NEW: DVR Server + Tailscale integration, for easier Away from Home access (Experimental)

Got it working. I had Tailscale running on the Synology. Stopped it. Tried again on phone and it connected.

Something must be different with your setup.
I'm able to have my Synology Tailscale package running and Channels DVR Tailscale enabled and access either of them. Connecting to the Channels DVR Tailscale IP I don't add the port :8089. Connecting to the Synology Tailscale IP I have to add the port :8089.
I'm able to switch back and forth between them.

iPhone with latest Channels for iOS beta (11.10.2046)
All Tailscale versions are 1.32

So I uninstalled Tailscale on the Synology. Reinstalled it and ran. Was able to connect to Channels. Don't know why it wouldn't before but glad it's working now.

1 Like

Good to hear you got it working.

Tailscale maintains the Synology packages, but has to submit them to Synology for it to appear in the Synology Package Center, which still has the old version 1.22.2. The latest stable v1.32.2 Synology package is available at tailscale https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/#spks for manual loading.

Thanks. Did the upgrade and it's working fine.

1 Like

How to share a device (node) on your tailnet with a user on a different tailscale account (different tailnet)

How often will the built-in tailscale versions be updated?

The built-in version in Channels DVR Server and Channels iOS Client is v1.32.1

The lastest stable release is v1.32.3

I've updated my Synology NAS's and Windows PC to v1.32.3 because of this Security Bulletins · Tailscale

The latest iOS version available is still at v1.32.2 ‎Tailscale on the App Store

App Store just updated to v1.32.3

I'm having a weird issue. I enabled tailscale in the debug menu, signed in, and chose to connect "At Home" with my DVR server's tailscale address. However, whenever I stop using the channels app and then open it up later it defaults back to using the "Away From Home" channels relayed connection. If I chose "At Home" again and put in my DVR server's tailscale IP address it connects back. But it's not able to keep the connection over tailscale between uses.

I'm trying this out on a "test" DVR instance. I already have another DVR instance running on the same account with remote access enabled. On the "test" Tailscale DVR the webui shows that is it constantly trying to request a LetsEncrypt certificate, can this be ignored or is possibly trying to override the existing SSL certificate for my account?

Is there an error? It should be able to get a cert. Each DVR gets its own copy of the cert

It eventually finished. I guess there is no issue with 2 DVR's having the same cert since the cert is issued to the domain and not the IP correct? The only conflict would be if both DVR's had ports forwarded?

This is fantastic timing, just got a T-Mobile Home Internet yesterday. But this topic was hard for me to find until I switched to sort by date.

I have it working on my Android phone, I'll just have to figure out how to install it on my Fire Stick device in my trailer. Fortunately I have a Fire device here at home, but Tailscale does not seem to be in the Amazon library.

BTW, in the trailer I connect via multiple hotspots, so I'm going to guess that this will mean I'll have to authenticate a lot less since Channels won't see the different connection, and instead just the tailscale IP address.

2 Likes

I just realized we also take a Windows computer with us with some downloaded content, just in case. I can just set that up with Tailscale now so that it's all setup just in case I have issues with the Fire Stick.

Link broken to the downloader?

2 Likes

Tailscale | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

2 Likes

Have a dumb question.

Ive been migrating to t-mobile CGNAT..
Ive got tailscale working perfectly for remote access.
I have a double NAT situation (old router behind the tmobile trash can)

I have a tailscale ip for BOTH my mac mini, as well as channels DVR server using the integration tool.

At home I run my mac mini headless as a server, with channels dvr.

Im used to accessing the web administration tools on my local network. Ive been using the my.channelsdvr.net addtress, but i think its blocked because there is no port forwarding.

1: can someone confirm the my.channelsdvr.net will be trashed in my use case because of the CGNAT. As a sanity check please.. I think thats what it is going on, and im new the double NAT stuff and learning.

if i run a web browser on my mac mini and use the 127.0.0.1:8089/admin/settings I can get to the administration webUI.

2: How do i run the adminsitration web interface on my local network, but on a different machine’s web browser (im using my iPad for this)

3: i tried using both the 127…. and my tailscale ip addresses to get to the webui to no avail.

Otherwise im having very good luck when away from home using tailscale with channels.

On your iPad browser try using the dvr ip (Mac mini)
http://ser.ver.ip.xxx:8089/admin/settings
You can find the ip on the app under settings

1 Like

Thank you! Your awesome.
Works great!

1 Like