Problem: Live TV pauses, info bar is displayed (HDHR streams)

I don’t mean the hdhr app, I mean the hdhr tuner. All sources from Channels pause.

@mtnbkr60 Although I don't have this issue with IPv6, what @tmm1 is trying to say is that if you let him know which is the version where the pausing started, it's much easier to find the bug, if there is one.

I’m afraid with all the many updates that have been published over the past months and my travel obligations I could not pinpoint the origin of the issue.

I have been doing some further investigating of the issue tonight and I wonder if anyone else who is having the pause issue is running the built in firewall or any software firewall on their DVR? If so what rules do you have setup?

Hi @tmm1 re whether this issue affected TVE or not a day ago. Here was @mtnbkr60 ’s post from several days ago. Perhaps you missed it.

No, my Mac mini is running inside of my separate firewall.

UPDATE

Disabling IPV6 on my Synology server has not fixed this, the problem is back. It has been fine for a few days but starting this morning the problem is back. This is 100% a app problem

You are correct. I have pauses back today too no matter what I do with IPv6.

Wondering if this is only related to people using Apple TV for a client? Is anyone using the Shield seeing this problem?

I asked for two pieces of debugging information which I have not received. To recap:

1. install the oldest TestFlight beta build available. does it still happen?

2. install the newest TestFlight beta build, change Legacy HDHR Streaming to On. does it still happen?

I cycled IPv6 off again after the beta issued yesterday and pausing had gone away. As soon as I turn ipv6 back on the pauses start happening again. For me now this is a TVE issue only. OTA is fine either way.

found something in the logs. These all happen right after I start a TVE stream.

2022/03/04 06:37:26.032031 [TNR] Error during live stream for ch6051 CNBC: write tcp 10.20.1.13:8089->10.20.1.17:53525: write: protocol wrong type for socket

2022/03/05 10:25:59.675548 [TNR] Error during live stream for ch6101 DISCOVERY: write tcp 10.20.1.13:8089->10.20.1.17:49209: write: protocol wrong type for socket

2022/02/28 07:01:09.358647 [TNR] Error during live stream for ch6108 DIY: write tcp 10.20.1.13:8089->10.20.1.17:50689: write: protocol wrong type for socket

*222/03/07 12:47:05.747996 [TNR] Error during live stream for ch6050 MSNBC: write tcp 10.20.1.13:8089->10.20.1.17:49992: write: protocol wrong type for socket

Very strange.

That are some reports of a macOS kernel bug which can cause this issue. It is supposedly only triggered if you have certain kinds of network extensions are installed. Do you have any VPN software or other kernel extensions on your mac?

Nope, the only thing this Mac does is run Channels. Removed all software I possibly could to allow room on SSD for recordings.

Well from what I can tell those errors are superfluous and would be appearing when you stopped watching a channel. Do the timestamps match up with when you're seeing pauses, or when you exit the player?

they look like right after I select the channel

sent logs

1ed591bf-c9fa-45c9-a749-40d4876f7491

Alright, since the beta was released to address the pause issue my system is 98% pause free using IPv6.

The only time I get a pause now is on a very few channels and only if I tune to them during a commercial. If I land on the channel during the program there is no more pause. Something about the third party servers that feed the commercials it seems.

So I think this is solved.

I haven’t got the beta, but I can also confirm that after several days the pauses returned despite turning off ipv6. Strange how it ‘fixed’ it for about a week.

You should download the latest beta. They did make a change that fixed it. Except if you happen to tune in during a commercial break on a very few select channels. Something about a third party service that feeds the commercials targeted to you. That is the only time I see a pause now, and who cares on a commercial.

1 Like