PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

:sob:

Hey Maddox I just want to say thanks, I really like your program. It’s fast and fairly reliable sometimes it sticks but that could be the DVR.
I had Plex and it was so slow and a resource hog so thanks again

1 Like

is there a way to select all of the content while trying to create a movie or tv show collection instead of selecting the content one by one.

I've got 7 or 8 virtual channels that I set up for my wife and they are all she watches anymore. Ever so often one of the channels (which is just a channel with murder she wrote episodes only) will stop populating the guide. Basically the guide says murder she wrote and list no episodes, just a single program that stretches for hours. I can always go reload it in the admin site but I'm curious what could cause this to happen and it only seems to happen on the one channel. I haven't seen anything in the log that would indicate an error.

I’m seeing the same thing on the guide for the virtual channel. No shows populated, just the channel name.
I haven’t got as far as you to ever have the guide for the virtual channel populate. Perhaps what we are seeing is related, or perhaps not.

I just started playing with virtual channels. I created a collection of game of thrones episodes, and a Thrones channel.

I have a plex library hierarchy organized by folder :

show name/season #/showname s0e1 , which works fine in plex,

I imported this into my channels local content on the server. On the client I noticed the metadata didn’t match the show, but the incorrectly matched shows do appear organized by seasons in the channels library. So I create the “thrones” collection anyway just to experiment. And then I created a virtual channel using the collection with the name “game of thrones channel”
All I can get working is to see the channel name, and a guid populated with “game of thrones channel” instead of episodes.

Does it take a while for the guide to refresh? I tried a manual refresh from the server. I didn’t rebuild the database.

Could the metadata mismatch have caused the guide not to populate for the newly created virtual channel? You would think the mismatched shows would still be flagged in the collection, and that would still populate the virtual channel.

I tried other shows and am having a lot of issues with metadata mismatch. Plex seems to match perfectly, but channels is having a tough time, so I haven’t been able to find the perfect test case yet to populate a virtual channel.

I have run into this problem a few days ago. I had all of the episodes playing in sequential order according to date released When I got to the last episode, the virtual channel did not go back to the beginning until I refreshed and did what you described. I am doing a test with random order - and I have quite a bit of content so I expected it to take a while. But, I think the random order refreshes daily based on what I can tell. I am almost positive I am seeing episodes twice while others not so often. This would happen if it's just a random selection of all the files, and not random until all have been scheduled and then repeat again with all selections.

So happy to see this update for the Smart Rules-based Collections! However, I noticed immediately an issue where the newly added programs did not honor the sort selection:

Is it sorted correctly in the app?

I have Android/Google TV, so can't tell (yet!).

I've see this on the web interface too - I think as of right now the web UI doesn't obey the new sort order options for collections, while the iOS/tvOS apps do. At least that has been my experience.

Some recent improvements to Virtual Channels on iOS/tvOS:

1. Subtitle support has gotten better (as it has in the whole app). Forced subs will automatically play for the content that has them.
  2. Subtitles should not be randomly turning on anymore.
  3. You can now watch airings that are in virtual channels immediately. Items in the future have a Watch Now button and currently playing items have a Watch from the Beginning button.
8 Likes

Just happened again today. Once again on the "Murder She Wrote" channel and when it got to the last show that is recorded. I actually have an Andy Griffith show VC that got to the last episode today also, it wrapped and started over at the first episode. Only happens on Murder She Wrote, The 6:00 pm Andy Griffith is where it wrapped back to S1E1.

How many hours of episodes of that show are in your library?

245 episodes, 1 hour each

2 Likes

any way to control which audio track plays? i have rifftrax movies and i want the first track to play but it selects the second because presumable its surround

In the future, we’ll track preferred tracks. You’ll be able to select them on the server. And if you pick them while watching, they’ll stick.

For now we can’t. It’s gonna take a big change to fix it to work like that. But it will come.

1 Like

The latest TestFlight beta for tvOS does a bit to make watching virtual channels a bit better.

When watching one, and having content matched (frame rate or HDR), the content will get unmatched when jumping to a regular channel (or rematched if you go to another virtual channel).

3 Likes

:tada: This has shipped :tada:

Thanks for ALL of the hard work and feedback from you guys. I'm going to close this topic now. If you have any issues, just open a new topic.

3 Likes