Provider - Xfinity

maybe they dont' work on the weekends..?

I just removed TVE for now have a Prime until it is fixed ... Watching NCAA on FireTV Cube using XFINITY Stream to free up Prime tuners.

I’m getting a bit frustrated with this as well. I’d move to sling TV for those channels I want, but sling doesn’t support many channels via TVE.

Im just not sure what to do. I’m tired of not having some channels for a week or so, then they magically reappear if I update the channels server. @tmm1 is this a known thing? Can you help us figure out what to do next?

Is there anybody that hasn’t been affected by this today? Happened to both me and my parents separate DVRs with separate Xfinity accounts. Coincidence? I think not.

No reason to trash talk the Channels Devs. We are spoiled with how responsive they are compared to other products out there. TVE is a beta feature and they make that very clear. I have no doubt that they will do everything they are able to to try and resolve this. But keep in mind that at the end of the day, if Xfinity doesn’t like what’s going on or their security algorithm sees Channels TVE as malicious, there may be only so much the Channels Devs can do. Time will tell.

4 Likes

Dang... I'm having this issue to. I'd heard about all of the issues previously, but have avoided them fortunately.

Still not working here either. Understood that the devs can't do anything if Xfinity is blocking us, but if that's the case I'll just move my DVR functions to Plex and stop my payments to Channels. No reason to pay for this app if it's redundant to something I've already paid for.

1 Like

I could have been overtly nice about it or authentic. I chose authentic, I don't drink anyone else kool aid and would rather people here it like it is and so far here is what I've surmised:

Xfinity + Channels is fucked
Xfinity likely changed something
So will channels to adapt

Have we been informed? No. Have we been told there's an issue were working on? No. Was I charged the $8 / mo ? Yes.

Transparency man. We haven't gotten it. I'd be fine with it'll be fixed in a week to 2 weeks, no lie. But it hasn't even been acknowledged as an issue.

1 Like

For anyone wanting to use the xfinity stream app in the interim, here it is and how to use it.

Download Xfinity Stream with HDMI check disabled:

It does not create its own icon, install this for an icon:

Install a full browser such as puffin or chrome (required to load the signin page in the app)
Install mouse toggle (required to be able to navigate the sign in page)
Open the stream app, signin and start watching.

This is NOT my work, it comes from:

2 Likes

I don’t have a dog in this hunt since all of my tve sources work perfectly fine but kinda agree with you here.

I love this piece of software, I’ll most likely never use anything else and I have turned many people onto channels, but you’re right, there is barely any communication in the “important” things.

@maddox constantly rails against apple on Twitter about their lack of transparency, answer to developers complaints, how they do things for their own purpose and don’t allow developers the same. Then there is a podcast where he says this software was made because of the community, listen to the community, etc etc etc.

It looks like Tesla viewing in the car while at the drive through is/was more important than actual programming, the viewing of actual tv is less important. The msg thread is an example. An important channel for people that months ago was stated that work has to be done to get it back. No communication there after repeated inquiry.

People get this software to watch tv, mostly on tv, and the actual ability to watch tv is important first. Not other things, but that doesn’t seem the case here.

I get that’s it’s only three guys, they can run their company the way they want, they can make sure the server runs on pi’s, toasters, light bulbs and other things but don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining. Just say no, this won’t work anymore and let’s all move on. If you’re acting like Plex, don’t tell us that you don’t act like Plex.

This is the ONLY criticism I have about channels, there is radio silence when programming issues are involved. I don’t care if it’s purple, green or black, I care if I can watch in something that i pay for. If not, just tell me no.

Love the software.

1 Like

AirPlaying Xfinity Stream from Mac to Apple TV in this room for now.

I think xfinity is asking for the texted code to log in. It’s doing it to me each time I try to login on my edge browser

Sounds like you have 2FA enabled? Mine doesn't do this at all. I can also log in no issue (and no code) using the link from the log files.

Like I said on my previous post. I was getting this [TVE] Channel scan 22/206 CNN failed: Cable provider authentication failed for most of my TVE channels after running one of the Pre-Release version (can’t remember which one) so I rolled back to this Stable Release Version 2021.02.04.1931 a few weeks ago and it has been working since with no issues.

Now I just reinstalled a new instance of Channels DVR on my test machine and it installed the latest Stable Release version by default: Version 2021.03.16.1916

I think this Stable Release Version 2021.03.16.1916 might got something to do with the Xfinity TVE authentication issues.

2021/03/22 08:33:41.850742 [TVE] Channel scan 22/206 CNN failed: Cable provider authentication failed

If they can send me this Stable Release Version 2021.02.04.1931 I can reinstall on my test machine to see if it works again.

1 Like

Not asking me for texted code.

Yes xfinity is not working. Yes we are looking into it. No we don't know why this is happening or if/when it can be fixed.

13 Likes

No code needed here either. I've also moved on to just using each channel provider's app within tvOS, rather than streaming from my desktop computer; less hacky.

Ok I turned off 2FA .. thanks for the tip

For what is is worth, I use xfinity and have no issues at all. But xfinity is my least used source so maybe I don't have enough activity to trigger their algorithm. Who knows? But it isn't completely broken.

You are just lucky like me ...

2 Likes