PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

lol thats cool :wink:
How have you added personal content ie stuff that is not scraped to grace note etc.

It is easy enough to add, but of course there is no meta-data with pretty picture, episode description, etc. When I tried it just as a show in my library, the experience was just awful, so I completely removed it. As a show in the library, you really need the data because what you are really doing is selecting a specific episode to watch.

But as a virtual channel, it works pretty well even without the meta-data. Because the channel = show, and as it is linear you are really just tuning in and watching whatever happens to be on at the time, the limitations are far less apparent. It provides just enough with the channel logo and show name for each episode to be viable. This was confirmed by observing my "users" successfully discover and navigate to the show.

Bottom line is that it isn't perfect, but cool nonetheless.

Of course it will be even cooler when Channels can read the meta-data from the video container and/or we can manually specify our own :wink:

I have added that but it doesn't show any results at all.

I wouldnt mind if streamlinks were included so long as it opened the link when selecting watch (appreciate the time shift wouldnt work). Sometimes its nice to take the decision out of picking a movie.

Sorry it's streamLink!=true.

1 Like

Seems like the "sort order" has gotten a bit messed up in the last few updates. Three of my channels refuse to change their lineup when toggling between random, date, etc.

With the latest pre-release, we've added a Duplicate function for Library Collections, Virtual Channels, and Channel Collections.

4 Likes

I see so you've selected hidden for all the YouTube shows and its still available in the virtual channel ?

Bug Report
I have virtual channels. Sometimes when I tune to then it will be a black picture with audio. I updated server to latest beta. Still seems to be happening. It is a intermittent problem though.

I know it's beta. Right now virtual channels work about 80% of time.

Server is on asustor nimbuster nas. Client is 2019 shield pro and 2019 shield tube.

Please keep up the hard work. Mods/coders. Y'all are GRRREAT!

This could be a decoding issue. What decoder are you using on that client? It may be worth trying other decoders to see if the issue resolves.

That was literal. Back when I first added to my library pre-virtual channels "I completely removed it" because I didn't like the way I look i.e I removed the folder from my local content sources.

But, based on your question, I went back and marked the show as hidden in the library, and it continues to work just fine. Hadn't even thought of that, but it really wasn't causing a problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does the content thats showing black while playing a virtual channel show black when normally played back from the library?

Hey guys, great job on this, so far!

Just on the case of guide gui issues, I’m using the latest beta versions of the Apple TV app and server but still get a really irritating layout for shows that are the same length. In this example, there’s a full day of shows crammed into a shorter time band.

I saw someone else had a similar issue, is this a known bug?

1 Like

Make sure you're on the latest prerelease then try Guide Database > Maintenance > Delete & Recreate

I haven't check that yet, I will when I get home.

I have the seen the same issue he has while streaming on an Nvidia Shield. Sometime I can see the picture and no audio, other times I hear the audio but no picture. I had chalked it up to this feature being in beta still..

Yes. It does play back correctly when I play from library.

King of queens S08 e09
Playback on Samsung Galaxy S10 doing same thing. So I think it's on my server side and not my client side.

Edit: Later tonight when nothing is recording. I'll check for new Beta. And I will reboot my NAS. On computers im always surprised when rebooting fixes stuff.

@tmm1 I will also do this as well tonight. Probably after 1am.
@Macnbaish My Nvidia shield(s) and Galaxy s10 are all set to hardware decode. Should I keep it there or try software or blended.

Looks like two different episodes? The first one says "from peacock"

New test. Performed while sitting outside "getting my attitude adjustment".

Galaxy s10
Playing TKOQ (The king of queens).These video files are from [Redacted Source] .

If I put client to hardware decoding on TKOQ and Friends. I get black video with audio. This appears to happen about 40-50% of time. If I change client to hybrid or software I get video and audio. Everytime.

I will test this theory on 2019 shield pro & tube. But first I must regain use of my legs. This [Redacted substance] has really got my [Explicit] up.

So @tmm1
Can you explain hybrid decoding. What exactly is that? Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to turning it on, long term?

The current clients I use.. Galaxy tab A, S9, S10, Shield Pro, Shield tube, windows laptop.

Hybrid is fine, use whatever setting works for your device and content.

On the IPhone virtual channels created from strmlnk files display but will not play.

Of course not, because stream links play in their respective apps.