New Apple TV 4K hardware!

Mine too. Need an idea on how to distract the wife for a couple hours so I can play with my new toy. Suggestions?

Send her to Target

2 Likes

Not especially creative, but I suppose it could work. Couldn't hurt to increase our toilet paper hoard.

2 Likes

Delivery #1 just arrived, I have paired a new Siri remote to my living room AppleTV 4K.

Working well with Channels, feels great in the hand :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Anyone else having issues with left and right button seeking on new remote?

Seems ok in other apps but channels has a hard time recognising the seek jumps.

1 Like

Yes. Skip seems to work on Hulu Netflix etc. but not on Channels.

1 Like

Got mine today. My first ever AppleTV but I’ve used a iPhone for years. So far I’m impressed. Navigation is very smooth compared to my FireTV. I like that I can change where the home button takes you. It defaults to the AppleTV app but you can change it to go home. Calibration works and and seemed to make a slight difference. Imported media seems to play better, especially MKV’s. I was pleased to find that Siri dictation works in search — I was prepared to be disappointed but it works well and is more elegantly deployed than Alexa on the FireTV. Will be nice when the skip function is worked out but I know it will so I’m not stressing over it. In the meantime, fast forward is actually usable on AppleTV. I found it to be absolutely useless on FireTV.

Just a few thoughts.

3 Likes

the SKIP works now on the new remove (as of the latest beta a 5.21.2135 few minutes ago)
JOG is the part I am hoping for!

1 Like

Is the jog gesture working in any other app? I couldn't get it to work in TV+

EDIT: Figured it out. You have to tap-and-hold for a second for the jog control to show up. This is something that's built-in to the system player, so its not going to work in Channels unless we recreate it from scratch.

So … how long to recreate it from scratch? Can you be done by morning? :smile:

2 Likes

I can’t seem to figure out the jog (in general not channels). What is it that you click?

I figured it out. I think I might have a hardware issue with mine. If I make a full circular motion it goes back and forth. Like the bottom sense is mounted backwards.

You have to pause, hold until the cursor on the screen turns into a little circle.

1 Like

I’m jogging on channels right now. Pause without holding, and jog from 6 o’clock to 9 o’clock to jog left and job from 6 to 3 o’clock to job to the right.

I understand it’s like a pause swipe, but it’s a jog!

Finally got it to work. For some reason my little jog circle wasn’t coming up. Now it suddenly works flawlessly without changing anything I’m doing.

I have found that I have to touch-and-hold the left/right of the new remote before the jumps will work. I cannot just click the left or right of the new remote, that will do nothing. Is it possible to get the click to immediately react with a jump and not need the touch-and-hold gesture first?

Video:

It works in the beta. Not in the official app yet.

v4.5.5 will be available from the App Store with the fix shortly.

2 Likes

Leaving this here in case anyone has a similar issue: with my older Apple TV 4K paired with the new remote, I needed a complete restart before the left/right buttons worked in Channels even with the latest beta.

2 Likes

Ah yes thank you. Restart makes it work for me now.

Official update now available for me

1 Like

Very weird, a restart fixed it at first but after a while they stopped working. I restarted again and the side clicks work again. I think I'm on a tvOS beta, not sure if that affects it. I submitted diagnostics.

1 Like