TVE missing main channels like ABC CBS NBC Fox

I logged into my parents ATT TV and my sisters Dish but TVE didnt pull up any of the main Broadcast channels. I am sure this isn't the first time so someone point me to a thread please and thank you.

Ok didn't find the answer in there any help I guess with more direction

Perhaps if you have more details beyond "doesn't work"?

• What have you done so far for troubleshooting?
  • Are you able to use your credentials to watch live at each of the networks' websites?
  • Have you enabled the option to use local networks via TVE?
  • Restarted the server?

Deleted providers added back
Rebooted
Rescan channels 3times
Updated to prerelease version

Yes they work via app when I login
What option for local networks ?

Update to prerelease.

Not the app, the website. The apps use different sources for the streams; Channels uses the website, so you need to verify that way.

In the DVR web UI at the bottom is an Experimental section. You need to enable the Local Networks via TV Everywhere option.

(As an aside: @tmm1, it looks like file uploads for images aren't working after the Discourse update.)

Ive done this, now removing both sourcing rebooting and readding sources to see if they add

@racameron yes I verified and I have checked that box as well.

Message in a few for updates

Since DVR updates are frequent, as I write this the current pre-release version is 2021.10.03.1816.

Dvr server page says waiting on NTP time sync since I rebooted 20 min ago @tmm1 @racameron

Is it plugged into the network? Using any dns Adblock?

Image uploads are fixed.

1 Like

ethernet plugged in and no adblocks, i restarted it and now it says Error during authentication

Maybe you can find a different way to get the main free broadcast channels. They are each, in fact, broadcasting radio signals using power close to 50 kW. It might sound crazy, but there is a chance you can find a way to capture these electromagnetic waves. It would not require subscribing to anything or using someone else's cable/satellite account subscriptions. If you live in a populated area, you might as well give it a try.

This is from 2016, I gather. I have that box checked in the Experimental area. Is that all that needs to be done? Or, do I have to add another "Source" to the application? I currently have DirecTV satellite and am using TV Everywhere with that account. I receive quite a few of the channels but ABC and CBS are NOT included(!) in TV Everywhere but are included in the same account using DirecTV satellite. Not sure why.

Any suggestions? Thanks! With the demise of Locast, my locals stations (ABC & CBS) are both on high-VHF (7 & 9) and these are unobtainable for a number of antenna limitation reasons.

Yes.
Do you get any locals at all in Channels DVR?

Make sure you're using the latest pre-release version of Channels DVR ( >= v2021.10.01.0607 ).
Best thing to try is use a web browser on the same local network your server is on, go to each of the live websites for ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS and see if you can login and stream using your DirecTV credentials. If you can, that shows TVE login is supported for that network and your provider (DirecTV), so should work in Channels DVR.

If it works at the live website for the network, but not in Channels DVR, submit diagnostics from the DVR web UI and post that you can login and watch at the website, but Channels doesn't add the channel.

Here are the forum threads for those networks to post in.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! As I mentioned, I am unable to obtain ABC and CBS on the TV Everywhere source using my DirecTV account. The same is true when I logged into the ABC and CBS sites directly and used the DirecTV credentials - no difference. The CBS websites said, "Your TV provider is no yet supported in your location." ABC was more abrupt saying the video was not supported (after trying 2 different browsers).

So, that answers that. No problem with ChannelsDVR. ABC and CBS simply are not available to me, at this location, using my DirecTV credentials. Now, why that is the case, I do now know but I can speculate it has something to do with licensing and all that.

My next plan is to continue with the OTA approach. At present, I have an HDHomeRun as a source and after many antenna attempts, I have one that is very capable for the UHF stations locally AND in Baltimore. Nothing, it seems, is able to received 7 & 9 (actual RF channels) on high-VHF, even with an antenna specifically designed for high-VHF. It has to do with a condo, a balcony, HOA restrictions, and being on the North side of the building when the transmitters are to the South.

So far, with the approach, I am able to receive all the channels except CBS. For that, I do not (yet) have a solution. I have another very beefy antenna coming. That will be the final test. I have a call into my HOA to address this problem that all the residents experience and maybe we can do a central-antenna system like apartments used to have before the days of cable TV. We have some options, and I am working on them.

Thanks for the help!

That would be awesome if you can convince the HOA to mount an antenna on the roof! Maybe you don't even have to pay for it if you can get the other residents to get on-board with free TV!
I live in Baltimore and was able to pick up VHF stations 7 and 9 (plus all the other DC stations) from here with a yagi antenna on the roof. I also have a second antenna pointed at the Baltimore towers. So a roof antenna will probably do it.
You might lose db though if the antenna is going to be split to all the residences in the condo. I've not tried anything like that before, but maybe it can be amplified a bit before it does all that signal splitting.

Thanks, Dave! I am going to try one more antenna that is very directional to see if that solves the problem. I also will speak with the HOA. I have a friend who is broadcast engineer who works for one of the stations. He's helping me with the technical details. The obvious solution to us all is a rooftop directional. He recall the "central antenna" system he worked on years ago at a DC hotel. There were splitters, amplifiers, and such. Of course, we could just feed it to one or more HDHomeRun or Tablo units and allow the distribution to be over a node on LAN. There are a few ideas.

All this hoopla because Locast got shot down! Drives me crazy.

1 Like