Provider - Sling TV

Oh. you think he already has setup for local channels? I thought he was trying to get local channels via TVE through sling account.

Yes, I read it as he has locals and wants to put them along side his Sling channels. An Air player would be a better option for him, but it is not the quality of hdhomerun with Channels.

The Quality of the HD Homerun is just as good as the Tuner on your TV. You receive signals at 1080p if broadcaster is transmitting it. Most broadcast 720p in my area but quality is greater my opinion than the TVE signals. Their DVR service is ok for the price but channels integrates well with HD Homerun and Philo. Philo doesn't offer local TV either so this combo is great for me. I would like to go with fuboTV but they have very little or no TVE app support. I don't know about Sling TV but they don't offer ESPN so its not for me.

1 Like

I talking about Sling TV's Air tv. Which is 540p on 1080i channels( nobody broadcasts in 1080p) FYI Sling has ESPN.

There is one here in my area. CBS in Birmingham does broadcast in 1080p. I know its only one. Your right ESPN is there sorry for that. What about TVE access. Warner TVE access is it there. PS Vue shutting down and like access to TBS and TNT but no one has those TVE access.

As bulky as that Air TV is you think it would be 1080p. I can't find any information to debunk the 540p resolution. I'm surfing around and reading folks are using TVE apps to view networks like ESPN.

I have the Air tv( came free with 3 months of sling) so I can confirm its 540 p.

1 Like

I just Emailed TNT to complain. Doubt it will do any good. I looked at all their cable logins and no OTT provider showed up. I know this goes against everything I have said, but find a friend or relative with a login. You are paying for the channel.

2 Likes

I'm in the same boat with YouTube TV. Same with them for all Warner networks as well. Its a shame PS Vue couldn't stick around but there is no better provider for TVE support. I guess the cost is to much to add TVE to their agreement.

1 Like

you might REALLY want to make sure it is 1080p. All broadcast\cable channels have chosen 720p@60 or 1080i@30 ("i" for interlaced...not "p" for progressive). Broadcasting at 1080p@60 would really test the station's capability. Plus...it would be changing the original format of the material. Original content for CBS is in 1080i.

Well, looked it up and interestingly enough, ATSC does allow for 1080p30 and 1080p24 broadcasts. I was under the mistaken impression that progressive was limited to 720p.

Probably because sports would look HORRIBLE in 1080p@30. 1080i@30 at least makes 60 fields per second. 1080p@30 is only 30 frames and 30 fields per second... so football and hockey...and other fast sports would be near unwatchable. So no broadcaster would use 1080p@30.

1 Like

I was testing the TVE interface today with CDVR and recorded a portion of a NASCAR race in 1080p. Mediainfo claims the framerate is "variable." Is it possible they are actually transmitting that at 1080p 60 frames per second at just under 4000 Kbps?

How would I go about watching the local news on each station in Milwaukee online? Or maybe America's Funniest Videos?

Every news service where I live has their news online, go to their website. America' s funniest is on the ABC website.

Only if it was super compressed. Recall that 1080p BDs even with H.285 easily run over 15Mbps (more like 25-32Mbps)

I don't how it would cost more, you would think Warner would get more as revenue watching on their apps.

This is not true. Keep in mind that nearly all major motion pictures are filmed at 24fps. This includes action movies.

From wikipedia, they broadcasters can switch between resolutions and sometimes do 1080i60, 1080p30, 1080p24. Sometimes they run a lower fps broadcast with 3/2 pulldown to stay on 1080i60. But primetime shows are mostly all filmed at 24fps.

Sports are not action films. Or motion pictures. And are filmed in real time. 1080p@30(frames, not fields), looks horrible for sports. Sling TV, for example, still has NFL Network in 1080p@30. There is a noticeable stutter on the ticker on the bottom where the words are blurred, and the football games show a lot of artifacts and trails.

Streaming providers can only do progressive frames, not interlaced. So, to make things smoother they up their sport channel to 60 frames per second....because they know 30 fps looks horrible. Otherwise, they would just keep the 30 fps to save on bandwidth. You can google, "Does so-and-so-streaming-provider-have-60fps"... and most providers give a list of channels they have in 60 fps. Because they know only the 60 fps channels will give a smooth sports showing.

I don't think it is significantly noticable. I watch sports on NBC and CBS all the time. In fact, the Ravens game this past Sunday was on CBS. And it looked fantastic, at 30fps.