Mac Mini DVR Server is down

What does your DNS settings show in the mini?
Screen Shot 2

MAC & IP address matches up in the apple settings and the router settings.

See the lack of DNS servers compared to my settings snap.
Screen Shot 3

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 11.44.07 AM

That is the router address.

I thought you were using ethernet only to troubleshoot. Looks like you're using WiFi only?

We have exhausted all things to do on the Mini unless you really want to dig deep in the weeds. But before we do that I really think as an experiment you should save off a config file of your router, do a factory reset and restart and then see if the DVR works. If it does then it was something amiss in the router. If it doesn't then you can restore that config file and be back to where you were.

Oh, I missed that. Please turn off the wifi, do not use both while we troubleshoot. Just use ethernet.

That's why I mentioned MAC address -> Reserved IP address
WiFi has one MAC address
Ethernet has another
Using hostname will mess it up

I am using WiFi only now, but I was using both:

I am remote and don't have physical access to the machine until tonight. If you want to troubleshoot with just ethernet.

Please just use ethernet. Wifi is awful for video servers. We have to be on just one interface right now to figure out your network issue. Having both on only leads us down wrong paths.
Please go into your network settings on mini and turn off the wifi

Try swapping Ethernet cables?

if the ethernet cable is plugged in, then you can turn off the wifi by remote and you will still be connected.

The router is correctly matching the WiFi MAC address and IP address with what the apple network settings are showing.

What do mean about "Using hostname will mess it up"?

Look, we are trying to help. If you would please use standard settings for now we can at least confirm or deny where the issue lies. Use IP address only, not hostnames, only the ethernet interface, wifi off, IP reserved in the router, Mac mini on DHCP only. This way we know we are dealing with a standard and reliable config.

Wasn't sure based on the screenshot you provided for the eero DHCP IP reservation since it displayed the hostname,

if it was binding by hostname or MAC address.

I don't have an eero or a Macintosh so lots of shooting in the dark.

It is not physically plugged in. When I return the machine this evening I can plug in the ethernet and disable WiFi.

NOTE:
Like I have started before I have been using BOTH interfaces at the SAME time for as long as I can remember. I don't know when I started seeing this intermittent problem. Don't if it was a router software upgrade or a MacOS point release. But the software has been rock solid for a long time.

Part of the troubleshooting from my Eero support was to only use ONE interface. So, I choose WiFI, because this is a multi purpose machine and I need to features lost when WiFi is turned off. I understand the limits of WiFi with video stream, but in my experience with my network it has not been a show stopper.

I Appreciate all of the efforts from the community on this. It has completely baffled me and I see it is frustrating you guys as well. I hope we can figure this out 'cause I love the product.

For the purpose of this issue, humor us and just use ethernet with the wifi off. Up to you what you want to do after its fixed but we can't trace this with two active interfaces and wifi is has a whole host of issues on its own that can affect servers.

I will pick this up this evening when I have physical access to the machine.

Update. I have disabled the WiFi adapter and plugged-in the ethernet. Channels is working now. I got a different IP 192.168.7.231. I removed and re-added the WiFi adapter and changed the order so WiFi is first and then ethernet. Restarted the server and Channels is still only finding 1 network the Ethernet adapter. both adapters are connected now but only one is registering by channelsdvr, ethernet. WiFi is 192.168.7.219.

Still have a problem with the WiFi adapter not being recongized by the Channels DVR Server. Maybe some with a Mac Min 2018 running laters OS can test if they can replicate this problem when only on WiFi. Still have ongoing issues as this is a multiple purpose machine and I still need WiFi functional.

Don't know if any one else wants to continue, but I will create a new thread for the WiFi adapter not being recognized by ChannelsDVR.

1 Like