Pluto TV and Stirr

Yea but the shared xml doesn't tag movies and shows correctly so you can't setup passes or record movies and have them appear in the movies section. These issues were fixed in the xmltv generated by the docker.

2 Likes

But you can record and playback a show. It may not have all the fancy bells and whistles, but it is possible to record.

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate all of the hard work that has been done with the Docker implementation for Pluto TV. I use the EPG and edited the M3U provided from the Docker implementation for my setup, because I wanted to customize the channel numbers.

It was only my intention to clarify for new or casual Channels DVR users what the bare minimum requirements are to get things running — smile

Sure. I'm just making it clear that if you use the shared m3u/xmltv:

1. your streams and recordings will cut out randomly (if someone else using the m3u tunes the same channel at the same time)
  2. passes will not work correctly and may fail to record new episodes

If that doesn't matter to you, then by all means continue to use it. Just don't complain to us when problems occur.

6 Likes

does the docker app have to be installed on your NAS if thats where your Channels folders and such are, or can they be installed on your local pc?
The Docker website doesnt really help out on any of my questions, and I know that I shouldnt expect anyone here to help with another app, I just need a little guidance if someone would be kind enough to give a bit! :innocent:

I have Channels DVR on an Nvidia Shield and Docker on a PC.
So, yes you can install Docker on your local PC

2 Likes

thanks, now I just have to figure out how to get that docker file into my channels dvr setup

1 Like

Follow Maddox's instructions here:

1 Like

Ok, I'm hoping I can explain this once and for all.

pluto-for-docker is an EXTREMELY simple application. It simply just reads the channel list and guide data that Pluto uses for its apps and website, and rewrites it in to an M3U and XMLTV format that general clients can use. In addition, it does this in a way that utilizes all of the extended meta tags we have created so that it provides better data for Channels. It also creates a unique UID used in the urls so that you guys aren't all using the same one, this prevents the cut outs.

It just reads in text and writes text out, every 3 hours. Those text files are then made accessible over HTTP with links so they can be used in other projects.

This project is wrapped in a docker image so that it's super simple to run for people on computers and especially NAS devices that have very easy docker container managers.

That's it. It's insanely simple. If you don't want to use docker, use the code that is inside it. If you don't understand how to use docker, then google a user inspired tutorial for your NAS or computer (the docker website is made for developers, not end users).

It just makes URLs to use in other apps.

14 Likes

I ran into an issue on only one channel. The others seem to work fine so far. I will set up docker when I run into another problem or get bored, whichever comes first. Haha.

I'd be happy to document the process while you update to Docker. That way, we could give others a practical guide on how to do it.

My only question is where are these text files kept? Are they kept on the local server or are they written to a remote server?

I noticed that Docker created a web page on my local server with two links on it that appeared to be pointing to a remote server.

I assume the web page it creates is a one-time temporary web page that is only used to get the links. Is that correct? Can two users share the same links it creates?

I'd be happy walk you through this on a zoom call if you'd like. I'm keen to create some instructions that others could follow.

The files are served by the http server included in the docker image. The DVR software reads the data via the docker container http server, and turns it into guide data in its database.

The files are written insides the docker container. Consider the container like it’s own little operating system with its own file system. Except it’s very light weight and isn’t using the resources that an operating system uses. It just sits on top of the host system that it’s running on.

The answer to this is yes.

@maddox I've got the Docker container set up on my Synology, and it is working perfectly. Thanks for creating this image! Quick (and probably dumb) question: Is it possible that this could one day be incorporated directly into Channels DVR? Or do you foresee it always running as a separate service?

Only if they're on the same home network though.

There's no plans to have Pluto as a first class source in Channels.

Clarification please.

User A is at home watching Pluto channel 100 - User B is connecting remotely and plays the same channel 100.
The result would be?

I'm not sure if you're talking about a dvr user or m3u user. If the dvr is the only software connecting to the m3u docker, that is considered one user.

1 Like