YouTube TV: Cable provider authentication failed

Guess I read that wrong. Nope, on Unraid...

I am now dead in the water and cannot use YTTV with channels anymore. Can we get some changes in the app and how it authenticates so that this will work again?

Can you provide specifics. What version of CHannels you are on, what is your platform, what you have done to troubleshoot it, submit logs.etc...

Sure.

Mac OSX 13.5.1
Mac Mini M2

I have tried making sure my chrome is updated, turned off MFA on my google account. Invited another account that I use to the family and tried it. I get a variety of CAPTCHA which is never entered or the generic "browser of app may not be secure" error.

Have we figured out a way around this yet? It would be nice if we could interact with the login so we could put in the CAPTCHA...etc...

Logs are e8140c62-bffe-404f-b103-27b0e09d20fe

May not fix it, but the devs will ask you to do it anyway.
Try after updating to the latest pre release Pre-Release access for DVR subscribers version of Channels DVR.

1 Like

That worked. I am scanning now. Had to answer some notifications saying the logons were me and I am in. Thanks!

Great that updating pre-release fixed issue on Mac Mini. Not sure if there is any hope for Synology NAS users? Still getting the Cable Provider Authentication Failed.

More logs submitted as d7e41c64-6ac6-4efb-9bc8-c3596746e7b0

Also, I never got chance to learn how to setup a Docker on my NAS and install that version of Channels. If someone has solid instructions, I can try it out but when I searched around there seemed to be a lot of tweaking to get it setup.

Have you tried the non-docker Channels? I've been using Channels installed from the Synology Package Center without issue. I have YouTubeTV.

I run Channels DVR on a RPi. Have used YouTube TV via TVE for over a year and slowly had issues with one channel after another not working. A few days ago I stupidly deleted the source and tried to reload it. It won't load saying my browser is not secure. Contacted Channels help and eventually was told it is a YouTube TV issue that they could do nothong about. I am able to log into individual apps (Fox Sports, ESPN, CNN, etc), so it's not a user/password issue.

I do have another TVE account through Optimum that works fine (but not a lot of channel content). I also have an OTA antenna setup with a HomerunHD, so I get all the basic channels.

Bottom line is not to waste your time trying to get YouTube TV via TVE, at least on a Raspberry Pi, if it's not working for you.

1 Like

That is what I am using now on my Synology NAS. Stopped working a few weeks ago with that error about Cable provider authentication failure. I was going to try the docker version of Channels but just never got time to mess with the setup. Whole thing seems hit or miss as some stated they are fine on the Synology NAS using the Channels app.

I run non-docker Channels on Linux. I have been losing a few channels (NFL, FS1) lately which I can't reauthenicate ("browser or app may not be secure"). I tried different versions of Chrome/Chromium with no change.

I tried running the docker version on the same computer and I added YouTubeTV and all channels authenticated. So I guess I will be migrating to the docker version. What's the best way to do that?

But I still can't watch or record the NFL network. I get this error:

2023/09/03 04:09:41.584427 [DVR] Error running job 1693714161-ch6192 NFL Football: Failed to download segment 14: https://o300802-mp-lura-live.fsy.nfl.com/live/ephemeral/54AVmb0klx0KCyCYkFbJwmEle6YKX2NE/nfln-la3/5096k/VaaNjYGeq9Y/173685/segment_173685410.ts?token=1693717747_eb717abcbea10cdceffab76cce6f977b1fb789f6: Get "skd://3784bf0b7307ebaf9363ec0fded91744": unsupported protocol scheme "skd"

I'm on the latest pre-release.

I got my current setup migrated to Docker now. NFL Network still getting that error.

Did you submit diagnostics for that?
Using Xfinity I can auth and stream at the nfl live site, but Channels errors out on channel 6192 with no stream available. [HLS] Couldn't generate stream playlist for ch6192-dANY-ip172.18.0.1: Stream stopped
Getting an unsupported encryption method error when trying to record. Created a topic and submitted diags here NFL Network Stream not found & unsupported encryption method

Any solution to this, I've disabled 2FA

You might want to state what "this" is.
Are you unable to add YTTV to Channels, or are specific channels failing to auth or stream, or ...

I am unable to add YTTV as a source for my DVR on RbPi

1 Like

Having the same issue here as well, unlinked my YTTV account and getting the dreaded "This browser or app may not be secure" message. I've connected to channels web interface using https, don't have ANY 2FA on my google account, and just updated to the latest pre-release version of channels. Anything that we can do? Willing to try anything at this point.

Probably won’t work but this is what I’d try; change your password with ytttv then use your cell phone data for a hotspot and attach your server, reboot the server, scan tve with updated password, switch back to home internet.

1 Like

I just signed up for YouTube TV and had zero issues adding it as a source. I have the server installed on a Mac Mini 2 and set it up on my iPhone. I have 2FA turned on and when I plugged in my credentials the first time it failed. I did it again and opened the YouTube app on my iPhone to authenticate the sign in as soon as I put my credentials into Channels again. It allowed me to approve the sign in within the YouTube app and started scanning my channels.

I hope this helps!