Fox @ 4k HDR

Thanks for the confirmation.
We're all hoping it works by February 12th :grin:

2 Likes

how did you get two recordings set up for the same event?

curl based manual recordings.

I’m going to try 2 recordings at the same time by a regular one time recording and the second by recording the following game with a 90 minute start early buffer. Obviously it will miss the first 30min of the game. Curious to see if the padded recording will pick up 4k and what happens at the end of the first game.

1 Like

As expected.
First 5 minute recording is all 1290x780p H.264 59.94fps
Second 5 minute recording is 3840x2160p HEVC HDR10 59.94fps (the game) and 1920x1080p 59.94fps (commercials)

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: AppleTV (non-4k) watching 4K/HDR FS1 TVE video is slow motion

Just thought of something.
Since the two recordings will overlap on the same channel, Channels DVR will use tuner sharing (it will share the first recording stream with the second recording) and you'll probably end up with two 720p recordings. :frowning_face:

Next test this Saturday, 1/28
Should it start on time, 60, 90, or 120 seconds late to catch the 4k stream?
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 18-43-42 Channels Schedule
I have it set to start 70 seconds late right now (4:01:10 PM EST).

and added another one on my second server w/TVE
I have that set to start 50 seconds late right now (4:00:50 PM EST).

My test failed. The padded one never started. When I looked at why, the padding I set up on it a couple days ago disappeared and was showing it was going to start recording without padding. I’ll have to try again next time and keep a look out for the tuner sharing possibility.

I can only think of two ways to record the game at different times.
1 using curl based manual recordings that don't overlap
2 using two dvr servers

I already did the first one.
Now doing the second one using 50 and 70 second late start padding.
If the 4k/HDR stream starts at 4:01:00 PM EST, the one w/70 seconds late start padding should get it at 4:01:10 PM EST.

Both recordings started out as HEVC 1920x1080p @ 59.95fps.
HEVC 4k didn't start until 4:06 PM EST.
Both recordings picked up the switch to 4k at 4:06 PM EST.

1 Like

So you were able to record in 4k? I recorded the Seton Hall game to see if I could in 4k. The screenshot looks like Channels says it’s 4k but VLC says it’s 1080p.

1 Like

Perhaps you checked during a commercial. The commercials are in 1080p.

1 Like

Oh damn I think you’re right. Thanks!

I went into the Channels settings on my CPU and set to apply 5 minutes padding before and 5 minutes padding after.

2 Likes

So a 50,60,or 70 padding all picked up 4k when it was broadcast 6min into the game. Just clarifying this your results?

The guide said it started at 4:00:00 PM EST.
My recordings started at 4:00:50 PM EST. and 4:01:10 PM EST.
From the beginning of both recordings, until 4:06 PM EST, they were HEVC 1920x1080p displaying

YOUR PROGRAM
IS STARTING SOON
PLEASE STAND BY

Then at 4:06 PM EST they changed to HEVC 4k and a couple seconds later the game coverage started.

So both of the recordings were HEVC H.265 (instead of normal H.264).

You want to start these a minute or more late, which means negative start (pre-) padding.

The first 6 minutes were HEVC 1920x1080p
Anything that just looks at the beginning (like mediainfo, vlc, etc.) will see that and report it's 1080p.

I see that for the first 6 minutes but after that the actual game itself is in 4k, with commercials being 1080. What’s the advantage to starting the recording a bit late if 5 minutes padding before and after still get the recording in 4k? I’m not trying to be snarky, genuinely asking

Because In all the past games, if you start the recording on time or early it would grab and record the 720p stream and not pickup the 4k. Maybe something changed with this game if you got 4k with no late start padding.

1 Like

It was mentioned a week ago in this thread that if you have the Fox Sports app, it shows the 4k/UHD stream starting 1 minute after the regular HD stream

Discussion started with this post Fox @ 4k - #149 by jgpeacock