TV Everywhere Experiences (Internal Beta)

Just installed. So far so good. Very nice implementation.

Out of curiosity, if you can talk about it, how are you planning on handling website changes by the providers? Reminds me of the old Plex Plug-ins. If Netflix changed their site the plugin stopped working.

I don't think it is quite that simple. You can have two of the same network, one on cable one on TVE, that show same shows but at different times (different time zones). Channels will record the first one it sees, which could be on TVE, regardless of priority (at least, that is what I am seeing). I guess it really does come down to, if data is an issue, TVE may not be the right choice.

I have channels that are on Western and Eastern time zones on TVE ... if you are concerned disable the one in the Eastern Time Zone.... using the DVR settings web page. I do agree though that it works best if you have unlimited data.

What kind of data limits do you have?

We could add a setting to limit bitrates, so you would get a lower quality stream but it would use much less bandwidth.

1TB/month. But my current usage is roughly 900GB/month. I am not sure Channels needs to 'worry' about this. As mentioned, if data is an issue TVE might not be the right choice. But I do think a data counter, if possible, would be useful.

Wait how did you get Philo to work? It isn’t listed under the sources on the Channels setting page!

It's near the top of the list, not in alphabetical order.

Upgrading to the latest beta provided the choice.
I'm using 2019.06.16.1955

This sounds like a cool feature. I might sign up for a month to give this a shake after it gets a little more testing and bugs worked out.

Can you use multiple TVE providers at the same time?

I didn’t realize that I had to manually force update each time, I thought it would update automatically after the first force update! Thanks for the tip. Philo appeared!

1 Like

YES. I use DTVN and PS VUE and my HDHiomerun OTA as well.

I've noticed Windows 10 has a hard time reading TVE recordings. Anytime I open the TV folder in File Explorer it takes a long time to open the file list. When it finally opens the recording duration always shows 00:00:00. But it shows correctly in the Channels app. Is this normal? I don't have this issue when recording OTA Broadcasts from the HDhomerun.

Probably been asked already, but can I default recording to tv everywhere instead of OTA?
Edit. I see locals aren't supported. Wonder why. Tv everywhere works for NBC, CBS and Fox in my area.

Anyone else missing CNN, CNNi & HLN on the 6/17 release?

This is a bug that we are looking into.

Is it your local affiliate that the stream comes from? Or is it a live feed from a national source?

I'm just curious how that works. I don't have a subscriptions that has locals.

It's a live stream from a local affiliate

There are only 6-8 major cities in the USA where you can stream your local affiliates online. If you're in one of these areas you're very lucky, but most of us are not. That's why we're focusing on cable channels for the TVE feature, since the best way to get local channels for most of America is via a HDHomeRun.

When Viewing a TVE from the guide when I back out of the Show it brings me back up to the beginning of the guide ... I would like to just go back to the point of the channel I was watching. I have to scroll back down hundreds of channels just to get to back where I was.

This is definitely annoying if you accidentally hit the back button.