Pluto TV and Stirr

Ok, I'm hoping I can explain this once and for all.

pluto-for-docker is an EXTREMELY simple application. It simply just reads the channel list and guide data that Pluto uses for its apps and website, and rewrites it in to an M3U and XMLTV format that general clients can use. In addition, it does this in a way that utilizes all of the extended meta tags we have created so that it provides better data for Channels. It also creates a unique UID used in the urls so that you guys aren't all using the same one, this prevents the cut outs.

It just reads in text and writes text out, every 3 hours. Those text files are then made accessible over HTTP with links so they can be used in other projects.

This project is wrapped in a docker image so that it's super simple to run for people on computers and especially NAS devices that have very easy docker container managers.

That's it. It's insanely simple. If you don't want to use docker, use the code that is inside it. If you don't understand how to use docker, then google a user inspired tutorial for your NAS or computer (the docker website is made for developers, not end users).

It just makes URLs to use in other apps.

14 Likes

I ran into an issue on only one channel. The others seem to work fine so far. I will set up docker when I run into another problem or get bored, whichever comes first. Haha.

I'd be happy to document the process while you update to Docker. That way, we could give others a practical guide on how to do it.

My only question is where are these text files kept? Are they kept on the local server or are they written to a remote server?

I noticed that Docker created a web page on my local server with two links on it that appeared to be pointing to a remote server.

I assume the web page it creates is a one-time temporary web page that is only used to get the links. Is that correct? Can two users share the same links it creates?

I'd be happy walk you through this on a zoom call if you'd like. I'm keen to create some instructions that others could follow.

The files are served by the http server included in the docker image. The DVR software reads the data via the docker container http server, and turns it into guide data in its database.

The files are written insides the docker container. Consider the container like it’s own little operating system with its own file system. Except it’s very light weight and isn’t using the resources that an operating system uses. It just sits on top of the host system that it’s running on.

The answer to this is yes.

@maddox I've got the Docker container set up on my Synology, and it is working perfectly. Thanks for creating this image! Quick (and probably dumb) question: Is it possible that this could one day be incorporated directly into Channels DVR? Or do you foresee it always running as a separate service?

Only if they're on the same home network though.

There's no plans to have Pluto as a first class source in Channels.

Clarification please.

User A is at home watching Pluto channel 100 - User B is connecting remotely and plays the same channel 100.
The result would be?

I'm not sure if you're talking about a dvr user or m3u user. If the dvr is the only software connecting to the m3u docker, that is considered one user.

1 Like

This explains why Pluto has been cutting out for me. Thanks.

I got it, thanks. It took about 20 minutes but it didn't end up being too difficult.

I'm not an expert on this, and I only just used Docker for the first time to do this. I might be able to help you conceptually. Yes, you need to install Docker on the system you are going to run this on. I don't think it has to be on the same device that you are running Channels, but probably easier and better to do that so you are sure its running when DVR is running. I'm on a Mac Mini, but whatever system will be similar.
You first install Docker, and after you do that on the Mac, you can open it up, but it doesn't really do anything. You go into terminal and execute a command line command that is provided in the github instructions that maddox provided. That single command will download the package, start it up, and set it to restart every time the system is restarted. Then you go into the DVR Settings and follow his instructions to add a new source. The only tricky part is figuring out the right urls.

So:
Step 1 - Install Docker on your system. That just allows your system to run docker apps.
Step 2 - Enter the command line command from the github package to install and start the Pluto for Channels app.
Step 3 - Add a source in Channels DVR using the instructions from the github package.

As I said, the most challenging part is figuring out the two urls for your system.

2 Likes

Once Docker is installed and the pluto-for-channels image added and started it is as simple as going to:
http://localhost:8080/ (or the IP:portnumber if you have it configured differently)
There are 2 links provided - copy the link(s) as required for use when setting up pluto as a source.

thank you for that simple to follow, easy explanation..works perfectly now! :laughing:

Seems to be working fine for me, recording via M#U, for te past several days anyway. I realize this stuff changes all the time.

I ran the command from the jonmaddix docker page, it says it installed. I tried running the command shown from link above and get an error invalid reference edit at. First time ever using docker. Not sure how to start the docker image f the command doesn’t work. Post above says there was one command to download, install and run the image. I never saw a command on the page for that so used the one I found on jonmaddox/Pluto-for-channels.
WhT am I doing wrong