TVE on ARM-based NAS

Hi - I just started using my rpi4 as my server and saw a new server version came out today. I thought I'd give TVE a try w/ my Verizon acct, but when I go to add the TVE source, I get the following error " The TVE feature is not currently available on DVRs with ARM CPUs".

Note that I did run the "sudo apt-get install chromium" command ahead of time but no luck. Do I need to restart the rpi4 or something? Some other way to debug if chromium is setup correctly?

Huh it should work on the Pi.

Can you copy/paste the OS/CPU section?

Sure.

OS

Linux Raspbian
10.1 (kernel: 4.19.75-v7l+)

CPU

4 cores / ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)

What about:

chromium --version

I get "chromium: command not found". Very weird. I then tried the "sudo apt-get install chromium" command again and I see the following error:

Err:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster/main armhf libxdamage1 armhf 1:1.1.4-3
404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/pool/main/libx/libxdamage/libxdamage1_1.1.4-3_armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Try apt-get update first

Perfect - that did the trick. I did the update first, and then the install command. All set (and I'm able to use TVE now)! Probably worthwhile though to update the instructions on the site below as those are the exact steps I followed:

Version

Check For Update

Uptime

10 hours
Started Yesterday at 8:05 PM

Timezone

CST

OS

Synology DS216play
Linux
(kernel: 3.10.105)

CPU

2 cores / ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)

load averages: 5.66 4.77 4.49

RAM

658.13 MB
46.8% free

It might make sense to insert a check for the installation status of chromium in the DVR code somewhere and flag an issue somewhere on the status page. This seems to be a recurring issue with DVR/TVE that causes a great deal of wasted support time.

so, it should work on a Pi Model 3 B+ as well then, I assume (also 64 bit ARM v8).

Yes it should

Most distros for the Pi are not using 64bit binaries. However, most do have builds of Chromium for armv7l in their repositories.

Right, I am aware. @tmm1 made the comment somewhere else though that only 64 bit ARM was supported for TVE (no 32 bit ARM in some NAS devices, like my old QNAP TS-212P). That is what I was getting at. I would have liked to have set it up on my QNAP, but since that apparently won't work, I have a Pi 3 B+ that I could set up as the server, and maybe just mount the storage from the NAS as a network share. It also is probably a better idea because the Marvell 6282 ARM processor in the NAS has no graphics coprocessors at all where the PI does and maybe some limited hardware based transcoding might be possible.

Just wanting to make sure if there is something i can do to make TV Everywhere work on my Android box. Locast works perfectly.:

Version: 2020.01.09.0819

android
(kernel: 4.9.118)

CPU:
3 cores / ARMv8 Processor rev 4 (v8l)

load averages: 2.71 2.23 1.89

RAM:

3.73 GB
81.6% free

Edit: According to my product description, it it should be 64 bit.

"Android 9.0 OS,Allwinner H6 Quad Core 64bits Quad-Core Cortex-A53 CPU with Mali-T720 GPU"

With the v2020.06.16.1927 release, TVE should now work on Android devices including the MyCloud Home.

2 Likes

I'm looking into some possible improvements to support TVE on more ARM devices. If you are interested in testing out the latest pre-release, please let me know.

1 Like

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a Netgear readynas 102 that I'm willing to experiment with if that's a model that could possibly work. @tmm1

I’m sorry, I’ve upgraded my NAS and the new one has an Intel CPU.

@bshop2 No problem. The upgraded NAS with Intel CPU will perform better than any ARM-based NAS.

@swope1221 If you'd like to try, click-and-hold on the Check for Updates button on the DVR web UI and then try adding a TVE source.

Hi @tmm1 . I tried as you said and here's what I got. Locast was no problem, however TV Everywhere has an issue. I'll attach a couple of screenshots so you can see if any of it is a help to you (or me).
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.40.51 PM