Provider - Spectrum

Those are AVC test channels. At some point they’ll be converting all the channels to H.264.

I updated my router DNS to use OpenDNS. Everything works fine now. Thank you for your post.

Has something changed with Spectrum? As of today, I am missing a giant block of channels in TVE. I'm on version 2020.05.19.0141. Submitted log: 42d45c7d-c991-4575-ba40-e261a9e30198

Just to rule it out, have you tried going directly to those channels' websites and trying to log in with your Spectrum credentials? It happened to me a bit ago with Disney Channel and I had to reach out to both spectrum and disney to get the authorization fixed (even though the channel still worked in the Spectrum app).

Just tried Motortrend as an example. Got right into the app no problem. I go back to Channels and rescan, now getting: 403 You've exceeded the maximum number of streaming sessions. To watch this program, sign out of one of your other sessions, and try again.: stream limit reached

You have to be patient with spectrum. You should try again every 15 mins for each channel you are seeing This. Did you add the source recently. Delete then add also will cause this. It took me a couple of hours to get all mine back. This is not an issue with channels, but spectrums authentication system. They had an issue with-it a few days ago you you are seeing this now tuning into a Discovery or Fox network channel. If edit does not work you will have to delete the source and re-add. Some channels will error out but be patient and try them again 15 min intervals.

Info
ChannelsDVR Server version 2020.05.20.0521
NAS: WDPR4100

I'm having trouble getting NFL Network authorized. It works fine in Chrome, but I get the following error on a FRESH install of channels DVR when doing the scan and subsequent re-scans of the channel.

nfl media: 401 Unauthorized: Grant id=[366821144], permissions=[FOX] insufficient for MediaObject mcpId=[US-US-IN-117528], authorization=[MVPD], permissions=[NFLN]

I sent a full diagnostic log 59e43891-caa0-431a-820f-9e2fefbccc20

I read something to this effect yesterday, but can't seem to find it, but here goes.....

As I experienced, if you have something like Spectrum cable using an HDHR Prime with cablecard, normally DRM is an issue with most if not all the channels except locals, depending on where you are and which system you're on.

I read that if you install and load the Silicon Dust DVR app on the device also, it will identify/authenticate whatever it needs to for DRM using that SD HDHR DVR app, which then opens up being able to use all the DRM channels in Channels app as well. Does anyone have experience with this to confirm? If true it sounds like the authentication happens on the HDHR Prime itself, so once it is authorized/authenticated it is good to go wherever used, which when you think about it makes some sense, but with copy protections who really knows.

Not sure where you read this, but it's absolutely not true. SiliconDust's software can view DRM channels on most devices (but not all), but cannot record it. WMC can view and record DRM channels. Channels (the software) can neither view nor record DRM content, period.

Yeah I am killing myself to find the reference. When I read it, I think yesterday, I immediately thought of posting this question here but couldn't at the time and I lost the reference somehow.

Did you actually physically try this yourself though, or just going by what you've read and/or other things you've tried? I am not doubting you or if what you say is the case, just wondering why it was said in my reference and if anyone actually tried this exact thing.

The Channels software is not able to decode the DRM-flagged content, period. It does not have the certification that would give it the cryptographic keys necessary to ensure the protected path required.

And yes, being an owner of a Prime—with Spectrum, né Charter—I know this from first-hand personal knowledge.

Some media devices with DLNA renderers can view DRM channels. If you have the HDHomeRun app on certain Android TV devices, you can use it as a source for Live Channels and view DRM content in that app. But there is no way for Channels to view DRM content from the Prime.

1 Like

OK that also makes sense and I appreciate the info. So the authorization and decoding takes place in the software and not the hardware device, in this case the HDHR Prime.

So to be clear, you had the HDHR DVR app installed, loaded and open on the same client device (AppleTV, Android, FireTV, etc.) as your Channels DVR client and tried displaying a DRM channel?

Channels DVR client doesn't even let you select DRM stations. It doesn't matter what other apps you have installed on the same box, DRM will not work in the Channels app.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks all! I wonder what they were referring to then? :thinking:

Live Channels?

With;
Channels Live
Live Channels
Channels
Channels Plus

Some people get confused...

Yep, forgot to quote HarperVision, updated my post

I don't believe it was in reference to Live Channels. As @racameron pointed out, it does DRM already so you wouldn't have to have HDHR DVR app installed for it to work with DRM'd channels.

Was this the post you were thinking of?

2 Likes

Oh wow yes I think it was! Now that I see it again and after you guys’ great explanations I see the context in which it was used. Thanks!