Check for FOX 4K Stream when recording an OTA broadcast?

If I'm remembering correctly Channels wasn't able to get FOX broadcasts that stream in 4K integrated into Channels the same way that the FS1 broadcasts do. I believe there is info on those efforts in this thread...

I think it was working with the EPlustv docker container (I could be mis-remembering) if you enable foxsports authorization. More info here...

I've enabled TVE for broadcast networks and I now have a 6000 channel for Fox that only lists the sporting events, which is exactly what I want :slight_smile: When I stream the channel during "Sign off", a stream comes up that says something like "this is only for sporting events check back later", which I'd expect.

However, during the actual events, I receive an error that the stream cannot be accessed. It's only happened in the overnights. Next time it happens, I'll grab the error and submit logs.

Fox is channel 6002.
Update your DVR to latest pre-release DVR Pre-Release Notes - Beta Community / DVR Beta - Channels Community

6 posts were split to a new topic: Fox TVE 6002 not working

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fox TVE 6002 not working

Running latest pre release. Getting a 404 error. Affiliate is WVUE.

1 Like

Mine was working yesterday, today I'm also getting a 404. Fickle Fox.

Are you seeing the same thing I am when authenticating on their website?

Yes. And just like you, it's only 6002 / Fox network. No issues with FS1/FS2.

So my local Fox (WOFL) is kind of weird too, the world cup records in 720p but the length of the broadcast is shown as anywhere from 45 to 50 minutes. When you play it back it actually plays the full length (it goes past the end of the timeline bar), but running fix timestamps does not correct the length. This is the only Fox broadcast that I can recall that has an invalid length.

I also do not get 4K on this and I do have it checked, this is via TVE. Channel 6002.

Same here. FS1 is badass no issues at all and gets 4K if it's broadcast in 4K. Would love the same with Fox

Enable the Experimental TV Everywhere MPEG-TS Rewriter option

Trying to get the topic back on track

The way Channels DVR decides which channel to record from is based on a number of factors that have been endlessly talked about on the forum. As far as I know, it doesn't differentiate between UHD (4k) and HD. It might for a 4k HDHR tuner, but not sure. Since Fox and Fox Sports don't have dedicated 4k TVE channels (just certain events on the channels), Channels DVR doesn't use the fact an event is HD or UHD and instead goes by the TVE channel and assumes it's HD (like SD vs HD).

Also for those posting that don't know, read this Topic Fox @ 4k HDR Local Fox TVE in 4k starts here Fox @ 4k HDR - #231 by tmm1 . Fox TVE does have "some events" streamed in 4k, the next being FIFA Women's World Cup-France vs Brazil this Saturday morning.

This is all correct. Not only does Channels not prioritize UHD over HD, it doesn’t even matter because none of these channels are tagged as UHD. We have no idea that they are.

For instance: FIOS has UHD channels that FOX uses. The HDHR Prime uses this channel wonderfully. But it’s not tagged as a UHD channel.

In the case of TVE Fox, it’s certainly not, especially since 1% of its broadcasts are streamed across as UHD.

So the explanation is, Channels doesn’t even know. So it can’t pick correctly.

The solution is, schedule a recording manually of the airing on the channel you want, and Channels will record that. That’s how I recorded the USA vs Netherlands match last night.

So how did you set up your manual recording to get the broadcast in 4K?

Found it in the guide and told it to record.

GTFan, it sounds like maddox has an HDHR Prime, which is essentially an HDHR for cable instead of OTA. So if you have a provider like FiOS, they have dedicated 4K channels, which he can place in the guide. Then, he can force Channels to record the 4K from that dedicated 4K channel.

Which is unlike you and me, where we have a TVE Fox channel, and have to depend on TVE working exactly right (which Fox doesn't make easy) and Channels built-in logic to prefer the 4K/HDR stream, if you have that toggle enabled.

Thanks to chDVRuser and maddox .. I think the answer to my original question is No, if you request a recording from an OTA broadcast, that's what will record. If you want to pull in a 4K/HDR stream, it requires TVE, TVE for local networks, that network enabled in your area, and the toggle on for 4K/HDR (thanks to jaidenc for suggesting that much earlier in this thread). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also an idiot, I have watched the 4K streams plenty through the Fox Sports app, it never occurred to me that was enabled because of TVE. And so, I never thought of enabling TVE for local networks in Channels, because I'm not in an area with O&O affiliates (which I wrongly thought were the only affiliates offering TVE locally).

Yeah that's the problem, I have all the toggles enabled but when I record the world cup it's in 720p on Fox. And I think it's because it doesn't work over TVE unless you use the E+ container which I don't really want to fool with right now..

TV Everywhere is not the same as ESPN+.

Make sure your recordings start a few mins late.