TV Everywhere Experiences (Internal Beta)

I really like this new feature. My record engine is on a Synology 918+ and when I play a recording on the Nvidia Shield it works well. However, when I try to play back a recording on Windows 10 using Chrome and the Web UI it starts remux and pauses at 5mXXs. Once the playback gets to the 5mXXs mark it stops. Sometimes if I click ahead it will start remuxing again, but it will again stop playing at the next remux pause time. All devices are connected to the same ethernet switch.

1 Like

I've noticed the same thing

I believe there is an issue with remuxing/transcoding the TVE streams. I noticed something similarly this weekend when trying to remote stream a TVE recording.

When viewing the remote stream, if I tried to skip forward, the stream would end. When I restarted the stream, it would resume from its last position, but having to do this every commercial break was a bit tiresome.

(I haven't had a chance to test it locally, and to try across different TVE channels/providers to see if the problem was related to a particular stream, some network issue, or something else.)

2 Likes

I would be interested to know if Spectrum in the Los Angeles area is on of the 6-8 cities that allows local affiliate streaming via TVE.

I tested it on three or four of Charter Spectrum TVE channels and consistently had the same problem. I also tested it on two Windows 10 computers and again the same problem. I changed to 720p@6mbps and it transcoded with similar, but less consistent problems.

I noticed the same thing as well, thanks for explaining the details of the issue!

Channels DVR has a lot of issues at the moment seeking h.264 recordings when watching remotely. Lowering your bitrate low enough to force transcoding should fix it. (If doing this makes your recordings instantly skip to the end whenever you start watching them, try switching to the hardware transcoder if it's available on your DVR server)

I am using the hardware transcoder, and the nitrate was low enough to transcode, not remux. (Although, part of the problem may have been that the hardware transcoder is inferior to software. Or, could be problems with the audio stream of the recording, too.)

I'm not sure how to check this. In Spectrum's app you can't stream the locals. (At least, I can't; while my Spectrum is listed as "Riverside", we're still technically part of the Los Angeles TV market.)

Edit: Yes, the LA market does allow live streaming, at least through the NBC app on iOS. It correctly identifies that my local affiliate is KNBC, and my provider is Spectrum.

I have about 90GB (and building) of channels cache files built up in my appdata/local/temp folder on my c: drive on Windows 10. My dvr folder is on my d: drive. This only started since I signed in with the TVE option. What is causing this?

known bug, already brought it up to @tmm1 and he said it will be fixed in the next release

Edit: actually mine was building cache in the DVR/streaming directory so maybe this is a separate issue

The channels cache issue has been fixed. It affected only Windows DVRs, and the files were in AppData/Local/Temp until a few days ago, and then in DVR/Streaming since then. All old files can be deleted after updating to the latest build.

Please group by type of channel (ie news sports) not by Network blocks.

Do you anticipate any way to rearrange channels in the future? I know everyone likes them a different way. I've gotten used to alphabetical from other streaming apps.Not sure if that's something that could be done but it would be pretty cool. Love the work you put into this app!

2 Likes

Wow, who knew?

Currently the FAQ says this feature isnt available on a DVR server running on a Shield. Is there a hardware limitation with the Shield or might it be supported at a later time? My setup has been rock solid, but would consider switching to a windows machine if the shield isnt in the gameplan. Very excited to try out this feature at some point!!

1 Like

I never realized that you could order the favorites. I guess I can add everything over to favorites and go about doing it that way. Does that sync over all devices? I have way too many to want to do that for every device.

It likely depends on which hardware transcoder you are using as well. My "golden path" for reliable remote playback of recordings is to use the macOS-specific VideoToolbox hardware transcoder, which in turn uses the Intel QuickSync encoding of the Haswell CPU in my Mac Mini. But other operating systems, drivers, and underlying transcoding hardware might have different results.

1 Like

Hope I'm in the correct place. Having issues installing this beta on unraid. I have version 2019.04.22.2317 running, but do not have TVE option when selecting the gear. I'm thinking I don't have the beta installed, though I did select fancybits/channels-dvr:tve in the setup.

ChannelsDocker

Any Ideas what I've done wrong?

Thanks!