DVR: Improved Library Search (v2021.08.01.1442)

We're working on a new search backend, which will eventually also power smart rules for collections and virtual channels in PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

For now the new backend powers the library search on the web UI. Give it a try and report your results below.

You can try searches like "will smith" or "animated comedy" or "space movies"

7 Likes

Looking forward to better searches!

A couple issues I noticed.

I'm seeing less info for imported movies on v2021.08.01.1442
UPDATE: Forget that. One with more info was matched with TMDB

Also can't get details on show episodes or movies with the new v2021.08.01.1442
UPDATE: Never mind. Not my day! Doubled up read-only mount paths from container.

1 Like

Found it works much better if I match all my imported movies using TMDB instead of Gracenote.
Able to search on more cast and directors too.
Now if we could only get better matching for shows.

2 Likes

Works great.

Does the Movie import default to TMDB? If not is there a way to make it default?

Thanks

I believe so.

Liking it!
I found you can also search for Genres, SeriesID and ProgramID

Interesting and powerful stuff. I'm looking forward to this developing. One thing I tried that is interesting: I searched for the name "Sayid" and it returned a list of episodes from the series "Lost". I assume the episodes in the list all feature the character "Sayid" -- the few I checked did. The thing is the name does not show up in the title or description. Is Channels indexing data that is not visible in the interface?

The data could be coming from either the longer description or the list of cast/roles. The data is given by Gracenote, but is not always shown in Channels' UI. Also, some clients/interfaces show different data (Apple clients tend to display the longer full description, while Android clients have been showing the 100 character description).

Very nice. Huge improvement.

1 Like

The content picker used for Collections and Virtual Channels now uses the new improved search.

Noticing some differences depending on if your movies are matched with Gracenote or TMDB.

For instance, the movie Ice Age: Collision Course (2016)

Shows up in a search for space movies if it was matched by Gracenote, but not by TMDB.

Searching for characters in the movie
Diego - TMDB
Manny - GRACENOTE & TMDB
Peaches - GRACENOTE
Scrat - GRACENOTE
Sid - GRACENOTE & TMDB

I definitely prefer the TMDB metadata and wonder what metadata is being indexed for the new search that would result in this.

Here's what displays for the movie

Matched by Gracenote
Released: 2016-07-15
The herd leaves home after Scrat's adventure in outer space sends an asteroid hurtling toward Earth.

Matched by TMDB
Released: 2016-06-23
Set after the events of Continental Drift, Scrat's epic pursuit of his elusive acorn catapults him outside of Earth, where he accidentally sets off a series of cosmic events that transform and threaten the planet. To save themselves from peril, Manny, Sid, Diego, and the rest of the herd leave their home and embark on a quest full of thrills and spills, highs and lows, laughter and adventure while traveling to exotic new lands and encountering a host of colorful new characters.

Forgot to add.
The following Cast are only found in search with matching done by TMDB
Queen Latifah
Jennifer Lopez
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just had a good laugh doing what the little girl asked.
Typed the following in search
What Movies do I have that Scrat's in?
NO REPLY
Movies that Scrat's in?
FOUND Ice Age: Collision Course (2016)

But it didn't find the other Ice Age movies I imported.

With the v2021.08.05.0107 build, you can now use structured queries to look up specific information. Here are some examples:

• Comedies but without kids and romance
    comedy movies genres!=[children, Romantic comedy]

• 90s movies
    releaseYear>=1990 releaseYear<2000

• 90s comedies without Jim Carrey
    releaseYear>=1990 releaseYear<2000 genres=Comedy cast!="Jim Carrey"

• Action or Comedy movies from the 2000s
    releaseYear>=2000 genres=[Action, Comedy]

• Multiple cast members together
    cast&=[John Candy, Mel Brooks]

• All series premiere episodes only
    seasonNumber=1 episodeNumber=1

• All favorited episodes and movies
    favorited=true

4 Likes

Very cool. Started to get some DVR crashes with this version while doing searches. I submitted the Logs….

e6c032dd-bfb8-4e86-9f88-645ef4e9fa2

Gross. What's the query that's causing the crash?

It seems to happen when I do a search like below when adding content to a Virtual Channel. If I do the search and then backspace and clear the search box it crashes. Hope that made sense.

releaseYear>=2010 releaseYear<2021

Thanks. The issue causing the crash is fixed.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Edit metadata on content?

Is there a reference library for all the tags. In particular Im looking for HDR and Audio codecs. Also Watched status

I don't think there's a reference library for all tags.
I put together a list awhile back here Keyword lists
Also see this thread List of Tags, Categories, Genres, etc
You can also see what tags are in your current guide data using this query
http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/guide/search/fields/Tags?q=
Just replace 127.0.0.1:8089 with your DVR's IP address and port

And this query will list the Genres in your current guide data
http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/guide/search/fields/Genres?q=

3 Likes