Stirr for Channels

I don't understand why STIRR would not be expected to work well with recordings, but fine for live. I get that the thumbnails are wonky and not very attractive, but the time slot in the Guide is designated for the program so what would cause a recording problem? I've recorded quite a few shows and they seemed to me like they were working OK. For example, I recorded a couple of seasons of World Poker Tour episodes and they seemed to have all recorded OK, though I've not watched them yet.

My experience is that a show will record but it tends to fail where you have several different episodes. The guide lacks sufficient episode info so Channels doesn't record because it thinks it recorded it already. This is specifically with season passes. It's hard to imagine how this can be solved in software because basic needed information is missing. So this seems to be a flaw that we will have to live with unless Pluto/Stirr start providing more complete info.

For exactly what @psperry just described.

That's great that some of your recordings worked well. I'm just setting expectations on this. A lot of people comment on these sources with problems recording or using a pass. I just want to make it clear that these are projects and they're doing their best to get content into Channels, but they are not official sources and your mileage will vary.

3 Likes

I appreciate the work that Robbie put into this project. He's not getting paid to do this for us, and I'm for one not complaining about recording issues. It just nice not having to close out of an app into another app to watch the same live content thru their app. Its just they are not getting credit from us viewing the content thru Channels. The guide view is far way better than what's provided from Stirr or Pluto apps. Their guides are so slow and buggy that they are not usable. Any shows that I want to record with all the seasons, I just record them with PlayOn Cloud or Desktop. These 3rd party so called Live TV are not really willing to put real money into them to compete with real Live Steaming providers or Cable Systems.

2 Likes

Well said! This is an awesome share any way you slice it (thanks again @robbiet480!) I've been enjoying it every day. And all things considered, it feels like even more of a gift that it integrates with Channels as well as it does.

2 Likes

How far in advance is the guide updating Stirr (and Pluto)?
Mine only seems to be updating about a day?
I have it set to auto update every 6 hours but I am curious if when it loads, it only is going to load a little over a days worth of data?

That’s correct. That’s the most STIRR seems to provide.

Diagnostics submitted

So, my wife asked why I added Pluto and Stirr to Channels, instead of just using those apps. I told her there were 3 reasons:

1. Because I can...thanks to you guys.
  2. You can record.
  3. You can look ahead in the guide.
    She gave me the ole' nod of approval.

I just want to re-iterate that this is nice to have, but it is a hack and I appreciate when anyone here does something gratis, because I don't have the skills. I appreciate it and you won't hear me complain about 'it won't do this' or 'it won't do that'. I might politely ask for help or make suggestions.

4 Likes

It's also worth mentioning that Pluto and Stirr can block us at any time. So, think of it as a bonus that may end abruptly.

Good thinking. In a sense, I think the same way about TV Everywhere and Locast content in Channels, too. This type of integration might be available forever. It might not. And yet one way or another, we'll adapt.

"Enjoy it while it lasts" has served me well as a motto in life...

1 Like

I cant figure out where you put the station id, i want to set mine Katu

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I haven't seen a lot of complaining in this thread. I have seen:

1. A bunch of well deserved appreciation
  2. Some people having trouble getting things to work
  3. Folks sharing their experience

I agree that it is really annoying when people come into a forum and demand that you make their free/beta software work, but I don't see a lot of that in the Channels community. This community is filled with enthusiasts who want to participate in making Channels as good as it can be. That's why this is the only community I check in on daily.

I guess I didn't just speak for myself after all. Sorry (not sorry). :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You might have read that wrong. I wasn't speaking about anyone else. I was just saying I appreciate anything I get for free and won't complain if it doesn't meet my very specific need. I wasn't knocking anyone else.

Edit: BTW, I agree with what you said about this community...which is part of what I was trying to express.

Fair enough. My thoughts were general and not aimed at you specifically. Not the greatest use of the "quote" feature.

I agree with all of that!! Any of my comments were an attempt to set expectations.

We don’t just love our community, we’re impressed with how great, helpful, and kind it is!!

5 Likes

My only expectations originally was Stirr working like Pluto but then when I realized the Stirr thumbnails were not as good on their end, my expectations were lowered. The Stirr now playing isn't good like Pluto but the guide data is great.

I set up three collections, 1) Movies on both Stirr and Pluto using the channels with almost always movies. 2) Stirr TV, all the channels with TV shows that I may watch, and 3) Pluto TV with all the TV shows on Pluto I may watch. Also, I grouped the shows into similar categories, comedy, drama, ect.

1 Like

Pluto works all of the time for me. Regarding Stirr, I have to stop and restart the docker container every couple of days or so. I find that suddenly Stirr appears to have over 500 channels (in settings), and the individual shows don't show in the guide. I stop the container, restart, and then go into settings to reset Stirr and it works again.

Sounds like your stirr docker container is out of date with the latest fixes.

1 Like

I've been having trouble lately with requests timing out, and then the channel count going to zero.

2021/05/12 00:45:29.603494 [ERR] Failed to request m3u for Stirr: Get "http://dvr-server.local:8081/playlist.m3u": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

In an effort to solve this I tried setting refresh m3u to never, but it still seems to be doing it from time to time (after an update?). Reloading doesn't help; the only thing that fixes it is removing the m3u URL and saving, then going back and editing it back.

Is the solution as easy as just increasing the timeout?

Thanks.