Provider - Sling TV

1080i@30 != 1080p@30

CBS uses 1080i@30. interlaced (the "i") means 2 fields per frame. So at 30 frames, that is 60 fields per second. So the eye still doesn't miss much.

1080p@30 is what streaming services sometimes use because they cannot interlace frames. progressive (the "p") mean 1 field per frame. So at 30 frames, that is 30 fields per second. Which is what looks horrible.

interlaced fields or not, it is 30 TOTAL full still frames per second.

I think the streaming services look bad because they degrade the quality in other areas.

The difference is what is in the full frame.

Interlace has half of one frame per second, and half of the next frame per second. So as a puck or ball is moving, half of the image the ball moving is being produced by one frame...and then half of the next frame is being produced to help track motion. Interlace dynamically changes the frame you see by...interlacing..present and "next" frames together. This gives you motion at 60 fields per second.

As oppose to progressive... where it just produces one full frame at a moment of time. One field per frame, nothing being interlaced together. So if it is going slow enough (below 60fps), you can notice stutter and trails.

There is a reason streaming services are striving for 60fps on their channels...and it is because they cannot interlace frames. You can google any streaming service and see that they are all striving for 60fps. They wouldn't be striving for 60fps and clogging up the streaming service with more data per second for giggles. There is a reason for it.

Channels deinterlaces mpeg2 1080i60 during playback to generate 60 frames (one frame per field).

Wow, I would have thought it deinterlaced to 30 frames. If 1080i60 is 60 half-frame fields, where does Channels get the other half to deinterlace to 60 full frames? I am guessing that it duplicates the half-field of the frame just before or just after?

Just signed up for Sling blue and noticed you get CNBC and MSNBC on the $25 plan. No need to pay for the add on if you want those channels

Sling is now giving 10 hrs free dvr. Good for the A@E channels or others that don’t have TVE

Sling made package changes. Might need to rescan

Anyone know if the Sling Blue package gives you TV Everywhere access to NBC Sportsnet Philadelphia, or access to at least the app in Philly markets where the Sixers Phillies and Flyers play? This channel is going to be the biggest thorn in my side when cutting the cord.

Do you know who has the second best since vue is being canceled?

Anybody who wants to know this is all Sling TV TVE supported Channels are now that they dropped many Jan 1st 2020 (Blue)

Sling is bad but not that bad

I guess Sling, with its AirTV and Channels combo is no longer paying networks for TV Everywhere streams? Would be a shame if so, especially considering their price went up as well.

10 posts talking about YouTubeTV were merged into an existing topic: Provider - YouTube TV

Hallmark channels do not show up in the Channels app from Sling TV. Is this something coming?

Ask Sling

1 Like

I talked to Sling on the phone today. I asked about TVE support and the phone rep "claimed" that they offered TVE service on all their channels. Obviously, she didn't have a clue what has been discussed on this forum. The fact is, it seems Sling has "very" poor support for TV Everywhere Service with no contracts in place for most of their channels. Since I use Channels DVR, this is a non-starter for me; and I will not be using Sling.

I think this may belong here, sorry. If so, mods please move original post. Thanks!

1 Like

I was getting all my Sling Blue channels in Channels...until last Friday. It has reverted to the very short list in the very first post in this thread.

Very frustrating. I am now looking for a new provider.

Just signed up for channels because it stated it would work with slingTV. when I try to add the slingTV through TVeverywhere, I receive exec: "google-chrome": executable file not found in $PATH tried both in chrome and in firefox. What do I need to do to fix this?