TWiT.tv livestream and XMLTV guide data

Yes. because the metadata and artwork you will edit go on the show level, not episode level.

1 Like

Gotcha, that makes since. Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t mean to derail this thread, but can someone point me to a good source to learn/teach myself some of the terminology in installing some of what is referenced in this thread? For example, the iCal to XMLTV Converter at GitHub lists two steps in the “Using via docker” instructions. I’ve had Docker running on my Synology (to use for Homebridge) for a few years, and believe I’ve just successfully updated to the latest Docker Compose by messing around with instructions online, but the second instruction (telling to “CD to app source directory” and run a command) is beyond me. I know generally how to CD, but I’m not even sure what the "app source directory" is, if I’m supposed to have installed the Converter files somewhere first, etc., or what terms to use to do a Google search to figure this out on my own.

I apologize in advance if this comes across as naive and generates eye rolls from those for whom this is old hat, and I’m not even sure when I’ll have time to fully dig into this, but I’d love some day to have some basic ability to follow this.

git clone https://github.com/tmm1/ical-to-xmltv
cd ical-to-xmltv
1 Like

@Fofer have you been having to update the YouTube url for the twit stream? I have had to do it twice in the last week or two. I guess they keep doing new streams every week now it seems. I wonder if there is a script or something we could run in docker to automatically update the url.

I haven't had to change videoID because I don't use videoID in the URL for this particular livestream... instead I use @twit (the channel name.) Pretty sure this worked when I used hlstube and certainly works now with the Kister Method. Here's how that is formatted, been working for many months now for me with TWiT specifically, no docker required:

https://kister.net/mpl/yt2m3u8?v=@twit

1 Like

Gotcha. I didn’t even know that was feature. I will try that! Thanks!

Yes it works, at least with YouTube channels that have a livestream going. And if it has multiple livestreams, then the Kister Method defaults to the first one.

Here's a thread with more YT livestreams. This is fun stuff :slight_smile:

Had the same problem with TWiT yesterday since I always use the videoID with the kister method. I never understood the advantage to using the @(channel name) method until now.

Any chance there is a step by step for dummies (myself) to get the TWIT stream working in Channels?

First just add it as a Custom Channel, here is the m3u: https://kister.net/mpl/yt2m3u8?v=@twit

Then if you want guide data too, it’s a bit more advanced but manageable via docker and portainer. Do you have any experience with those?

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I will add the custom channel. I do not have experience with either. My Channels is also on an M1 Mac if that makes any difference to adding the guide data.

OK yeah, start with this. This will start the channels you add via the Kister Method at channel 60000. You can obviously start at other numbers, just change the URL:

That worked for the live channel, thank you @Fofer I put it at channel 1.1 so it shows first in the guide.

OK great!

Now if you want the guide to reflect the recurring TWiT schedule, follow the instructions here:

Download the files, and use Terminal.app to enter the commands listed.
Running this docker container will result in a new file created: ical-to-xmltv/data/basic.xml
The full directory is what you will enter in the Custom Channel page for XMLTV Guide Data.
Mine looks like this: /Volumes/External HDD/Channels DVR/ical-to-xmltv/data/basic.xml

@tmm1 is there any way that you could put this up on docker hub so we can just pull it in from there?

Does everyone need to have their own docker running to generate the calendar feed/program guide data? Couldn't it just be run by once instance and hosted externally for everyone to pull from?

Yes.

Yes, that’s essentially what @HankLloydRight shares so graciously via nocords.xyz for Pluto and Stirr. I requested privately to see if he could add TWiT to that mix too awhile back but it didn’t work out. But maybe someone else with a similar server setup wants to take a stab at it?

I apologize in advance if this is beyond the scope of this thread... I've got the docker running on a Raspberry PI and it's generating the basic.xml file in its data directory. What's the best way to then get this in Channels?

As we're 75 miles from the tower, I also use the PBS docker on the same Pi. It's got a built-in http port where Channels can grab its info. Is it possible to do the same thing for the TWiT guide data file?

That’s not necessary, just link directly to the XML file that is generated, via its full pathname. Here’s mine, kinda. You get the gist:

1 Like