Provider - Spectrum

Nope. Been working for years and now for some reason it only works on the Spectrum app.

CC4C should work for you. I use spectrum outside the home on it, but you may only be able to 1-2 streams. 3 would be pushing it.

2 Likes

I've also lost access to the Fox Sports channels (eg. FS1 and Big Ten Network). Same error.

not entitled: mvpd: Connected TV devices may only be used in subscriber's home.

I get the same thing (with a less informative error message) if I try to use the Fox Sports app on my Chromecast, but it still works on my PC in a browser, and on my phone. Not sure what's going on, and it's probably Spectrum's fault. I worry it might be intentional.

I might need to totally re-evaluate my sports watching setup if this continues, unfortunately. I really like having all the neccessary networks (OTAs, ESPNs, FS1/FS2/BTN, CBSSN, and Pac-12) all in one place. Something like YTTV or Fubo might become necessary and stop using Channels as my primary option for sports (I'll keep it for OTA recordings of news and shows). Maybe I'll supplement with Sling Blue, if FS1 TVE works with that, but that's a big extra cost for just a few channels.

Luckily, I only need FS1/BTN during college football season, as the other sport I follow is NBA, and ESPN and TNT are still working (plus most of what I need is on League Pass anyways).

The E+TV container works for Fox sports, but it's not completely reliable. Sometimes you'll get a 404 error on the streams.

1 Like

While I see the E+TV entries in my guide (and they have worked in the past), last night and this morning I am just getting a 404, but I'll keep an eye on them. Luckily, I'm out of town the next 2 weekends, so I won't be watching as much football. The games I do want to watch/record the next 2 weeks are on ABC so no issues there (there is one exception on FS1, but because I'm busy don't think I would have gotten around to watching it; also might be able to watch it on the hotel cable that night). Beyond that, we'll see what happens.

This is what I have received from Fox Sports chat. Seems something Spectrum has made a flip on here recently.

Just use CC4C I use it fine for spectrum.

2 Likes

Yeah I just need to go set that up now I guess.

CC4C is sort of working for me. But I have a few issues, maybe you guys have some suggestions.

1. Sometimes the full screen does not work. It will fullscreen itself at first, then as the page finishes loading, it goes back into windowed mode. Doesn't happen every time, but maybe half the time.

2. When I try to go to BTN with the URL Watch BTN Live | Stream Games & Shows on BTN | FOX Sports it often (not every time) starts playing FS1 instead, because an FS1 preview exists below the BTN feed (for some reason, not sure why it's even there). I thought about blocking that element with uBlock Origin but it won't let me add extensions.

3. It's not a perfectly smooth 60 FPS, though it's close. I'm not sure how the encoder works behind the scenes. I wonder if it would be better with an Nvidia GPU (I have AMD), or with Windows (I prefer Linux for most things, but it's not great at media playback stuff like this).

I also doubt my Raspberry Pi server will be up to the task for encoding that, but that's a problem for down the road. Right now I've been testing on my Linux PC.

EDIT: I may have fixed issues 1 and 2 by commenting out lines containing --disable-extensions-except= in main.js and PuppeteerStream.js (took me a while to find the latter), and installing uBlock Origin and blocking the preview videos beneath the main video. Issue 3 may have been solved by switching my desktop refresh rate from 165 Hz to 120 Hz (more appropriate for 60 Hz content). I'll need to set up a spare PC for this (replacing my RPi) for a longer term solution, but I think it could work. I also might be able to get access to a relative's Sparklight Cable credentials and just use TVE there, which may be a much simpler solution but it's been interesting exploring CC4C regardless.

1 Like

I heard Spectrum is dropping Cable TV and going with XUMO ?

They are offering for you to use the Xumo box, but the way they are delivering live tv is via OTT and is called SPECTRUM TV SELECT SIGNATURE. You can access the content via their app on Apple TV or Android (I assume they have an Android TV app). The Xumo box is just an option to watch via, not required from what I can tell.

You still have access to the TV Everywhere apps (at least on the streaming account I have with them) so that would work the same way it does now in Channels.

Here is a snip from CordCutters .

In a statement to Cord Cutters News, Spectrum said, “The Xumo Stream Box is the primary video device Spectrum will be providing to customers going forward. It delivers a next-generation entertainment experience that is integrated with the customer’s cable TV services on a level not seen on other platforms. Traditional set-top boxes will remain available to customers who request one.

Spectrum is Ditching Traditional Cable TV & Is Going Streaming Only For New TV Customers | Cord Cutters News

I consider that site to be the bureau of mis-information and incomplete information.

On their website (Spectrum) they specifically state that you can stream from any device (Apple TV, Xbox, Android,etc). So I could never understand what the point of getting that Xumo box to use with their OTT service.

I get ads from them daily about this new box.

I currently have their OTT streaming service and can watch on my apple TV device.

Scroll down about 3 pages for all the details

2 Likes

I've had spectrum cable and a nice spectrum dvr box for several years. My wife uses that. I explain to her that some day soon that DVR box will fail and she will have to use what I use.

I use the 4k ATV, CHDVR (OTT and TVE with Spectrum) and have a 48tb NAS that holds all of our movies and tv shows, except for what is on the Spectrum DVR.

As I read the info from Spectrum, the Xumo box is what they offer, but you can use any streaming device with the Spectrum app. Xumo will likely be used by people who are not aware or interested in CHDVR, Plex or Emby.

I just hope TVE stays on line.

You are right on with that statement. I often read it with the expectation of laughing at its inaccuracy.

2 Likes

The only way I could watch Spectrum was with Apple TV. But I don't like using the Apple TV with its horrible remote. I bought two of the Xumo boxes from the Xumo site and I'm glad I did. Much easier and faster than the Apple TV. The OS is similar to the Apple TV but the remote is much nicer and has channel buttons to tune directly on spectrum. I like the voice command to tune channels better. Unforfunately spectrum states that it supports android but only android devices like pads and phones but not android TV. All the sideloads I've tried don't work, So this new box has made it possible for me to watch spectrum on my TV without any sideloading. Since it's not an android box its not possible to get this to work with ADB Tuner. So it you like using Apple TV then you're right, no point in getting the box. But me that likes the old fashion remote feel then the Xumo Box is a great investment. Spectrums fine print if you read will cost you more if you get it through them but you can save a little if you go ahead and buy out right on the Xumo Site.

1 Like

This is very interesting. I wonder if the Channels Devs would consider a Channels app for the Xumo Box?

You can configure a lot of different remotes for the Apple TV, I have an old TiVo slide that I use.

I picked up one of the new Spectrum Xumo Stream boxes and I have been comparing it to the Apple TV. I have been very impressed, so far. It worked well over WiFi, but I connected it to Ethernet to give it a fair comparison with the similarly connected Apple TV. The old school style remote with numbers works great with the Spectrum app and the voice control has been accurate. Most all of the major apps are available and respond well.

If it had a Channels app, It would be a nice replacement for the Apple TV.

It does appear that Spectrum is going to be replacing the set top cable connected boxes with the Stream Box.

Spectrum TVE stopped working. Logs submitted cd21b587-ba69-4ad9-ba06-d4967cc87d4a

This is new to me. I re-entered password and rescanned channels.

2023/12/20 20:14:09.470050 [TVE] action=auth mvpd=Spectrum requestor=nbcentertainment
2023/12/20 20:14:10.601822 [TVE] action=version product=Chrome/120.0.6099.129 jsVersion=12.0.267.10 protocol=1.3 revision=@204016af461e03117aa3858b51ba4534c7cfda81
2023/12/20 20:14:10.620736 [TVE] action=page_ready chromeVersion=120
2023/12/20 20:14:10.621463 [TVE] action=navigate url=https://sp.auth.adobe.com/adobe-services/authenticate/saml?noflash=true&mso_id=Spectrum&requestor_id=nbcentertainment&no_iframe=true&domain_name=adobe.com&redirect_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsp.auth.adobe.com%2Fadobe-services%2FcompletePassiveAuthentication
2023/12/20 20:14:10.624351 [TVE] action=request type=Document method=GET url=https://sp.auth.adobe.com/adobe-services/authenticate/saml
2023/12/20 20:14:10.836817 [TVE] action=wait_for_page
2023/12/20 20:14:10.867313 [TVE] action=request type=Document method=POST url=https://tve.spectrum.net/openam/SSOPOST/metaAlias/charter/idp
2023/12/20 20:14:10.867373 [TVE] action=auth_domain domain=tve.spectrum.net
2023/12/20 20:14:17.444242 [TVE] action=page_ready
2023/12/20 20:14:17.444318 [TVE] action=wait_for_page done=true reason=page_ready
2023/12/20 20:14:17.444387 [TVE] action=wait_for_auth timeout=30s
2023/12/20 20:14:17.444422 [TVE] action=fill_form u=xxxxxxxxx
2023/12/20 20:14:17.449560 [TVE] action=tvejs msg="spectrumLogin"
2023/12/20 20:14:17.449857 [TVE] action=fill_form state=done err=&runtime.ExceptionDetails{ExceptionID:1, Text:"Uncaught (in promise) ReferenceError: reactValueSet is not defined", LineNumber:69, ColumnNumber:3, ScriptID:"12", URL:"", StackTrace:(*runtime.StackTrace)(0xc001215f80), Exception:(*runtime.RemoteObject)(0xc00348e7e0), ExecutionContextID:0, ExceptionMetaData:easyjson.RawMessage(nil)}
2023/12/20 20:14:17.449963 [TVE] action=screenshot
2023/12/20 20:14:17.616087 [TVE] action=screenshot size=90019
2023/12/20 20:14:17.616507 [TVE] action=capture_html
2023/12/20 20:14:17.621805 [TVE] action=capture_html size=123535
2023/12/20 20:14:17.622355 [TVE] action=script_error err=ReferenceError: reactValueSet is not defined
    at spectrumLogin (auth_fill_form.js:69:3)
    at fill_form (auth_fill_form.js:498:11)
    at auth.js:1:11
2023/12/20 20:14:17.931898 [ERR] Could not start stream for TVE-Spectrum ch6046 LIFETIME: TVE: ReferenceError: reactValueSet is not defined
    at spectrumLogin (auth_fill_form.js:69:3)
    at fill_form (auth_fill_form.js:498:11)
    at auth.js:1:11