Pluto TV Docker Help

The docker container runs a server on port 8080. Did you try this?

yes I did that, tried the ip for windows where I configure and also the IP of the shield that runs the actual server software

Are you sure docker is running ? It is the ip of the windows pc that docker is running on or 127.0.0.1 if you are logged into that PC.

1 Like

Did you run:
docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --name pluto-for-channels -p 8080:80 jonmaddox/pluto-for-channels
After you got Docker set up and the image installed?

1 Like

Holy cow! Until this comes pre packaged I'm going to ignore these threads. I read everything twice. It might as well be engineering a warp drive! :crazy_face:

1 Like

That was the step I missed, thanks Works now :slight_smile: :grinning: Appreciate the help

1 Like

This was my first docker I setup ever it wasn't that hard maddox instructions are on the money .. I was able to install on NAS and PC.

Seriously. If I can do it I believe anyone can. The key for me was reading and then doing - I still don't understand it but it works flawlessly.

@maddox added instructions here:

1 Like

The problem was for me I did not really understand what this was and how it worked and the documentation is not detailed and specific - I am still not sure how it works, but it does

I read the Git Hub doc. I'm obviously not up to speed in some of the jargon. The article makes no sense to a layman. In set up, it would need to be explained to me like I was a third-grader. It assumes that I know what to do and where, and what all the terms mean. It's not that important. If I could do it simply that would be fine. I'm much more interested in other things that Channels can do. I like the program a lot, I'm much more interested in getting everything on one guide, even if it's not all TVE, but that is off topic.

What OS are you using?

My computers are Win10. My server is on a Shield.

Yes, the pluto-for-channels project provides a way to run it via Docker as that is the easiest way to get it running on computers and NAS devices. The alternative is having to understand development environments and runtimes to run the actual code that does the work. Docker provides an easy way to run projects like this as if they were apps installed on a computer.

But instructions on HOW to use Docker are outside the scope of the project's instructions.

Docker is a way to distribute and run software. Every project can't explain Docker in their instructions. It's just a means to making it easier to run vs setting up and running the project by hand. It IS the easy way to run these projects.

If you don't understand how to launch and run projects via Docker, it would be worth searching out some simple articles about Docker. Here's some instructions on how to run Docker containers on popular platforms.

1 Like

I would love a Docker on PR2100 help! :smiley:

See, this is why it is frustrating. Your link says "Mac and Windows". Everything in that link is for a Mac. I know I'm not up to speed on this kind of stuff, and that's ok. I'm not a programmer. I'll just stick with what I know.

Sorry about that, while it does work for windows too, it appears to not really be supported anymore anyways. I’ve removed it.

As far as easy user interfaces for Mac and Windows go, "Docker Toolbox" was deprecated. Its replacement is "Docker Desktop." I knew nothing about Docker before trying it out, this Pluto for Channels was my very first foray into this sort of thing, and it worked out fine. Especially for beginners, I'd recommend this route:

Mac: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/
Windows: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/

3 Likes

Thanks Jon, I actually do understand now how it all works... Pretty sweet technology too

1 Like

I had Pluto running on Docker for about a week and now it is showing zero channels for the source in the Channels DVR settings, and obviously the channels are no longer in my Guide. I'm running this all on a Mac Mini and don't recall if it has worked through a reboot of the Mini, but did reboot it around the time that it stopped working. Any ideas on what I can look for to get it running again? I've never used Docker before now, so maybe I didn't set it up correctly on the Mini to persist through a reboot. Any help will be appreciated.

I tried re-running the command

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --name pluto-for-channels -p 8080:80 jonmaddox/pluto-for-channel

and I get

docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock.  Is the docker daemon running?.