Provider - YouTube TV

no Smithsonian channel for YTTV anyone else?

Smithsonian doesn't offer a live stream, only on-demand content. Therefore it is not able to be integrated into Channels.

Only networks which offer live streams of linear programming on their websites using TV Everywhere credentials are able to be used with Channels. If you know of a network that works for you in this manner that is not available in Channels, please contact the developers with the website where the live stream can be viewed so they may investigate whether it can be integrated.

hey thanks for the help after a lot more reading im now understanding what TVE is and not all works for TVE.

If the YTTV app as a channel for a "live" channel for the Smithsonian Channel. why is it not a TVE channel?

Channels doesnā€™t have access to the same ā€œinterfaceā€ that the YouTube TV app does. It uses a web-based mechanism (and components of the Chrome browser ā€œbehind the scenesā€) to login to the actual channelā€™s website (not YTTV). It then passes your YTTV credentials using a standard authentication mechanism called ā€œTV Everywhereā€ to access the stream. Hopefully all of that makes sense.

So, what is required is a website that offers a live stream if the channel that runs 24/7, that allows login using YTTV credentials via TV Everywhere.

Smithsonian doesnā€™t qualify because they do not offer a ā€œliveā€ stream of their channel, only on-demand content.

To directly answer your question, the content providers and cable companies negotiate which channels will support TVE as part of their contract. Iā€™m assuming there is an additional cost to this for the cable companies.

interesting. Im learning a lot here today. without further highjacking this thread is there a FAQ or more info i can read on how getchannels works and doesnt work? Thanks

I addressed this in the second part of this post:

Hopefully that answers a few of your questions.

Channels records directly from the individual channels website live stream. If that particular channel doesnā€™t have a live stream on their website Channels wonā€™t work.

I donā€™t believe so, although the developers have mentioned that they know more documentation is needed. I think they are working on it.

Can anybody post a list of currently available channels with YTTV TVE? This list on their site vs what Iā€™m seeing on my demo are vastly different.

The Streamable maintains a pretty decent listing. Just remember to omit A+E Network channels and others that do not provide live streams in their websites:

Link from first post in this thread
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7556177?hl=en

@chDVRuser... I reviewed that list however I'm not getting a number of those channels when I add my login to Channels DVR. FS1 and FS2 to name a couple.

@racameron Thank you. That seems to match up better to what I'm seeing in channels.

You may need to rescan because of the Sinclair carriage negotiations. Also, I'm not sure if those stations were also lost with FS Prime Ticket and FS West ...

I figured if anyone knew what YTTV channels were available via TVE it would be Google.:astonished:
So you're saying their YouTube TV help page article is incorrect?

At least from what Iā€™m seeing in my case yes Iā€™m only getting 96 channels on my TVE tuner and missing some of those channels. I havenā€™t tried a login directly on their site.

FS1 is still working fine for me via YTTV. Just confirmed. I have a total of 111 channels via YTTV on the public release.

1 Like

Interesting. I've already deleted the tuner and rescanned I guess I'll check if I'm behind on DVR updates and try again.

I updated to the newest DVR available and sure enough the missing channels popped up. Thanks Macnbish for the confirmation on this!

1 Like

We've released a change in the latest DVR pre-release that we hope will resolve these issues with having to remove and re-add YouTube TV. Let us know if you see any improvement.

2 Likes