Warning - Synology DSM7

Help! I have installed DSM7 and am trying to restore Channels, but I do not see a user named channels. Are you suggesting to create one, or should it already be there? And if we must create one, how/where?

I figured it out. For those who might have trouble, here are instructions:

1. Go to Control Panel > Shared Folder
  2. Select the folder where your previous Channels installation stored video
  3. Click Edit
  4. Click Permissions
  5. From the drop-down, select System internal user
  6. Locate "channels" in the list, and check the Read/Write checkbox.
  7. Click Save
7 Likes

Has anyone had any luck deleting the ChannelsDVR share? @ahintz? @Macnbaish?

I still haven’t tried myself, life has been hectic and with the issues the other user had I am hesitant to mess with it…

I'm still running all mine in Docker Containers.

The shared folder cannot be removed without modifying the Channels DVR Synology package.

According to the Synology DSM 7.0 3rd-Party Package Developer Guide
https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/developer#tool

Data Share lifecycle timing is FROM_ENABLE_TO_POSTUNINST
The Data Share (shared folder ChannelsDVR) specified in conf/resources
Will be created (if it doesn't exist) before the package starts for the first time and is maintained until after the package is uninstalled. The package manager will not delete the shared folder, since user data may exist there.

Also, since 7.0-41201, Synology package center will create a symlink under /var/packages/[package_id]/shares/ named by share folder pointing to share folder path. So also look for a symlink to the shared folder /volume1/ChannelsDVR

@tmm1 Is this something that can be modified in a future iteration of the spk?

Is there anything in this directory that takes up any real space? If not: Why worry about it?

It makes those of us with slight (or not so slight) OCD twitch. :rofl:

2 Likes

I'm pretty darn OCD. I probably wouldn't give it a second thought. Some things are worth being OC about. This isn't one of them, IMO.

Or just rename your existing share to ChannelsDVR and restart the package

1 Like

If you're OCD enough to try this...

I'm able to get it to install without creating the shared folder /volume1/ChannelsDVR.

If you edit the package (it's a tarball, 7-zip works)
and change the conf/resource file from

{
    "video-driver": {},
    "port-config": "ChannelsDVR.sc",
    "data-share": {
        "shares": [{
            "name": "ChannelsDVR",
            "permission": {
                "rw": ["channels"]
            },
            "once": true
        }]
    }
}

to

{
    "video-driver": {},
    "port-config": "ChannelsDVR.sc"
}

it will not create the shared folder./volume1/ChannelsDVR.

Update your current install to the latest pre-release version and make a database backup.
Uninstall your existing package.
Install the modified package and choose not to run on install.
Edit your existing shared folder you want to migrate from and give system internal user channels r/w access to it.
Start Channels DVR, update it to the latest pre-release and then restore, picking your existing share to restore from.

1 Like

Seems like a lot of effort for something that literally does not matter

1 Like

Good news - You don't have to do it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

For me personally, I don't want an extra unused share folder on my Synology. No, it doesn't "matter" but I still don't like it and would prefer to have the option to remove it.

1 Like

Yeah, it's a lot of effort to edit a file.
All the rest of the steps have to be done anyway if your were uninstalling the old package and installing the new package.
The only real extra effort was in me trying to figure this out on my own and writing it up to share.

Thanks for going through all of the effort to figure it out! I am going to play it safe and wait a week or so to see how it works out for you. Just in case your Synology starts smoking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Famous last words "What could possibly go wrong?" :laughing:

2 Likes

I wouldn't mind adopting the new data-share directory. Is there a step-by-step for moving the data from the current location to this new spot?

Did this not work for you?

I just thought perhaps there was something easier for just changing the path of an existing installation.

I think if you just uncheck them checkbox next to the path you can browse to a new one. So you’d have to manually copy the data over to the new folder, but then it should just work I would expect.