracenote id) so will be including that once I finalize going through them all ( which is quite a few)

3 Likes

pushed a new update that includes
channel-id by "provider"-"id" (i.mjh.nz compatibility)

2 Likes

Thank you, you're my hero! Worked like a charm!

1 Like

It's working great. Thank you so much!

Well since I've went ahead and updated the code to include gracenote ids, I also moved everything to GitHub including the latest docker image (thanks to @warrentc3 for some IDs I didn't have)
Note here - Plex seems to have quite a bit of time shifting of their streams compared to the Gracenote. Hopefully these line up for you in different time zones. Also only have done US at this point and still working on this so not every channel with a stationid is fully accounted for yet

This update includes the parameter gracenote=(include|exclude) similar to the frndly-for-channels parameter. (thanks @matthuisman for this idea)

Also reduced the amount of EPG data gets pulled until I can optimize it better
and finally I think this version runs on amd64 and arm64 (thanks to @m0ngr31 for pointing me in the right direction for this)

docker pull ghcr.io/jgomez177/plex-for-channels

docker run -d --network=host -e PLEX_PORT=[your_port_number_here] --name  plex-for-channels ghcr.io/jgomez177/plex-for-channels

github.com/ jgomez177/ plex-for-channels/pkgs/container/plex-for-channels

1 Like