Native speed test for tvOS and iOS

Still broke. Unknown error occurred
submitted under ab9f5d9d-5f58-426b-815b-db4aac7a2c9a

A bit of a difference between Safari http://192.168.1.4:8190/speedtest and the New Native Speed Test

This latest build should fix the remote access.

Does this fix the issue where it shows essentially zero download speed? I'm still seeing that one.

Yes it fixed it for me. Make sure you are on v2024.03.29.0505 or later on the app.

I did have a later version of the app installed but looks like I had to update my DVR too — now I'm good.

Good call. This does require an up-to-date pre-release build of the DVR to work correctly.

I wonder why it is slower in one direction?

I would also like to know.
Maybe first they should state what the down arrow speed and up arrow speed represents.
Is the down arrow the speed the client downloads data from the server?

My two results show download 564Mbps and down arrow 41.8Mbps - big difference.

This new test must also be doing something else... I wonder if the server cpu and drives are generating the bits to be downloaded at the same time it is sending them. My safari test is much faster too.

I do know that my LAN speed tests using other applications (testing read/write to the NAS drives over the network) have sightly slower write to the nas than read. But this is expected as the writes are doing RAID parity calculations. Nevertheless, my write to nas drives from my computer is faster than Channels DVR reports my atv network connection upload (both are connected with gigabit ethernet).

It doesn't match my iperf tests to the same server, either (tested in both directions)

:
Something is wrong with the Channels-DVR test.

I have two servers. One running proxmox and another running directly on synology nas. The server running on proxmox gives me 940 up and down. However on my synology nas I get 68 down and 940 up. I used a usb adapter and the native 1 gig on the nas and both gave the same response back. So I thought maybe a bad cable. So tried a different one and got the same thing. So I decided to do a speed test between my computer and the nas by uploading and downloading a movie. Speeds are close to 2Gbps or exceeds. So there is something odd with the speed reporting for download on Synology using Channels Speed Test.

Yeah, it has been determined to not work right for qnap either. Maybe it’s the aggregated links throwing it off. Or it could be that Channels app is not using the full bandwidth in both directions, in some cases. I hope its just a reporting issue, but, regardless, I haven't been having any real connection issues.

I have a further comparison using iperf vs channels speed test on the same apple tv. Keep in mind that iperf is the gold standard for network speed testing:

That's a great number for latency (not to mention it's fast too)!

Yes, I have cat6 drops throughout the house. My ATVs are hardwired. And yes, should be fast, it all runs at gigabit. Channels in-app test doesn't report both directions correctly, though.

iPhone on WiFi to Synology NAS that runs Channels DVR

iPhone using iPerfman v1.3.4 iOS app
Synology docker container running networkstatic/iperf3:latest

@eric @tmm1
Not sure if this old topic is related, but I see a large spike in Channels DVR CPU usage (80-97%) on my Synology NAS when running the new speedtest from my iPhone, just like I did in this old topic using my iPad where Aman fixed something.

As a comparison, iPerf test CPU usage is barely noticeable.

1 Like

Thats probably it. Whatever method cdvr is using to generate and send all those bits is maxing out the cpu before the full available bandwidth is reached.

Seeing these screenshots, I am curious about the units displayed. It looks like latency is being shown with “us” (as in the first-person plural pronoun), rather than “μs” (prefixed with the Greek letter mu for “micro-”). Am I correct?