"Watch from beginning" and "resume" options for recordings

Not a major thing, but DVRs I’ve had in the past have all offered this. When you’ve partially watched a recording and then come back to it later, it would be nice if you can choose to resume where you left off or start over from the beginning.

1 Like

Defaults to “continue”.

If you want to watch from beginning, change status to mark as watched/mark watched. Then choose “Watch”.

That does make sense, considering how the DVR keeps track of stuff you’ve watched in order to present you with what’s “up next”. Adding the option I was looking for would be redundant then.

Yeah, keeping track of watch state was a #1 feature since we expect things to be watched all over the house on different clients. And even if it’s just ONE TV, no one wants to figure out where they left off!

We just decided to skip a prompt for asking if you want to resume or start over because we figured 9 times out of 10, you’ll always want to resume. That way you’re not annoyed EVERY TIME you start something that was already in progress.

We’re def open for feedback and use cases in which anyone finds this incorrect though!

Any thoughts on implementing user profiles?

Thoughts, but no plans.

I personally like the watch from the beginning or resume prompt. Netflix has this feature and one click has never bothered me. Just my 2 cents, doesn’t bother me either way.

2 Likes

In my opinion, fewer clicks makes for a better the user experience and I agree with the developer on his take.

Adding my vote for beginng or resume.

1 Like

Maybe another instance where a long press would Be best to give the option of resume/start over. Since it’s the new default for live grid decisions it would be a uniform UI element for extra options.

If you want this feature please elaborate on your use-case. When and how often do you want to watch from the beginning instead of where you left off?

The easiest way to do this at the moment is to click into the episode, hit Mark Watched and then play it.

Mainly for multiple family member who watch the show it different times. If/when user profiles are implemented I won’t have any need for this feature, mainly just making a suggestion of how best to implement it if needed.

I wanted to bump this topic by linking to a new (more specific) feature request along with the specific use case:

1 Like