DVR server not working after Shield 9.0.0 update

You have a leading . that shouldn't be there for the package name: com.getchannels.dvr, not .com.getchannels.dvr.

2 Likes

Thanks, I corrected the path and it's still giving the error

Likely it also needs to be com not Com

Having same problem with permission to ssd. Followed thread but cannot get external drive to allow access.

Unfortunately we are stumped as to why it's working on some SHIELDs but others are having permissions issues.

It looks like Plex is also having similar problems with external drives, and is working with Nvidia to figure it out.

I have also escalated this permissions issue to Nvidia as well, to see if they have any more ideas for us to try. But we may just need to wait for SHIELD Experience 9.0.1

We're going to send out an email to all DVR users running on SHIELD to warn them not to update to 9.0 until we find a proper fix. Hopefully more/better news tomorrow.

Our official documented resolution to this issue can be found here:

Feel free to continue discussion on this topic though.

Typically for the apps to have full access to the drive the data needs to be in the /nvidia_shield like storage/242d-cc99/nvidia_shield/…. Try that file path

1 Like

That doesn’t work. It’s the entire external drive path that is denied. Only the internal and adopted storage is being allowed read/write access.

It’s something Nvidia or Channels DVR devs has to fix, because it is even affecting file managers. Those, even with the correct user-facing permissions, see no files in any external device directory without additional access given. FX, for example, has to mount my external drive separately (which involves invoking the native Files app to select the path) to even see the files on the external drive.

It might be because of how Android handles apps' access to storage in 11, such as defaulting to using scoped storage.

1 Like

As the OP, just a quick update here. After seeing a lot of comments on here this morning! (UK time here). My Shield had ejected the SSD overnight, so not sure if the that was related with the 9.0 update, but it reconnected fine after reboot so no further issues there hopefully.

Followed the guide posted by the Dev team for side loading Beta version (which was actually fairly straightforward), and eventually finding the right file path for the restore everything is back up and working again.

Big thanks and shout out to the Dev team as they are always great to respond. Also big shout out to the community on here. It's great to know you can go somewhere to always get help!

(Moral of the story - never click update on Shield straight away!:wink: )

4 Likes

Ok I sideloaded the Beta Version and with a few minor expectations its working. I understand this is apple first Software, but Android/Shield users also pay for it. My questions are why would the Beta work but there are issues getting the release to work? Do I need to somehow shut off updates for channels DVR or will it upgrade the beta version correctly?

If you want to have the beta auto-update, first uninstall the one installed from within the stable version. Go to the Play Store and opt in to the beta program in the apps description. Install the Play Store version (it will be the beta now), and ensure that auto-update apps is enabled in your Play Store settings.

The android DVR server app is nothing but a shell. It does not get updated on the Play Store when we deliver updates. It updates itself internally.

1 Like

Unfortunately, now that I think about it, I don't have this experience, if I don't click and hold update, it stays on the version it's on until I do. Ive forgotten for weeks and it will be an old version. Opt out of the beta perhaps?

So I'm also having issues now. The server will freeze up requiring a reboot, or be very slow and unresponsive requiring a reboot. I cleared the cache and data for the DVR server to start fresh with a restore and am also having the permissions issue.

I think I’m just going to wait for the updated version rather than start messing with sideloading Betas (even though it looks fairly easy). I know I’m an idiot for hitting the v9 update button so quickly but this is one of the many reasons I hate Android so much, there’s never an upgrade without a drama.
Luckily the Channels devs are so responsive so I don’t doubt it will be long before a fix is delivered.
I’m also becoming less enchanted with the Shield in general, doesn’t transcode certain media (VC-1) without stuttering on other decides in Plex and I’m convinced the AI upscaling introduces lip-sync problems. Is there a better back-end for hosting channels DVR as I can live with a fire stick for the front end.

Just wanted to say that I really love the level of support the Channels DVR team provides and this issue is a perfect example.

Really hope that NVIDIA can fix the issue since the Shield has been the most stable, lowest energy cost, and maintenance free platform for the Server. Platform support of the Shield is why I initially switched fully from Plex. In the meantime the communications to customers from your team has been phenomenal and I was able to stop the problematic update before it was installed today thanks to your email.

I’m sure the team is having a rough week because of this but just wanted to say the Channels team deserves major kudos for handling the situation so wonderfully. Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

To add to my previous post, it is only external storage that is affected, I can select and use my internal attached storage (500gb ssd, not the 16gb internal) just fine.

I'm having issues with other apps not being able to access storages when they were previously working. For instance I can't browse my internal storage with AndSMB, File Manager, or X-Plore

This seems to be something that changed with Android TV 11 and how it accesses the storage. Similar to the issue that popped up when going from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, when they started doing the emulated crap.

1 Like

You can read about the issues here:

The problem is affecting every app that tries to access storage on the shield 9.0. I'm not sure what we could have done differently. At this point we're waiting for nvidia to fix it. They released a 9.0+ hotfix but it doesn't fix the problem yet.

More links all talking about the same problem:

3 Likes

I went through the process to upgrade to the Beta versions , however as with others who are using external storage - the permissions issue will not let me proceed - so I am stuck at this point. Tried a lot of the suggestions - turning the allow option off for files and media and then turning it on, but it didn't help unfortunately.

Thanks to the developers here for all your efforts.