PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

But it should open up the app and play from the app. And if that cannot be done they should not allow the addition of strmlnk to the virtual channel.

That totally goes against the linear nature of a virtual channel.

Agree that they shouldn't be part of virtual channels. (However, I'm of the personal opinion that stream links are a pointless/frivolous feature, so I generally just ignore anything to do with them.)

Yea, Iā€™m really trying to like (if not love) strmlnk but the overhead in creating and maintaining them is nearly an insurmountable hurdle.

This seemed to fix my issue @tmm1

Setting my Shield to Hybrid now let's all my content play through Virtual Channels. I wanted to change this setting for all my clients through the webui, but I noticed that this isn't a setting I can push out. Is there any chance this could be add as a Server-Side setting?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hmm, I could see that being cool. But then you're left in that app, and after that video was done playing, you would have to manually navigate your way back to the Channels app to get back to what's playing next in its guide. Seems like a lot of work and a roundabout way of just playing what you want to play. What's the use case for setting up these strmlinks and a Virtual Channel for this sort of thing, when you can just browse your Collections and play content on-demand, instead?

That said, I tried strmlinks too, was really hoping for VUDU support. But I've also got 900+ movies in iTunes (by way of Movies Anywhere) that would be great to integrate into Channels but don't have time/motivation to create all the strmlinks. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

I'm still having fun with these great new features. It's very gratifying to be able to leverage our collections of content in new and interesting ways.

Weā€™ll remove strmlinks from being available for this.

They make no sense in this context.

1 Like

What do you use to scrape YouTube channels?

Are library and channel collections on a short or long term roadmap to available on the web guide, or are these features strictly for other devices? Thanks.

Probably eventually, but we prioritize these things for the apps. We consider the web admin just that, a way to administrate things.

Had to go back and look. I used 4K Video Downloader but there are dozens of tools available.

youtube-dl is made for this. Very powerful tool with lots of options and supported sites beyond YouTube.

Iā€™ve made some movie and TV show collections that are working well for the most part- but when I try to re-order any of TV Show collections in the web UI many of the items just donā€™t seem to ā€œstickā€ to their new places. Some of them do, some of them donā€™t. Iā€™ve tried to discover a pattern but I canā€™t. Iā€™ve also tried different browsers but they all seem to have the problem.

Any advice on how to fix or how to give more helpful information?

I've experienced this too. I don't think it's user error, just a bug.

Can I pls check whether this setting

Playback > Advanced > Match Content for Live TV

also applies to Virtual Channels or will they play like they do from the library ie respecting the tvOS system settings.
Thanks

They play like they do from the library in my experience

:point_up:

gracias all

is there a way for the virtual channels to auto update when a new movie is added to the library or do we have to go in and rebuild the channel each time ?

I assume you mean when using queries.

It doesnā€™t right now but it will in the future.

will it add episodes when new ones are added? This when adding a show