PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

It does not limit them. It shows all of them.

I only see 10 out of my 21 collections. All of the collections are marked for Library.

1 Like

OK, thanks! I'll check it out.

Newest tvOS/iOS TestFlight build:

• IMPROVED: Manage collections inclusion for your content in the app.
  • FIXED: Views were only showing 10 collections, they now show all of them.
3 Likes

Works perfect. Thanks!

1 Like

I think something in the last couple of dailies may have caused a break in TV Show Stream Links that I didn't notice before:

Nothing in these changes would have effected this.

Any plans to use TMDB for movie collection information?

Yes, but it’s tricky as not every movie in libraries are using meta from tmdb.

1 Like

I really really like the new functionality. The collections are very helpful with navigating through my library. What I didn't expect was what a game-changer the virtual channels would be. There is just something truly wonderful about plopping down in the couch, selecting a channel and just passively watching whatever is on. No "discovery", searching through endless list of titles to find something good, and then feeling the weight of commitment in starting a 3 hour movie or series when a good half the stuff streaming today is garbage. Of course, we always had this with linear TV, but now it is all stuff I know is good and NO Commercials! I cannot wait to roll this out to the family. They are going to love it too.

I know there is a lot of polishing to do on the back end, but will we be able to get the front end released soon? I have to be careful adding my new virtual channels to channel collections because the most of my TVs (and family) don't have access to the beta.

Anyway, thank you for once again creating the best experience in television.

4 Likes

Agreed. I have quite the library of music concerts/docs. Having virtual channels for these is just awesome so I can just drop in and get sucked into watching something I probably never would have picked to watch just because.

1 Like

Once in while when I go to a virtual channel on the Android client I get a 'playback error' and then when I get out and go back to it, it works.

Last time was a -16 error.

v4.5.8 was released yesterday

Nice, thank you.

please excuse the dumb question so with virtual channels is the hard drive always on because its playing video files in the background? just thought i would ask since my Synology NAS lights have been green since I started the channels before there would be no activity unless I was recording or viewing something. Basically would the hard drive life be affected by this?

virtual channels aren't always "playing". They will only "play" when you tune to them.

1 Like

Oh okay got it. Makes sense. Thanks for the answer

If a virtual channel is playing and there’s nobody there, does it make a sound?

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me the virtual channel aspect of this? I get library collections. I setup a few show and movie collections and see them in ATV. So this is a very nice way to provide more organization. But what is a 'virtual channel'? Should I see this in the guide as a channel? See it elsewhere? How are some of you using this (or plan to use this)?

TIA. I am sure I am missing something....and I am new to Channels which I love (from many years of using Tivo).

You add your library content and it randomly puts things into a linear channel in your guide.

Add Seinfeld, Friends, The Office, and now you have your own custom channel showing your favorite items.