Request: Channel Numbers?

I have heard this exact same feedback in my house as well. Other guides let you punch in a number to jump to that channel position in the guide.

I’ve added channel entry on the Guide tab for the next beta build. If it works well then we can expand to the video player as well.

1 Like

Which beta? I’m on 143

I just released v143, it should work on that version. On the Guide tab if you click some numbers, half a second later it will jump to that number in the grid.

Hmm. I’m using FlirC for number entry for my shields. They are received fine within HDHR app.

Should that work with your config?

I just tested with FLIRC and it seemed to work. First I upgraded it, then I did learn under Kodi with the number pad. Then I plugged it into the SHIELD and entering a number jumped to that channel.

Right now it only works for exact number matches. Maybe it should try to find the closest entry, so if you do 500 it goes to 505 or whatever.

1 Like

I don’t know about the 500/505 example, but entering just “2” should drop you on “2.1”, for example, IMO.

If we’re using Harmony connected to Shield via Bluetooth, should this work?

I’m just listening for number keys so it should work. Did you try it?

Not yet :slight_smile: just over-eager. I’m at work, but I’m excited to try the second I get home!

Ok, working ok, but a couple of issues.

1. When I first enter the guide, I have to hit a d-pad direction to move the cursor to “wake” it up. After I do that, channels responds to numbers. Did nothing before I ipdid that.

2. You have to press the number buttons pretty rapidly, otherwise nothing happens. Not sure what the “wait” time setting is, but I’d increase it.

3. Any way to just immediately page to the selected channel rather the scroll? It’s kind of distracting with the scroll.

Thanks,

1 Like

It does work - and it does jump to the channel number in the guide, but ONLY after interacting with the D-Pad. I had to navigate a bit before any of the numbers were recognized, echoing the report of @skoal74 above. I also noticed the ‘wait’ time is pretty rapid and with the Harmony Elite, it’s a bit off because of how those touch-sensitive numbers work… if you could increase that recognition time, that might help. Thanks!!

I just programmed-in the number keys under the “Kodi” template. The FTV light blinks when I press them, but nothing happens. This is with Channels in the Guide.

I neglected to program-in the “.”, but you said you’re just listening for number keys, anyway. What I was hoping was pressing “9” would take me to 9.1, for example.

Not high on my “want list,” but it would be cool if it worked.

I’m not really following here. The number entry should work as long as the focus is in the grid. If you’re focused on the left menu then it won’t work.

Are you saying you’re focused inside the grid, but the numbers still don’t work until you move up/down first?

I’ve uploaded a new beta (v144) with some improvements:

• no more scroll animation
  • if there’s no channel match, the grid will move to the closest match (2 -> 2.1, 500 -> 520, etc)
  • longer timeout (from 500ms to 800ms)
1 Like

Looking forward to it making it out of Beta. It’s too bad Amazon’s testing channel is so wonky.

Yes, I have my Harmony hub and Echo ready to go. Just waiting to get out of Beta.

Right… and perhaps it’s an issue with the Shield and Harmony. I’ll update to the new beta you just pushed out and see if it still happens.

On the Shield…Harmony Touch Keyboard number entry now works. Have to input #’s fairly quickly, though.

ATM: Don’t have the Harmony Smart Control remote paired, so can’t test. But based on above, I expect it will work.

As the remote number keys are fairly small, it may be harder for those with “old” fingers/brains to input fast enough.

But that’s for another day LOL.

P.S. How does one insert emoji’s on this new forum layout?

I don’t have to worry about this on my tv at home since I don’t have enough channels to worry about number input, but I was really annoyed with the TV at work because I can never seem to type fast enough, so I feel your pain.

As far as emojis, on my iPhone, I seem them under the hamburger menu.

1 Like