Streamlink on Channels Guide for NBC Owned Channels?

Don't know if it would be possible, but would the developers be able to allow users to add a streamlink (or something similar) to the program guide for missing NBC channels? So on the Channels guide you would see USA, Bravo, etc. just like before... and show the programs that are currently airing on those channels... and then when the user clicks on the program it would open YouTube TV to watch that channel, or open the record function in YouTube TV to allow you to record the program on the YouTube TV app.

Thought that at least we could easily see what was on those NBC stations inside of the Channels guide and have it open another app when selected.

1 Like

The Fire Tv stick when properly setup with Yttv already has the function.
I like the idea but seems like we are re-invening the wheel.

I like this idea. A placeholder in the guide would make a lot of sense and could maintain some semblance of cohesion in our live TV watching, as NBCU pulled the rug out from under us.

1 Like

We could put entries on the guide that launched the NBC app.

The question is, does the NBC app allow being launched into the player for a specific channel?

1 Like

You can give this a try with the latest DVR prerelease and tvOS testflight beta:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="bravo_east" tvc-guide-stationid="58625",BRAVO
strmlnk+nbctve://live/bravo/bravo_east

Cool! I'm down to test this out. I updated server and client, added this Custom Channel.

On to the TV, it looks great in the guide:

But when I actually try to watch what's on, I get this error:

Could not fetch playlist: live: Get "strmink+nbctve://live/bravo/
bravo_east": unsupported protocol scheme "strmInk+nbctve"

I have both the NBC and Bravo apps installed and logged in on this AppleTV, for what it's worth. Both show their "LIVE" guide, as well as access for all other NBCU channels.

Which app should this be launching? Anything else I can troubleshoot?

2 Likes

Another testflight coming shortly..

With 4.24.0102 DVR, the following settings are preferred for Custom Channels:

Stream Type: STRMLNK
Type: Text
Content:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="bravo" tvc-guide-stationid="58625",BRAVO
nbctve://live/bravo

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="cnbc" tvc-guide-stationid="58780",CNBC
nbctve://live/cnbc                                                                                     
2 Likes

Seems to be working here for me now on iOS. Not sure about tvOS.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a way to play east vs west channels. It seems to pick the one for the timezone you're in

Wow, great work and fast! I’ll be testing this ASAP!

Is this a possible work around for the NBC DRM issues or something completely different?

Can we use this as a work around for the NFL Network as well?

If you can find a universal link that opens the app, sure, you can do anything you want with these, it's just a matter of it working. All Channels does is open the URL, you just need to find the right URL.

Kind of but it's only for watching live TV that will be done in the separate NBC app that needs to be installed on your device. There is no possibility to record in Channels DVR with this method.

1 Like

It definitely does not work with FireTV. Connection Lost rather than launching Peacock and opening the channel.

1 Like

You need the beta

I thought Amazon restricted the ability to deep link. Is that just to content within other apps, then and not just for launching the app itself?

Running the beta, just plays a black screen, no app launch.