Recent Channels versions not showing an up-to-date recordings list

I’ve noticed this for several weeks now. Currently running the latest Channels v5.6.5 on the latest tvOS - 16.5.

The “Recordings” tab does not accurately reflect what’s being recorded / watched / etc. It doesn’t appear to be refreshing regularly or in realtime any longer. Not sure if something changed recently…nothing substantive in my setup. Pretty vanilla overall, Channels DVR running on a local network, etc.

Thoughts? Anyone else running into similar?

1 Like

Are there instances when it does update? If so do you know the circumstances?

Does it update if you restart the app?

If you could provide some good scenarios it would be helpful.

If I force a restart of the app, things refresh properly, one time. Same if I flip through enough tabs (recordings, guide, etc.) enough times…it will eventually refresh, but it’s certainly nowhere near the realtime that it was.

@sdust I’m also seeing the behavior where things aren’t marked as “viewed” after watching them on the same Apple TV. When I force a refresh through the above methods, it eventually shows the correct state.

@maddox Happy to do whatever testing / logging is needed here. Thanks.

Let's keep this thread on topic, the replies (now removed) were all over the place. This is about an issue with the latest Apple TV version of Channels, specifically about the Recordings view.

2 Likes

I keep downloading the most recent update and am now running 2023.07.06.1740 on my server and have Channels v5.6.5 running multiple AppleTV's for my three televisions along with my iPad and iPhone. But the updates have still NOT returned my list of recordings back to what it used to be. Right now In only see a list showing TV shows recorded "Over A Month Ago" and anything that happened to be recorded today. Nothing else... Nothing from previous days or last week. I really miss see my list in reverse chronological order, the way it had always been displayed. Now I have to search to find recordings I made two days ago or last week. I WANT MY RECORDINGS LIST BACK THE WAY IT WAS!

When can expect a fix for this problem in the stable releases?

1 Like

It would be helpful if you can try the TestFlight and tell us if its fixed there.

1 Like

@Bandmaster are you seeing this behavior? If you force restart the app (click TV/Home twice and swipe up), then the recordings list is correct. Or are you seeing a different issue?

TV/Home???? Where do I find that? On my server or on my AppleTV screen? I forced an update on my server's ChannelsDVR software twice already.

Is this a problem with the viewing device's software (AppleTV or iPad) or the the server's software (my Linux Ubuntu machine)?

You're Apple TV remote.

It is not related to your server so updating the server won't do anything.

You need to install TestFlight from the App Store and then install the Channels Beta app shown in there and see if it works. If it does, we will prioritize making a release to the store. Otherwise we will need details about what you're seeing that in app.

TV/Home is the button on the Siri remote.

1 Like

I listed what I see now in my original posting. I only see whatever has been recorded today and TV shows from over a month ago. I used to see every I recording, either a TV show or a movie for every day going back to the date I installed ChannelsDVR. All the movies I have recorded no long appear on the list, and only TV shows from over a month ago, no other TV shows appear on the list, unless I recorded it today.

If I get time today I will think about doing the TestFlight route. I did read the warning you guys posted about not downloading Beta software for iOS, so what gives with asking me to do just that? I did force my iPhone to download and install the app fresh yesterday and it still displays the list wrong. As it does on all five of my devices.

BTW, there is no TV/Home button on my iPad or iPhone and I use my Logitech Harmony on my main TV.

I just did the "TV/Home button thing" on the TV in the bedroom and it changed nothing. List still wrong.

That post was warning against installing operating system betas. Not our software betas.

Something is certainly being weird with your setup since it’s not showing some recordings. And no one has reported something like this.

Please open the Channels app and submit diagnostics in Settings > Support.

This will send us logs from your app and server. It will be helpful to have these as well.

Okay, I just submitted the diagnostics logs from the app on all three of my AppleTVs, one 4K and two A1625's, plus the app on my iPad. Hope that helps figure this out.

Looking at your diagnostics, you don’t have any recordings for shows in the last few days.

You have something recorded today, something from 4/9/2023 and everything else was recorded in 2022.

Could you detail what shows you were expecting to see, that you aren’t. because in looking at your diagnostics, it appears what you are seeing is correct.

We usually record TV shows that we want to watch later. We watch them, then we delete them most of the time. But sometimes there is one we want to keep for a longer time. Its not the TV Shows missing from my recording list that bothers me, it is the Movies. We don't get around to watching the movies as fast as we do the TV Shows, so I want to see the Movies on the list to remind me that I need to watch them. Otherwise they just become part of our movie library. I always tended to check the recording list for something to watch instead viewing the library.

We record several shows everyday, like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, The Five and several other shows that are in reruns. But like I said, we delete them after we watch them. But sometimes we are busy and don't watch for a couple days. At this point right now we have watched all the TV Shows and have deleted them. Except the All-Star Game that is recording right now, since I have to be elsewhere tonight and can't watch it live. But like I said, I want to see the Movies on the list too!

This all started a couple weeks ago, but I was really busy at that time and couldn't logon to check this forum for what caused it. I was hopping it sort out with the updates, but so far that hasn't happened.

OK, so as we explained, this has been resolved and is fixed in the current TestFlight beta version. You can grab that and have it fixed immediately, or wait till it lands in our release version. We have no schedules or promises on when new official releases are put out.

As for the missing shows, please keep some around and let us know when you're seeing the issue, and submit diagnostics to us again. As it is now, we can't really learn anything about what's going on if you don't actually have the current data exhibiting the issue.

I’ll try out the Testflight today and let you know…

@tmm1 and @maddox - tried the TestFlight version.

Good news: the list of recordings refreshes dynamically now.
Bad news: recording state doesn’t.

So if I say record three episodes over the course of an hour or so…I’ll see an entry for the three episodes…what I won’t see is the “completion circle” update showing it’s recording / level-of-watchedness state that’s to the left of the recording.

A force-quit / app-reopen cycle will clear the issue one time, still.

Thanks.

1 Like