Fox @ 4k HDR

If they keep stereo only no not Worth, it for me. I didn't invest on a sound system to play stereo.

Agreed. But for some reason, Fox still claims they are sending 5.1 audio. To me, the PQ is much better than both ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0. Thats probably due to the HDR alone. In my area, the ATSC 3.0 stations in Baltimore have only 2 channel audio while the DC stations have multi-channel audio. So all of it is a trade off.

The only way I've been able to get 5.1 on Fox 4K is within the YoutubeTV app which requires their 4K package which is an extra $20(!!). It looks and sounds very good.

I signed up for a month to see how it is. I learned yesterday that ESPN 4K through the YoutubeTV app on Apple TV 4K is actually only 1080p. So, I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it.

I'll probably not keep it, but at least I'll enjoy the rest of the NFL postseason on FOX in 4K with 5.1. If they do their MLB games in 4K I might reconsider.

Their linear channels through providers have 5.1 audio. The issue is with the Fox and Fox Sports apps not having 5.1 audio despite Fox climbing they do.

1 Like

No transcoding here on ATSC 3.0 Channels, but dropping frames like they're going out of style. Disabling the Audio track eliminates the dropped frames, but then there's no sound...

This was reported and is being looked at ...
Channels DVR dropping frames on ATSC 3.0 - Channels Fire TV - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

I wasn't sure, saw posted from 2021 regarding this, so I thought it was forgotten.

1 Like

I agree, but I also invested in an expensive 4K video system, so I will take what I can get! If I have the choice between 4K HDR video with stereo audio or 720p/1080i/p with 5.1 audio, I would take the video improvement all day long!

1 Like

I agree. Give me the higher video quality. Audio is secondary!

I'd agree but it's just upconverted 1080p, which my TV does pretty well. Stereo to fake surround just isn't as good as real surround :rofl:

Yes. It's just upcovnerting 1080p. However, the content is also in HDR which makes it worth it.

I wasn’t getting HDR :man_shrugging:

Depends on your setup. My Marantz receiver falls back to Dolby Pro Logic and its pretty darn good. I am an audiophile so sound is as important to me as video. When I switched to channels from DTV one of the things I was not looking forward to was TVE in 2 channel audio. Is Dolby PL as good as true 5.1, no but it can be acceptable depending on your gear...

You won't get HDR on the Apple TV using the Fox apps. You will get HDR on other devices using the Fox apps. You can currently get HDR on FS1 using Channels DVR pre-release on Apple TV (and other platforms).

Good info, thanks!

If I’m not an audiophile, I at least play one on TV. I have good gear :stuck_out_tongue: The unconverted stuff just sounds… off.

You can get a good deal on the 4K package. It is unclear which accounts get the promotion, but when I was activating a new subscription last week, YouTubeTV offered the 4K add-on for $4.99 for 24 months. Under my other account, it was offered for $9.99.

Trying to watch the FS1 basketball game now via TVE. All I get is this stuck image. It's pulling the 4K feed and I'm using the Pixel 7 Pro.

1 Like

Same here. It triggers my Apple TV 4K to 4K HDR10 mode, but it just displays that static FS1 College Hoops screen.

Edit: Same on my Nvidia Shield Pro.

It is on now.