Wondering about a non-beta release

i was under the impression that channels was just about to publish a non-beta update but that was a month ago. i guess i misunderstood.

Apparently, the app update in the stores is a bigger problem than we hoped. Oh well, I can use the beta version in most of my devices. It does bother me that the released version is not acceptable for google or Amazon.

It has been a month and a half, and nothing new about the release. Seems like we have been left in the dark. Could we get an update to your plans for the new release?

Hey guys, there's a serious issue with our developer account in the Play store. On Monday, I'm going to dig in to figure out what's going on. Unfortunately this stuff is completely opaque with absolutely no one you can reach out to.

As for the Fire TV version, the same thing is happening there. They rejected our last release, we responded, and got nothing back.

Unfortunately, these gated platforms are essentially run by robots and give the actual developers that power their platforms zero ways to resolve anything.

Sorry this has taken so long.

2 Likes

I was told by a developer who makes a Chrome browser extension i use that Google fired all their human staff that review apps, and its all AI now that reviews and approves app submissions and updates.
Not sure if that is true, or if Chrome web store updates/approval has anything to do with the Android app store process. but...just food for thought.

We've released a new beta with major infra backend changes that need some testing. If anyone can put this through their paces, the faster we can verify that everything is A-OK, the faster we can attempt to get a new version through the Play store.

Thanks!

1 Like

Version 4.10.0 of both apps are now available on the Google Play store.

Channels for HDHomeRun version 4.10.0 is available on the Amazon App Store, but they are holding Channels: Whole Home DVR. We are currently trying to work with them, but it's not very easy.

1 Like

I thought this included the experimental guide? Where is it?

It is not experimental anymore. It is now the standard guide. Is it not working for you?

Just a question on this, I stay on the current "stable release" always, this is for onn firesticks.
What the difference between that and the "Releases" being talked about here?
And how would i install the new 4.10 release etc.
Thanks for any clarification

Paging is still not working properly for me. My understanding from the other thread was that the experimental guide had fixed that. Updated to 4.10.0 on my Shield TV Pro, paging down still jumps forward in the timeline in the guide. Page up seems to work fine, but page down is unusable because of how the guide jumps to the right.

Hey man, I just appreciate the communication.
Thank you.

Testing out the new version now.

same here on my streamer4k, also app crash with multiple PGDN's

I normally don't use Google TV, but testing on my Sony Google TV the guide seems to work the same as the beta experimental guide. I don't notice any paging problem. I can test on my Shield tomorrow, but not sure I can do a page up or down with the standard remote.

Although the guide does still have some intermittent bugs. The guide is much better, but I think the developers have struggled with the guide on Android. I use the On Later and Search to limit my need for the guide.

1 Like

The Walmart ONN stick devices use the Google Play Store. It has the new app version and I believe it should automatically update your device. The Amazon Firestick devices use the Amazon App Store and it does not have the new version yet.

If the Amazon App Store continues to be difficult, would it not be worth allowing the APK to be downloaded & installed directly i.e. with a Downloader code?

OK, I was able to duplicate the page down problem. But if I always highlighted the selection on the far left, the page down worked fairly consistently no matter what time it was. I did crash the app occasionally when testing this out.

I'll answer my own question (in case anyone else needs it) since the devs just don't seem to respond any more :expressionless:

You know, there are three of them, right? Supporting however many users use this product.

They support so many platforms, and there are three of them. Please, just understand that there are three of them. :slightly_smiling_face:

It's also a paid product, and we are therefore customers, sometimes in need of support. Yet these forums are predominantly users talking to other users, or worse, threads with no replies at all and auto-closed by the system - which means a full month has passed with no reply.

A quick look at the front page of the community will tell you that the categories have at most 8 posts a week - most have less than 3 posts a week.

I acknowledge that the lack of updates on FireTV for example are down to Amazon putting restrictions on the store, but we are now over a year since a release (4.9.4 was released August 2025).

Like you, I've been a paid user since 2023 - and the Android/Fire app still has some of the same issues it has had since then (for me, Picture in Picture is still the most frustrating).

Anyway, I don't want this to be entirely negative. In the spirit of the community I wanted to ensure that my question was answered, and since I found the answer, returned to do so in case it helped another user. We all obviously think it's worth what we pay (else we would cancel), but I do expect better, I don't think that's unreasonable and have seen similar sentiment from other users on here.

1 Like